• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    The only thing I would have done differently would be calling the police before I went outside. You can bet your butt I'd be outside right after that though. Last summer someone took a wooden chair and beat on my car with it. $2000 in damage:
    6f73b8fd.jpg

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I won't judge the OP's actions, but I have several general "rules of engagement" that may apply:

If I observe criminal activity that adversely affects me or an innocent third party, I will generally call 911 if I have an opportunity to do so.

In the event of a perceived or potential threat, I will generally not move from a protected environment to an unprotected environment - particularly at night - absent extremely exigent circumstances (e.g., the immediate need to preserve life or prevent serious bodily injury to an innocent third party).

I will use reasonable force (but not deadly force) to protect property (mine or others') if it is absolutely necessary, although I will generally not put myself into a position where matters may escalate to include the necessary use of a firearm merely to protect property. I say "generally" because I can envision making a lawful citizen's arrest under some circumstances if I observe a felony being committed that involves the theft or destruction of property, and Indiana law allows the pointing of a firearm as part of effecting a lawful citizen's arrest. However, as mentioned, I would not envision leaving a protected environment and entering an unprotected environment - particularly at night - merely to protect property.

In terms of my neighbors, I think the "golden rule" applies, and I wouldn't expect my neighbors to use deadly force (or even the use of a firearm) to protect my property (primarily because it's generally not legal to do so). And I think that expectation should be reciprocal. In this regard, if my neighbors observe my property being damaged or stolen and they immediately call 911, I'll be perfectly content (and probably bake them a nice batch of cookies). I would hope they'd have the same expectation of me.

Again, I'm not advising anyone else what to do or criticizing the OP. I wasn't there.

Guy

Spot on Guy.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    nope, i will never draw down on someone for anything related to property.....worst case maybe if someone was threatening my property by virtue of trespassing, causing imminent danger, life threatened and all that....but in that case lives are threatened, not property......property is replaceable, people are not, that's my moral compass. I can buy new ****, can't buy a new daughter, etc...

what i am saying is i carry because i know there are people like yourself who admittedly said they would actually draw a weapon over a car being vandalized. That is an irresponsible use of a firearm. You have no right to introduce deadly force in a non-deadly situation. People who are irresponsible with firearms are the reason I carry one myself. Responsibility means knowing when to put yourself, as a carrying individual, in a situation or not. I would ask that you do NOT put yourself between a perp and my car with a weapon. Let it go. It's a car.
    Please go back and find where I ever said I would draw on someone. All I ever stated was I would go outside and yell at someone and you jump to the conclusion, 1) I have a gun on me 2) if I do I have I have it out and I am ready to shoot someone.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The second guy in the scenario scares the crap out of me. You didn't comment that you had seen him before the takedown move. If he dropped the other guy that easily, he probably was capable of dropping you quickly as well, especially if you weren't aware of him.

A blended option is call police (they take statements for insurance too, you had
    No idea car wasn't being damaged) and then open a window and light them up, yell, etc to get it to stop.

This is all Monday morning (how convenient it's Monday) quarterbacking but it's how we prepare in our own lives. In the end, it's either steel or plastic, let the lunatic break his hand and then come see me in the ER

Guy: you should really branch out into law or firearms training, you seem very good at it ;)

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I find it interesting that certain people are berating the OP for what HE decides to do with HIS life. I feel it is a feeling of fear/inadequecy on the part of the beraters that has them coming out on the offensive and being quite hostile to a guy who did a good thing. I can't think of another reason to try to shame a guy for sticking up for what's right.

After all, it is HIS life. if HE wants to put it at risk over property, than it is HIS decision. YOU wouldn't do it with YOUR life, we get that...but don't beat up this guy for having the balls to attempt to right a wrong.

I sure would like to have neighbors like that...

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    The only thing I would have done differently would be calling the police before I went outside. You can bet your butt I'd be outside right after that though. Last summer someone took a wooden chair and beat on my car with it. $2000 in damage:

Come on. You know you caused the big dent in the quarter panel by power sliding that bad boy into a fence post, and the wooden chair only caused the two small dents on the pillar. (Nice job with the insurance company, though!)

dusterboy49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Fremont
    You should stay inside and call the police.
    Why risk a confrontation which could turn bad.
    This was a vehicle being attacked, not a person.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I would have called the police, and went back to sleep.

They can beat on my car all they like, the thing is worth maybe... $400?

Bought that sucker 3 years ago for 600 bucks, best purchase ever.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Everyone keeps saying it is just property and let insurance cover it. Well, not everyone has award winning insurance with no deductible. $1000 deductible and you are talking about one hell of an expense that a lot of people cannot afford.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I probably would have called the police and then yelled out the window. They proabably would have yelled back at me and then I probably would have gone down there. But I am sometimes stupid and I don't like when people do things like steal something or do vandalism. It just ticks me off.

It may not have been the best move but it was a move. Nice job for not letting things just happen. it would have taken 20 minutes for the cops to show up and by then someone or several someones have a dented up car.

I am sending you +rep just because you DID SOMETHING.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I probably would have called the police and then yelled out the window. They proabably would have yelled back at me and then I probably would have gone down there. But I am sometimes stupid and I don't like when people do things like steal something or do vandalism. It just ticks me off.

It may not have been the best move but it was a move. Nice job for not letting things just happen. it would have taken 20 minutes for the cops to show up and by then someone or several someones have a dented up car.

I am sending you +rep just because you DID SOMETHING.

You notice, its always 20 minutes.

Its like the majick number, "the cops wont show up for 20 minutes".

I wonder if cops say "Well Bob, we are about 2 minutes away, but they wont expect us for another 18 or so, so lets grab some donuts."

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    why in the hell do you have a $1k deductible on auto insurance? That pretty much ensures a good portion of your claims would be a waste of time. See, the claim still counts, but the insurance co. doesn't have to pay anything. You get dinged for having a claim w/ insurance AND get to fork out all of the dough for repairs.

On topic...
    Question: Did you have a flashlight or were you walking from a light environment to a dark environment? It takes several minutes for your eyes to adjust completely to darkness, until then you're working with limited visibility.

Question 2: Playing on the 'what-ifs' in this thread, and twisting a bit, how would you feel if your neighbor heard some dude beating the :poop: outta your car, went outside to scare them off (rather than letting the pros handle it), and got his skull cracked by BG2 who came out of the darkness?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0

I wonder if cops say "Well Bob, we are about 2 minutes away, but they wont expect us for another 18 or so, so lets grab some donuts."

Order a pizza and call the cops at the same time. Hopefully there are a couple slices left to share by the time the po-lice arive. :):

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Order a pizza and call the cops at the same time. Hopefully there are a couple slices left to share by the time the po-lice arive. :):

This wins the thread.

Question:"What would you do if someone was beating on your neighbors car"

Answer:"Eat Pizza".

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell

Yes. I read in the paper that was the average response time for Lake County and I also heard it on an ILEA pod cast.

I have had this tested real world more times than I care to go into. It takes a long time. That's why when they do get there quick people say - with WIDE EYES - "Wow, you got here quick!?"

I hope my neighbors would look out for my stuff just as I would look out for theirs.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    why in the hell do you have a $1k deductible on auto insurance? That pretty much ensures a good portion of your claims would be a waste of time. See, the claim still counts, but the insurance co. doesn't have to pay anything. You get dinged for having a claim w/ insurance AND get to fork out all of the dough for repairs.

On topic...
    Question: Did you have a flashlight or were you walking from a light environment to a dark environment? It takes several minutes for your eyes to adjust completely to darkness, until then you're working with limited visibility.

Question 2: Playing on the 'what-ifs' in this thread, and twisting a bit, how would you feel if your neighbor heard some dude beating the :poop: outta your car, went outside to scare them off (rather than letting the pros handle it), and got his skull cracked by BG2 who came out of the darkness?
    I do not have a $1000 deductible, but I do have a car that is broke down that I dropped the insurance on to save a little bit of money. Cannot imagine I am the only one with something similar to this.

Top Bottom