• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Say you're having dinner with the wife and kids at Denny's. Tonight you happen to be unarmed. In strolls ten Hell's Angels open carrying, and are seated in close proximity. They have the right to belong in a motorcycle club, as long as they are law abiding, right? They have the right to open carry if they have a permit, right?

But I'm guessing you and your family won't be enjoying dinner as much from that point on, and won't be staying for dessert.

Wow so in your eyes I must be a real piece of **** since I have tattoos, ride a Harley, and while I am not a Hell's Angel I pass for one.

Guess it's a good thing I prefer CC otherwise I would make you and your family uncomfortable and you would have dessert.

You are not only not "pro-gun" you are also not very intelligent.

hmmm let me see if I understand you:

Just guessing at your view points.

Biker=Bad
    Black=bad
    Yellow=bad
    brown=bad
    OC=bad
    Anybody who doesn't think and act just like you=bad

You really need to open your eyes to the rest of the world, While I am the vision of everything you dislike apparently I would give you the shirt off my back if you needed it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    For me this is really simple.

Scutter followed corporate policy.

Scutter was treated rudely and like a pariah for following corporate policy.

And on top of it, the treatment seemed to be sanctioned by a person of authority (whoever the "AP" was).

I know there are obvious other issues like OC. But on a basic level, Scutter was treated like crap for following Cabelas own rules.

The statement that they (workers at Cabelas, I assume) shouldn't have to look at that thing really pisses me off. As I said in an earlier post, it must be mentally harmful for all those poor Cabelas staff to have to deal with all those evil guns in the store.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.

And on top of it, the treatment seemed to be sanctioned by a person of authority (whoever the "AP" was).

I know there are obvious other issues like OC. But on a basic level, Scutter was treated like crap for following Cabelas own rules.

The statement that they (workers at Cabelas, I assume) shouldn't have to look at that thing really pisses me off. As I said in an earlier post, it must be mentally harmful for all those poor Cabelas staff to have to deal with all those evil guns in the store.

Gee Bigum...... How un-newbie and un-liberal of you!!! What will the new kids think?!?!? :laugh: :p

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I carry a concealed handgun but I would prefer a lightsaber, so I don't consider myself pro-gun. However, the issue in this thread appears to be about the attitude of a minimum wage clerk who should have added "pretty please, with cream and sugar" and thus there wouldn't be any bruised egos to get fired-up about.

Wow really so this is just about "Bruised egos" and "Minimum wage clerks".
    Thanks for the insight.

I have personally never met Scutter but he appears to be a intelligent and reasonable guy so I don't "assume" it is about a "bruised ego" as you put it.

Since you are new to our little group I will let that slide. But please read and understand the OP. This is about a clear violation of not only our rights granted by the State Of Indiana when we are issued a LTCH but also a clear violation of corporate policy.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do you guys honestly think that because there is a "policy" statement for the corporation, that local managers could not use their own judgment, and be supported by corporate?

So, you are saying that, if a store manager doesn't agree with company policy for whatever reason, they can make up their own policy? You really think that corporate would support a store manager who decided that they didn't like company policy and refused to abide by it?

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac

There you guy guys this post is 100000% correct!!!!:rockwoot:

It was not turned into an OC vs CC thing the poster read the OP and made a educated and unemotional comment!!!!!

Thank you sir you have brightened my day!!!!:+1:

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Wow so in your eyes I must be a real piece of **** since I have tattoos, ride a Harley, and while I am not a Hell's Angel I pass for one.

[JOKE]Not for me. It's the level of body odor... Do you stink? :): Cleanliness is next to godliness. Tattoos, ride a Harley, pass for a Hell's Angel, and smell like a daisy? I'm all good. [/JOKE]

[RANT]Neither libs or righties hold an exclusive license on being a damn xenophope. Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out but don't be so xenophobic that you live your live in fear and hate. Both sides of the "aisle" in DC need to learn that lesson.[/RANT]

Scutter - That's bullcrap. Sounds like a very personal issue on the part of store staff and not a corporate issue. Continue with efforts to get these freaky chuckleheads out of that store via corporate office. Post the necessary emails addresses and we'll join you.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    [JOKE]Not for me. It's the level of body odor... Do you stink? :): Cleanliness is next to godliness. Tattoos, ride a Harley, pass for a Hell's Angel, and smell like a daisy? I'm all good. [/JOKE]
    Depends on the time of day and how long I have been riding, if your not a 300lb tattooed leather clad biker that apparently scares people at Denny's you wouldn't understand.:laugh: Sweat plus leather plus miles of open roadplus lets not forget that evil gun equals a possibly olfactory offensive man.:D

[RANT]Neither libs or righties hold an exclusive license on being a damn xenophope. Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out but don't be so xenophobic that you live your live in fear and hate. Both sides of the "aisle" in DC need to learn that lesson.[/RANT]
    Ok I have to type something outside of your quote to post. I wonder if this is enough?

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    I'm still kinda confused about why a police officer (who is off duty) should have any more right to carry in the store than a citizen.. (I think Bill already kinda touched on this)

I know of a large retail establishment that has a corporate policy that says the only folks who are allowed to have firearms in the store are on-duty, uniformed police officers. (Policy is generally not followed, reading some of the threads on here, as people have both CCd and OCd in the establishment with no issue)

Anyhow, if that were the policy, then sorry Mr. Off Duty, we don't allow firearms in here. If you want to go back outside and change into your duty gear and clock in you can return, but until then, sorry Jack..

If having firearms in the store is such a scary thing, and the soccer moms are nervous about seeing ebil firearms, then what's it matter to the management if the person is an off-duty officer? If somebody's so concerned that they're reporting a person with a firearm, they could probably care less if that person is a public servant..

Am I off base or too tired to be typing this morning?

You might be a bit drowsy. :) Society, in general, EXPECTS an LEO to be armed. Do you not realize this? Really? It has nothing to do with what you think is right or wrong, or what is written down in some statute. People expect an LEO to have a gun, much the same as you would expect to see a stethoscope around a doctor's neck. It's not that the LEO has more of a right to carry....it's that his/her position in society requires that he/she carry.

Besides, I know quite a few LEO's, and none of them would even think of open carrying off-duty, so this whole argument is moot anyway. The few rookies who might want to strap their badge and gun on and go strutting around town would be quickly smacked with a healthy dose of common sense about "staying under the radar" by the veteran officers.

I'm not saying that it's right or valid for Susie Soccer Mom to be scared or alarmed about someone carrying a firearm around in a public setting. I'm just saying that this is how things are in some places. Especially if open carry is rare in that area. That's why I always CC. 100% of the protection for me and my family...and none of the drama.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    But if you are in my store with a gun, how do I know you are not a kook? With my psychic powers? All I know is you are not a benefit to me...and could possibly be a liability. No store is going to have a desire or expectation for their customers to be their protectors in event of robbery. Quite the opposite.

To be honest, when I see someone open carrying, which is almost never, the first thing I think of is not "gee, I am glad he's out there protecting our gun rights", I think, is he a militia kook or something? Is he an attention-seeking kook? First and foremost, I consider them a threat and am mindful of them.

Say you're having dinner with the wife and kids at Denny's. Tonight you happen to be unarmed. In strolls ten Hell's Angels open carrying, and are seated in close proximity. They have the right to belong in a motorcycle club, as long as they are law abiding, right? They have the right to open carry if they have a permit, right?

But I'm guessing you and your family won't be enjoying dinner as much from that point on, and won't be staying for dessert.

I do not understand why you are ashamed of our 2nd Amendment rights and the legal ability of free citizens to carry weapons. You clearly are. Could you please explain that to me?

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    wow, what the hell is going on back home, I have never been told anything about my gun in any store I ever went to, i was LEO but still no one ever asked.... I have never shopped there and never will!!

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I agree with the letter philosophy.

Not patronizing a store doesn't solve the problem. And while I agree with it in principle, the reality is that you go there for a reason.

What I mean is this; If I can go somewhere and buy ammo at the lowest prioce around, I'll deal with a lot of crap; long lines, crappy service, etc. The reason I do this is because I want to save money.

I equate everything to math. I went to the Lafayette gun show (even though I was sure it would be a crappy show) and didn't buy squat except for 10 zippered pistol sleeves. I paid $25 for all 10, yet paid $10 admission for the wife and I to get in. All in all - $35 for 10 sleeves. This is still a better price than I could have gotten at a gun store or Dick's, Gander, etc. And I got to look at a few cool things/guns while I was there.

Ultimately, pissing people off for OC issues doesn't really affect their bottom line. Stores like this don't need your business. They're just that big, and for evey one of us that boycott's Cabela's in favor of Gander Mountain (for example), there's always someone who's doing the same; boycotting Gander in favor of Cabela's.

It's the moms and pops that need to shine; not Gander, Cabela's, Bass Pro or Dick's.

I only bring this up because I, too, vote with my dollars; Meaning I'd like to keep as many of them as I can. And not patronizing them only helps their ignorance of not knowing their rules and the laws. This is once again an educational tool for the mass os sheeple.

I'd write the letter, get it laminated and take it in every time I went in to Cabela's. When asked to leave, I'd present it and ask that someone with proper authority contact me right then and there BEFORE I left. I would think even an LEO would cut you some slack if you showed LEO the corporate letter typed on their letterhead stating it was okay vs. a jarhead cashier saying "we shouldn't have to look at that." For all we know, the store manager wasn't even working and had he been, it wouldn't have even been an issue. It's no excuse for the "AP" to not have known their policy, but in retail, policies are NEVER communicated clear enough to ALL employees.

Speaking of which, did you speak to a manager, or just a $6.00 an hour cashier?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    snip

Stores like this don't need your business. They're just that big, and for evey one of us that boycott's Cabela's in favor of Gander Mountain (for example), there's always someone who's doing the same; boycotting Gander in favor of Cabela's.
    snip

K-mart adopted this line of thinking.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ok I have to type something outside of your quote to post. I wonder if this is enough?

Wow Mike, loose some weight. I gave up my Harley for a bicycle so I could be fit and trim, but of course because of the bicycle my knees are now crap and I am getting fat anyway. :rolleyes:

Guess I will have to go to Cabelas and get those deals the other guys will miss when they quit the store.

Hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion, right?

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    K-mart adopted this line of thinking.

I could be missing something here. Kmart is still in business. Albeit, they've shrunk, just as Target has (Thanks to Wally)

I used to be a store manager for both Best Buy and Circuit City several years ago.

I've dealt with customers complaining about OC'ing in the store. it's quite simple actually; they're doing no harm. They're entitled to be here just as you are, and to be perfectly honest, the ones in that scenario I refused to help were the complainers.

If you don't like what my company says or the laws of the state, you are free to shop somewhere else. Jonny Gunowner gets to stay. And when the police came, I would actually go to the gun owner with LEO and tell them the same; that the man with a gun is more than welcome to stay as long as need be.

No employee will EVER get in trouble for following a company's policy. There is no debate here; Scutter was wronged, and the thinking and attitudes of retailers and their employers MUST change.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Thanks for the story. Might not be much but they loose one more customer here.
    "oh and mabey someone should send them this 14 pages in 12 hours/.... that's quite a slandering they'v brought on themselves." considering we are their customer base.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    If cabela's won't accept OC, EVEN if policy allows it , by all means boycot, write them, etc.But its become CCvsOC. If I disagree with someone, fine. But there are other opinions. I CC every time I'm IN PUBLIC . PERIOD. I'm not frightened by an OC r. It seems people are offended BY ANY ANALOGY to try to make them understand what the general public thinks. You have the right to look how you want. It may not be fair, but grandma won't be as concerned by a man in slacks, shirt, and tie OCing as to a biker dude.

Agent 007

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009

No self-respecting 1%er is going to eat at Denny's. :):

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom