• ...and so much more!
  • EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Bit of a jumble on the post, but ...

... I would like to see the I.C. citation on the "too slow" driver. Also "everybody knows that FIVE-OVER won't get you a ticket" is not to be trusted, either ! ! !
    It's against the law in Indiana to drive in the left unless your passing. This is one of my pet peeves. Stay out of the right lane unless you passing. How hard is that. It's also against the law to drive more than 15 mph under the speed limit.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ... I would like to see the I.C. citation on the "too slow" driver.

This is the best I can find:

IC 9-21-5-7
    Reduction of speed; impeding normal and reasonable movement; right-of-way to other vehicles
    Sec. 7. A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law. A person who is driving at a slow speed so that three (3) or more other vehicles are blocked and cannot pass on the left around the vehicle shall give right-of-way to the other vehicles by pulling off to the right of the right lane at the earliest reasonable opportunity and allowing the blocked vehicles to pass.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.
    IC 9-21-5-8
    Minimum speed limits
    Sec. 8. Whenever the Indiana department of transportation within the department's jurisdiction or a local authority within the authority's jurisdiction determines, based on an engineering and traffic investigation, that slow speeds on a part of a highway consistently impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, the Indiana department of transportation or local authority may determine and declare a minimum speed limit below which a person may not drive a vehicle except when necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. A limit determined under this subsection and declared by appropriate resolution, regulation, or ordinance becomes effective when appropriate sign or signals giving notice of the limit of speed are erected along the affected part of a highway.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    It helps to leave a little earlier, relax, and go with the flow. life's too short to stress about some lane blockage when everyone is moving along, and will eventually arrive at their destination. Road rage, even in its milder forms is unbecoming. So lets try to take a deep breath, relax, and enjoy the ride. It makes for a much more pleasant day. :)

I used to to be one of those people that would get ticked off about some strangers driving habits. Now, I take the above approach and it has worked out well for me. :)

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Interesting...

Sec. 7. A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law

I interpret this thusly:
    Sec. 7. A person may not drive a motor vehicle at a slow speed that impedes or blocks the normal and reasonable movement of traffic

and:
    except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law

Surely that's a way of saying its ok to break the speed limits :p

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I seem to think that there is a law that if the right lane is open you must move over within 1 mile. I will try to find the I.C.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Here is what I found.
    Note: The law is not clear but the following may be prima facie speed
    See Other below. limits. '9-21-1-3(a)(11)
    65 MPH, except for certain vehicles noted under "Other" below, on an interstate or defense highway located outside an urban area with a population ≥50,000 '9-21-5-2(3)
    55 MPH on other highways '9-21-5-2(2)
    30 MPH in an urban district '9-21-5-2(1)
    15 MPH in an alley '9-21-5-2(5)

If speed limits is 70. Then 15mph under would be this.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Junior police PLEASE stay in the right lane.

If I'm driving slower than traffic I make sure I'm out of the way so they can pass safely.
    If I'm already doing 65 in a 60 and I see some guy come up on me that
    is obviously going faster than 65 I MOVE OVER OUT OF HIS WAY.

If I come to a stop light and someone wants to make a right turn on red
    I PULL FORWARD so they can make their turn.

Same thing if I'm walking though the grocery store pushing a cartload and
    someone want to get by on the aisle. I don't **** around in front of them.

It is called common courtesy people...... learn it, love it, live it.
    The world does not revolve around your behind no matter how much you believe it does.
    It pains me to no end to wholeheartedly agree with ANYONE with Uranus in their tag line. Butt anyway.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I seem to think that there is a law that if the right lane is open you must move over within 1 mile. I will try to find the I.C.

I quoted the IC above that says you have to stay in the right lane except to pass. I can't find anything that specifies anything like doing it within a certain distance. When overtaking, this is the only (relevant) IC I can find:

IC 9-21-8-5
    Overtaking and passing; limitations; exceptions
    Sec. 5. The following rules govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to the limitations, exceptions, and special rules stated:
    (1) A person who drives a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall pass to the left of the other vehicle at a safe distance and may not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle.
    (2) Except when overtaking and passing on the right is permitted, a person who drives an overtaken vehicle shall give way to the right in favor of the overtaking vehicle on audible signal and may not increase the speed of the overtaken vehicle until completely passed by the overtaking vehicle.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    It's against the law in Indiana to drive in the left unless your passing. This is one of my pet peeves. Stay out of the right lane unless you passing. How hard is that. It's also against the law to drive more than 15 mph under the speed limit.

Remember it is also against the law to exceed the speed limit even when passing. So the argument really is common courtesy not the legalities. So don’t be a jerk get out of the fast lane. But while we are on the subject quit flashing your lights to pass. That might mean move over on the autobahn but in rural America it means you’re an ###%@! and I should slowdown to irate you. I am taking orders for a bumper sticker that reads if you knew what I was think you would back off!!! Any takers

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    But while we are on the subject quit flashing your lights to pass. That might mean move over on the autobahn but in rural America it means you’re an ###%@! and I should slowdown to irate you.

Flashing your lights means the same thing here as it does on the Autobahn. That you're taking it as a rude gesture is on you, not the person requesting that you please move to the right and stop blocking the flow of traffic.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    That might mean move over on the autobahn but in rural America it means you’re an ###%@! and I should slowdown to irate you. I am taking orders for a bumper sticker that reads if you knew what I was think you would back off!!! Any takers

:rolleyes:

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Flashing your lights means the same thing here as it does on the Autobahn. That you're taking it as a rude gesture is on you, not the person requesting that you please move to the right and stop blocking the flow of traffic.

I am just being a smart #### but there still is a guy every morning from IL that flashes his lights at me when I am already running 80-85 that expects me to slow down and get behind a truck so he does not have to. That was for him and his cousins

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I am just being a smart #### but there still is a guy every morning from IL that flashes his lights at me when I am already running 80-85 that expects me to slow down and get behind a truck so he does not have to. That was for him and his cousins

So move over and let him pass. What's the big deal? You don't have to move over the second he flashes, but do it at your next available opportunity. What difference does it make how fast you're each driving?

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN

+1

I typically will run 8-12 mph over the posted limit, and when coming up on slower drivers occupying the left lane and NOT passing anyone else, I will flash my lights as I approach.

Most times the offending driver signals and moves over and will give me the "sorry" wave.

Although, at times, I get the clueless driver who thinks they have every right to occupy the far left lane and bottleneck traffic for no other reason other than they can. These are the folks who really shouldn't be driving. Typically, it's some moron too distracted with their cell phone against their ear.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So move over and let him pass. What's the big deal? You don't have to move over the second he flashes, but do it at your next available opportunity. What difference does it make how fast you're each driving?

I am the guy that gets flashed. I do not speed but when you have to pass a slower vehicle you need the left lane and of course there is always some d bag doing 90 that does not think I am passing the semi fast enough. Riding my bumper is not going to make me speed up, there is a speed limit and you can get as pissed as you want.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Although, at times, I get the clueless driver who thinks they have every right to occupy the far left lane and bottleneck traffic for no other reason other than they can. These are the folks who really shouldn't be driving. Typically, it's some moron too distracted with their cell phone against their ear.

I don't see light-flashing ignored often in Indiana, but EVERY TIME I drive the mountain pass between Gatlinburg and Cherokee, I get behind some numbskull who doesn't know how to drive mountain roads and insists on riding his brake all the way down. On a mountain road, a speed limit is a suggestion, not a requirement. There's no possible way to not exceed it and still have brakes at the bottom. No amount of light-flashing or honking will get them to use one of the MANY MANY pull-offs (that are there for that express purpose) to allow the hundred or so cars bunched up behind them to pass. :xmad:

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I am the guy that gets flashed. I do not speed but when you have to pass a slower vehicle you need the left lane and of course there is always some d bag doing 90 that does not think I am passing the semi fast enough. Riding my bumper is not going to make me speed up, there is a speed limit and you can get as pissed as you want.

As a flasher, I understand when there are situations which require a much slower driver to occupy the left lane for overtaking another vehicle. I will not flash in this situation and I typically give the overtaking car a good 5-8 car lengths distance to make the pass. When you overtake the slower vehicle, you will typically move right. Then I will overtake you.

Tailgating, as an overtaking car, is just as dangerous as the person who sits in the left lane bottlenecking traffic.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    As a flasher, I understand when there are situations which require a much slower driver to occupy the left lane for overtaking another vehicle. I will not flash in this situation and I typically give the overtaking car a good 5-8 car lengths distance to make the pass. When you overtake the slower vehicle, you will typically move right. Then I will overtake you.

Tailgating, as an overtaking car, is just as dangerous as the person who sits in the left lane bottlenecking traffic.

Cool, that means you aint one of the many that have pissed me off.:)

Top Bottom