• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I miss all the good threads.

So, is not shaving an option? I call it the zero shave club. Well, not really. I do trim down to stubble every few days.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I can't really complain, I'm only on the 2nd blade of the ones you sent. I'm just looking forward to that "well, I don't have to worry about blades for a couple years" feeling.
    They do last quite a while. I get 3 or 4 days out of one if I do a lot of passes. If I do single passes, they last a week.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    They do last quite a while. I get 3 or 4 days out of one if I do a lot of passes. If I do single passes, they last a week.

Yeah, I don't shave usually on my days off, and sometimes if I'm running late I'll do a quick one-pass just do I don't look like a mope at work.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I went ahead and joined the Dollar Shave Club. Got my razor and first 4 blades yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. Seems to work just fine. Not crazy about the shave "butter" sample they sent with it. I mean it worked, but it seemed odd to be shaving without foam on my face. :): I usually use one of the inexpensive brands of gel, like Gillette. From reading this thread off and on, it seems a lot of guys actually enjoy the whole shaving process. I don't share this view. To me, it's just something I have to do and just want to get it over with as quickly as possible. I do like the idea of only paying 6 bucks for 4 blades instead of $12-ish for 5 of the Mach 3 blades. I imagine that I'll be building up a surplus of blades and will probably cancel my account for awhile once that happens. DoggyMama now wants to join too, which is cool. For one thing, we'll be able to share the same blades, and for another, I'll get 5 bucks credit if she uses me as a referral. :)

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I went ahead and joined the Dollar Shave Club. Got my razor and first 4 blades yesterday and used it for the first time this morning. Seems to work just fine. Not crazy about the shave "butter" sample they sent with it. I mean it worked, but it seemed odd to be shaving without foam on my face. :): I usually use one of the inexpensive brands of gel, like Gillette. From reading this thread off and on, it seems a lot of guys actually enjoy the whole shaving process. I don't share this view. To me, it's just something I have to do and just want to get it over with as quickly as possible. I do like the idea of only paying 6 bucks for 4 blades instead of $12-ish for 5 of the Mach 3 blades. I imagine that I'll be building up a surplus of blades and will probably cancel my account for awhile once that happens. DoggyMama now wants to join too, which is cool. For one thing, we'll be able to share the same blades, and for another, I'll get 5 bucks credit if she uses me as a referral. :)

DD -- I used to be the same position as you are; 3 times a week and just get it done. BUT, about a year ago, I started down the "wet shaving" path; got a cheap DE razor, soap & brush, and slowed down. That razor & brush are now back-ups, and I have better razor, 3 nice brushes, better blades and better soap. While I still just shave 3 times a week (normally), it is a pleasure and I really enjoy it. Just my 2-cents.....

Soap(s) -- While I have both cream and pucks, I get better lather from the cream. While I use Caswell-Massey (8 oz jar, $25, but lasted 4 months), just about any discussion you find on the 'net will lead to Prorasa (normally Green).

Blades -- It seems you have to tweak the blades to your razor/face/shaving technique. I started with a sample pack (10 different types, 60 blades for $20 +/-), and just bought 100 Bics for $20. Most people will need to try several different ones to find the best shave.

Hope this helps..... Grizhicks

Last edited:

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    I switched over to Feathers a couple of weeks ago and I have to say I like them, and I would also say the warnings about them are probably a bit overstated. I don't do any special prep and haven't gotten a nick yet, and they do a great job with a single pass as long as you maintain your angle correctly. Fantastic blades.

Feather blades can be irritating for those with either sensitive skin or thicker facial hair. I tried them a couple time and almost always had some irritation. I wish they worked for because they are damned sharp and nice.

After trying Derby, Shark, Merkur, etc, I have settle on the BIC Chrome Platinum.

In my experience, this site (LINK) accurately describes the blades I have tried.

After switching to a DE razor, I won't use a cartridge razor any more.

The key to wet shaving is to try different products. My combination of razor, soap, and blades may not give you the best shave. However, just buy an inexpensive set to start with and then research other products to see what may work for you.
    Almost any well done wet shave beats a cartridge any day.

Then you get to start looking at straight razors.....

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ok, so I had my second SR shave last night in preparation for work today... it was enjoyable, BUT I still knicked myself a few times around my adams apple. I used the rest of the shave butter that came with my DSC order for the first pass with the grain and it worked pretty well. then I lathered up w/ regular barbar shave cream and did a second pass against the grain. this time it worked much better than last time I think because I watched some videos and learned not to put pressure on the blade.

However the grain around my adams apple runs <<<<A>>>> and no matter how many times I went over it I couldn't get it to come out smooth. this is with an Astro blade I believe, so I still have other blades to try thanks to griz.

Should I try the other blades now two shaves in or give it another week or two? Any tips for getting a smooth shave around the adams apple?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Gently pull the skin to either side of you Adam's apple to shave so you're not shaving directly over it.

Another trick is swallow and hold it. This will pull your Adam's Apple up and out of the way for a pass right over it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Tried something different today since I was running a little behind. When I got out of the shower I did a quick one-pass against-the-grain only shave. The entire thing, start to finish, was less than 3 minutes (that's what she said :naughty:) and it was still better than any cartridge shave I've ever had.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    my soap came today.... looking forward to seeing if it will help at all. I think I am going to try it with a new blade tonight also. Don't know which one yet, but it will not be the feather... per the advice from the initial thread jack.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I have a ton of Derby blades I'm not going to use if anyone wants to try some out. Shoot me a PM with your address and I'll toss a pack your way.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Well this is fun... The "100pk Feather Hi-Stainless Blades - ships from Japan with tracking number" I ordered just shipped from Singapore with no tracking number. :n00b:

Well I contacted the seller and was provided a tracking number at least. Looks like my blades are touring Europe and currently hanging out in Germany. They are likely gleaming with Japanese pride as the poke fun at the dull and inferior German blades around them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had my first shave with the Feather blades this evening. I can't say that I noticed much difference over the Gillettes I've been using. Got a nice smooth face with no cuts, nicks or irritation but that's what I've been getting. Maybe I'm just not experienced enough to know the difference?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Fun fact: Vintage aftershaves trump modern crap. :twocents:

FRAG_clubPin_403000_01.jpg

Picked up some today. Thought I hated it for about 20 seconds until the alcohol smell evaporated off... Dammit, I really like the stuff. It smells great and actually conditions my face. Well played JD. You can be my Jedi shave master.

Top Bottom