• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Had my annual physical yesterday and got the annual chewing out for not being active enough (very true). My schedule is prohibitive of going to a gym or fitness club regularly. I have tried to get in the habit of walking everyday but that is hard enough when the weather is good, let alone now.

What I do have is a 45 minute to hour or so in the morning when I drink coffee and watch the news. Pretty religious about that. I figure I can do that sitting on a couch or doing low impact exercise. So I am considering getting some equipment. I think an elliptical would be ideal - low impact, good aerobic workout, works more muscles than just walking - and am considering either a Schwinn A40 or a ProForm Hybrid Trainor XT. Both have very good reviews as entry level machines. The display, programing and quality seem a bit better with the A40. The ProForm XT has one big advantage that it can be used both as an elliptical or a recumbent bike.

Cost is $399 (amazon) for the A40 and $499 (academy) for the XT so not much difference there. And I do not want to spend more than that for my first. If I love it and get fanatical, I will upgrade later. Does Ingo have any thoughts or wisdom to share?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    My own personal experience (although unfortunately not recently enough) I enjoy the elliptical vs the recumbent and have never been a big fan of the treadmill. For me the elliptical is more "comfortable" than a bike of any kind. I got to a point where I was doing 45 minutes to an hour per day and sitting on any style exercise bike always seemed to wear pretty hard on the ole gluteal area after 20 minutes or so. The elliptical on the other hand is essentially just walking but you're including arm movement as well. Having said all that though the wife and I are looking forward to getting back on our real bikes once the weather warms up a little more.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I hate treadmills, but we have a Proform. My wife and younger daughter use it every day and my daughter is a distance "hobbyiset" (4 to 6 miles every day). It has done well for us.

I don't know anything about ellipticals or recumbent. I walk outside for 45 minutes every morning regardless of temperature, but not in the rain.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    We have a Proform treadmill and a Nortictrack recumbent. You can hang way more clothes on the treadmill! :lmfao:
    But personally I like the recumbent for workouts better since it leaves you arms free. I usually surf the TV , drink, or operate a phone or laptop.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I have a Schwinn 430. It can be a serious ass kicker when the resistance is increased. I've had it for about 4 years and go through times were I use it 5-6 days a week for a handful of months, then I get bored and stop for another handful of months. So far it's been trouble free.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Had an old True PS100 treadmill that I had thousands of miles on. After 12 years it was worn out so I replaced it with a Precor 223...then tore my meniscus and really can’t run anymore. The Precor is a great residential treadmill.

Now I have a Schwinn IC4 spin bike...not inexpensive ($899) but a LOT cheaper than a Peloton. I watch a lot of Rick and Morty and Narcos while free spinning, but could easily subscribe to iFit, Peloton’s app, etc. for classes.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    It’s more money, but it’s also a way better way to go.

Concept2 rowing machine. It’s freaking awesome. I’m on it every night.

I have done the treadmill thing, and I have an elliptical and bike. The rowing machine is a much more superior machine, plus you get a better workout in less the time.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have the Proform hybrid and really like it. I use the recumbent for warmup and cooldown, and do the standing elliptical in between. I don't take the time to prop up the foot pedals when I am sitting. I leave them flat and just put my feet on the backs of the pedals.

It's a great machine. I don't think you'd be sorry.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    You get what you pay for with ellipticals you want to get the best one you can afford as the cheaper ones often feel rickety and unbalanced. Enjoy the new workouts.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I have done the treadmill thing, and I have an elliptical and bike. The rowing machine is a much more superior machine, plus you get a better workout in less the time.
    I'm thinking about a rowing machine...once I get the exercise room finished.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

Well I could fulfill my Frank Underwood House of Cards fantasy I guess. Wait, that sounds wrong.

But yeah, $1,300 or so is a little steep but I may have to give one a try.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have the Proform hybrid and really like it. I use the recumbent for warmup and cooldown, and do the standing elliptical in between. I don't take the time to prop up the foot pedals when I am sitting. I leave them flat and just put my feet on the backs of the pedals.

It's a great machine. I don't think you'd be sorry.
    I really appreciate your input. Exactly the info I need.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I bought a big expensive elliptical for the wife probably 15 years ago. She used it a lot and at a high rate of speed. Had to change the tires on it. I have been using it. It gives you a good work out. It is big and takes up space.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I really appreciate your input. Exactly the info I need.
    The only downside about the Proform is assembly. It's been at least five years since I got mine, but I remember it was a b**** to put together. Heavy and awkward. Helps if you have an extra person.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ellipticals are ****. Do some DD on them. In what area of life do you mimic what an elliptical machine does?

Also, home exercise equipment is expensive right now. That same Concept2 Rower was under a grand a year ago. Which btw, would be the only piece of equipment I could recommend.

Another idea: think about how listening to the news every day helps your health and well being. And when you figure out it doesn't help at all, ditch it, put on a backpack with some weight (work up to it) and go for a ruck.

Walking is not good enough for most of us. Adding some weight will transform the activity of walking into an aerobic and strength training workout all in one. You could even take your coffee with you if you really had to have it. Otherwise, drink the coffee when you get back. 30 minutes of rucking is plenty in the short term. You will burn a lot of calories!

I know I'm coming off a little "coarse" maybe, but there are basements and garages all over the country with exercise equipment stuck in a corner with very little use and very much dust!

Discipline yourself to get outside and ruck. We are getting close to spring so you won't be in too much inclement weather. And so what if you are. Dress accordingly. Then, if by next fall you have proven to yourself to be disciplined in that activity, consider buying a rower to get you through those days (or months) that you don't want to venture outside.

I stay cold most all the time, it's just the way my body is. But I have made it to the range every weekend since last summer. You can do it.

And I won't even get into the mental benefits of getting outside and clearing your head of all that is going on in this world.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Ellipticals are ****. Do some DD on them. In what area of life do you mimic what an elliptical machine does?
    Greg, with all due respect, I think that's a bit harsh. Ellipticals are not meant to mimic "real life" activities. They are a way to get a cardio workout and work the arms and legs with as little impact on joints as possible. Because of arthritis, weight, or other physical limitations, not everyone can get out and walk, run, or 'ruck'. I can't walk outdoors or on a treadmill for more than a couple of minutes, but I can go 15-20 on my elliptical, and I do it every day. Are they for everyone? Of course not, but mine has been a godsend to me. I would not be so quick to discourage the OP.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Greg, with all due respect, I think that's a bit harsh. Ellipticals are not meant to mimic "real life" activities. They are a way to get a cardio workout and work the arms and legs with as little impact on joints as possible. Because of arthritis, weight, or other physical limitations, not everyone can get out and walk, run, or 'ruck'. I can't walk outdoors or on a treadmill for more than a couple of minutes, but I can go 15-20 on my elliptical, and I do it every day. Are they for everyone? Of course not, but mine has been a godsend to me. I would not be so quick to discourage the OP.
    You're right. I did say I was being a little coarse which is actually a bit contrary to my normal behavior. I'm glad they work for you and you are not having any knee issues. They can be quite hard on certain joints if they are a lower priced/lower quality machine.

Snorko, just try before you buy if you are set on a piece of equipment.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Snap and gregkl, you both make very good arguments for very different positions. I agree on the effects of watching the news, but I am mostly watching the local stuff which, being Evansville, rarely is depressing. I can walk with no problem and on a 2019 trip to Hungary averaged 16,000 steps per day. So a good long ruck is doable but a quick 20-30 minutes on a machine is a much more efficient use of time.

Top Bottom