• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Snap and gregkl, you both make very good arguments for very different positions. I agree on the effects of watching the news, but I am mostly watching the local stuff which, being Evansville, rarely is depressing. I can walk with no problem and on a 2019 trip to Hungary averaged 16,000 steps per day. So a good long ruck is doable but a quick 20-30 minutes on a machine is a much more efficient use of time.
    I actually get a local E'ville feed on my IG page. You probably remember that my daughter lives there and her and her mother have plans for us to move there when I retire. So I figure I may as well start getting a better feel for the area. It's not like I have a choice to not move there. ;)

I get it though. Doing something in your home is efficient. Try to pick up used if you can. Right now is tough. I outfitted my garage two years ago and last summer sold all of it in 24 hours and made money on it! I could have made even more, but I decided to be fair in my pricing. There is a lot of demand right now. It may wane if covid restrictions loosen up and people head back to the gym. Then I suspect prices on used equipment will plummet netting you a good deal if you can find something else to do for a couple months. Speculative on my part? Sure. And I didn't buy Gamestop stock.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Rogue Echo assault bike (aka "The Devil's Tricycle"). 5 minutes never felt so long.

RQnbHw1.jpg

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Ellipticals are all very different in their motion, the best piece of advice I can give you is to physically get on the model you are interested in and give it ten minutes. Run over to a 'Play it Again Sports' or the local sporting goods store that is selling them and jump on one of the floor models. The motion can be clunky on even the most expensive ones - I tried a $4K model at Bicycle Garage Indy and it wasn't smooth. I struggle with migraine headaches and don't need anything that has a motion to it that is a thump instead of a smooth spin.

Everyone's preferences will be different...does the stride fit you...is the arm motion comfortable...is that too much work on your knees...etc... I settled on SOLE, there are a few models (not all of them) that are smooth. A few months ago we purchased a used SOLE E35 off of Marketplace after researching them for months, and watching for people selling the models I was interested in. Use the INGO classifieds and post a WTB with the model/models you are interested in. As someone suggested earlier, there may be a member or two on here that has a fancy clothes hanger collecting dust that they might be willing to sell.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I have a membership to Anytime Fitness, might not work for you but I enjoy their hours.
    Keep at any regimen you decide on. When I got on an elliptical the first time 8 years ago I lasted 2 minutes. Now I can go 45 minutes, raise my heart rate to the 140's and hold it. I slow down it slows, go faster it goes up. No gasping or pain. O2 stays at 97%.

Good luck.

Don

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -snip-
    I think an elliptical would be ideal - low impact, good aerobic workout, works more muscles than just walking
    -snip-

I had quadruple bypass back in 2015, and in cardio rehab they had me on most everything as I progressed.
    The last week they put me on the elliptical and I WAS SOLD!
    Of everything in the place, I got the BEST workout on the elliptical.

I liked the elliptical so much I researched them and invested in a commercial quality one that I STILL use often.
    Combine the elliptical with some resistance training, and I can get all the workout I need and never have to leave home.

I have it and my power cage in the man cave, and can listen to music or watch TV or movies while I exercise.

I have early osteoarthritis in my knees and right hip, and am told not to do any running or long distance walking.
    So the elliptical is PERFECT for me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You get what you pay for with ellipticals you want to get the best one you can afford as the cheaper ones often feel rickety and unbalanced. Enjoy the new workouts.
    Ellipticals are all very different in their motion, the best piece of advice I can give you is to physically get on the model you are interested in and give it ten minutes. Run over to a 'Play it Again Sports' or the local sporting goods store that is selling them and jump on one of the floor models. The motion can be clunky on even the most expensive ones - I tried a $4K model at Bicycle Garage Indy and it wasn't smooth. I struggle with migraine headaches and don't need anything that has a motion to it that is a thump instead of a smooth spin.

Everyone's preferences will be different...does the stride fit you...is the arm motion comfortable...is that too much work on your knees...etc... I settled on SOLE, there are a few models (not all of them) that are smooth. A few months ago we purchased a used SOLE E35 off of Marketplace after researching them for months, and watching for people selling the models I was interested in. Use the INGO classifieds and post a WTB with the model/models you are interested in. As someone suggested earlier, there may be a member or two on here that has a fancy clothes hanger collecting dust that they might be willing to sell.

I agree with not buying an inexpensive elliptical and also in SOLE as a good brand. I believe the model I have is the E25, a step down from what OG has and it's been good. It has a longer "track" or whatever for the pedals to move on which I believe is better than the shorter one on the Schwinn you're looking at. I used mine 2 or 3 times a week for about 5 years and then it started having issues. I called their support and they sent me a brand new computer for it that I replaced myself (pretty easy). Has worked fine since, another couple of years. I'm now using it every other day for 45 minutes and it provides a really nice cardio workout. I watch TV while using it and it helps me to get through the workout. Mine was $1k about 7 or 8 years ago, so they aren't cheap, but from the research I did at the time, you don't want to cheap out on buying an elliptical.

I only use mine in the colder months and hike or jog when it gets warmer, but I like that you get a full body workout using the device.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Wife had the bowflex treadclimber and switched to the bowflex max it’s the m3 and my wife loves it. I have tried it and like it too.
    Agree wholeheartedly about ellipticals. I used take care of a campus fitness center and have worked on all kinds of treadmills elliptical and rowing machines. Space consuming but you get what you pay for .. hunt around there always good ones for sale.
    A lot of great advice and information on this thread

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I agree with not buying an inexpensive elliptical
    -snip-

I agree too.

After researching it in early 2016, I found there's 3 basic types.
    Front, center, and rear drive ellipticals.

I found the CENTER DRIVE seemed the best all around, as it seems to mimic the walking motion the best, has a more upright stance for the user, and it puts less strain on the hips.

I ended up buying a Landice E7 Elliptimill in Spring of 2016.
    (I'm not sure if that model is till offered)
    I bought the bottom end one that has less electronic bells and whistles, but is still the same structurally as the high end model.
    It STILL wasn't cheap, but after having had quadruple bypass surgery, I NEVER want to have to do it again, and need a solid dependable unit.

It's a heavy (about 400 lbs), solid, commercial quality unit, and they even came to my place and put it together for me.
    I'VE BEEN VERY HAPPY WITH IT, and it's been trouble free for 5 years so far.

Attachments

• LandiceElliptomill_.jpg
      LandiceElliptomill_.jpg
      452.5 KB · Views: 5
    Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I must have lucked out, then. My ProForm Hybrid elliptical/recumbent combo cost me $399 five or six years ago and it's very solid with a smooth action.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    We have an older elliptical at home, which was neglected for many years until the pandemic. It now sees a lot more use. My wife has back issues and cannot use it, so we are looking at some other options.

Instead of sitting on the sofa watching TV, I find it easy to get on the elliptical and watch TV, put on music, or listen to a podcast.

I would give similar advice to anyone considering purchasing fitness equipment as I would to anyone looking to purchase a firearm. In this case, go to a gym and try them out, to see what works for you. Go several times. You might find that with an elliptical you don't get the intensity that you want, or that a treadmill is painful on your joints. Get as much information as you can before making a large purchase.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I must have lucked out, then. My ProForm Hybrid elliptical/recumbent combo cost me $399 five or six years ago and it's very solid with a smooth action.
    The Hybrid XT is $499 at Academy. So still a good price. I have been talking with some friends about this and one just told me h had a Nordictrack SL 710 recumbent bike he would give me. So that makes the A40 the winner now of the two.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The Hybrid XT is $499 at Academy. So still a good price. I have been talking with some friends about this and one just told me h had a Nordictrack SL 710 recumbent bike he would give me. So that makes the A40 the winner now of the two.
    Good deal. As long as you have the space, seems like that's the way to go.

Top Bottom