• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    M&P is fine...with a snap cap. I have been doing it for years with no problems.

No snap cap necessary. Dry fire away!

Dry fire practice is an extremely valuable training tool, but before I begin I want both visual and tactile verification of an empty chamber. Snap caps are great for malfunction drills at the range to simulate a FTF during live fire, but for practice at home, I want an empty chamber.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    No snap cap necessary. Dry fire away!

Dry fire practice is an extremely valuable training tool, but before I begin I want both visual and tactile verification of an empty chamber. Snap caps are great for malfunction drills at the range to simulate a FTF during live fire, but for practice at home, I want an empty chamber.

Great point! Even though you can purchase red snap caps, I still understand your point.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

From my reading and understanding dry firing does absolutely no damage to centerfire weapons. Rimfire is a no-no, but centerfire will not harm the weapon.

I think this is urban legend. Perhaps in the early days of cased ammunition there were issues with poor metal fatigue but this was all removed with industrial strength materials in WWI.

In the old west some cowboys carried their revolver on an empty cylinder to avoid misfire. Why don't we do that today? Not needed. Same goes with firing pins on modern (read post WWI) centerfire weapons.

This is simply put a carryover that is no longer necessary to worry about from days gone by. We also shouldn't talk on the telephone during a storm. This comes from the era of metal telephone lines that could conduct electricity. Now? Fibre optics. No fear of lightning but some seniors are still afraid to talk during a storm. They aren't stupid but they are not taking into account the reasoning behind their concern.

Dry fire away. All except rimfires. And I do believe there are a few of those that are fine but in order to avoid giving misleading information I will err on the side of caution.

Just my opinion of course.

Regards,

Doug

PS - I have dry fired many of my C&R rifles and never had a problem.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I don't dry fire because the firing pin is built into the end my revolvers hammer, which I heard is not something that is wise to dry fire. So you people saying ALL centerfires can be dry fired, does that include if the firing pin is on the end of the hammer built into it?

Insurance? I can't remember, does the NRA free insurance cover damage to firing pins from dry firing? Or is it only damage due to using the gun in self defense.

I plan on getting snap caps so I can dry fire.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I don't dry fire because the firing pin is built into the end my revolvers hammer, which I heard is not something that is wise to dry fire. So you people saying ALL centerfires can be dry fired, does that include if the firing pin is on the end of the hammer built into it?

Insurance? I can't remember, does the NRA free insurance cover damage to firing pins from dry firing? Or is it only damage due to using the gun in self defense.

I plan on getting snap caps so I can dry fire.

What kind of revolver?
    My S&W 625 that is used in competition with the firing pin mounted on the hammer has been dry fired hundreds of thousands of times with no snap caps and no problems.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    What kind of revolver?
    My S&W 625 that is used in competition with the firing pin mounted on the hammer has been dry fired hundreds of thousands of times with no snap caps and no problems.

It is a rossi model 69 original sales receipt was the 70s imported by INTERARMS . I am new to handguns, and went online searching for the same thing the OP asked. I typed it in google though, not a thread of INGO. Someone said that revolvers are OK to dry fire unless you have an older one with the hammer being the firing pin. I guess if you guys say it's fine, it's fine though. He said it was excessive wear or something like that.

The hammer comes back, and the hammer IS the firing pin, it is not mounted on, it's like the metal was shaped into a pin. So if it breaks off, or wears away, you have to buy a whole new hammer assembly. But if it hits nothing, and there is no risk of damage, please let me know, I would love to dry fire it.

chadman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Here's something someone told me a long time ago and it's what I teach my daughter. I put a penny or nickel on the front sight to see if it falls off. Shows if she's pulling too hard.

atkinson3069

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    it is fine to dry fire a 1911 i would not recommend dry firing a rim fire but a center fire you will not hurt at all

Effingham

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Franklin
    I'm a snap-cap user, too. Seriously, why worry about it when for a few bucks you can make the question irrelevant (and also get training in "operating" the gun's mechanism at the same time)?

Top Bottom