• ...and so much more!
  • Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    When I feel like stropping I use an old straight razor.

When I do not feel like stropping, I use a 1912 Ever Ready single edge.

Two tricks:

First, hone the blade just a bit on that double before putting it in the razor. A lot of time they have micro burrs on them that will really cut ya' up in the form of razor burn. I got a bad one tonight myself and actually nicked and drew blood. That's something I've not done forever.

If you hone it a bit, you'll notice a smoother shave.

Shave a bit at a time, with short, overlapping strokes. Shave downward with the grain, then lather up again and go upward. Of course, shaving with the double is just a little different; go up and down in patches.

The straight razor is my favorite, and I'd not trade it for anything. If I'm going someplace that dictates formal dress, I'll use it along with a badger and hot lather in a cup. Stropping is more work than I like to do on a daily basis, though. Shaving is a relaxing time for me and prep time is preferably minimal.

I've thought about getting a straight razor with replaceable blades as was shown, but somehow it feels wrong.

Josh

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Ok, so I tried this last night for the first time.

Grizhicks sent me four blades.

The first which I used I threw away the packaging and don't remember what it was. there there is a dorco a merkur super and a feather.

Since I was afraid of turning my shower into a blood bath, I shaved at the sink for the first time in years. All I had was some old barber shaving cream. Not as slick as the bar soap I use in the shower. I shaved with the grain and it wasn't bad but I could still feel the stubble. So I relathered up and shaved against the grain. probably knicked myself about 5 places. Not the kind of knick that you feel, but small bits of blood none the less.

I am not sure how much I like it. I did receive my dollar shave club razor and its at a different angle than what I am used to and didn't feel the same as the name brand stuff, but it got the job done and the price is right.

Now I am wondering if I was using the safety razor correctly or if maybe something a little bit slicker than shave cream would help out.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have the above listed recommendation, along with a brush on its way.

Even if I don't commit to the safety razor thing, I think I will enjoy the shave soap. Who knows though, I might end up liking it.... after one shave I am not so sure.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I have the above listed recommendation, along with a brush on its way.

Even if I don't commit to the safety razor thing, I think I will enjoy the shave soap. Who knows though, I might end up liking it.... after one shave I am not so sure.
    I plan to pick up a tube next time the wife drags me to B&BW. I use the Proraso green pre-shave and love the tingle and eucalyptus smell.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the menthol sounds pretty nice, and as soon as it was recommended and I read about it I went ahead and bought it and a brush.... worst case I can leave that in the shower and continue on the dorco route. Not giving up on the safety razor yet, but as of right now it seems like a lot more work to get the baby smooth shave. it might be that I am just not used to it yet, but time will tell.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    After reading this thread I have been convinced to get a new razor- i'm going to look for one of the vintage gillette ones on ebay- so if anyone has recommendations on a specific gillette one or even on using ebay as it's been years... i'm currently rocking a full beard but figure my neck at least deserves a premium shave..

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    I used both the green tub and the red tube.

I think the Red is a little better. The Sandalwood smell is an acquired taste (I like it now), and it seems a little slicker than the green. I get less of a 'shiny face' from the Red (removing all skin oils).

There's just now way to avoid having to try a bunch of this stuff.

I had great results with Mitchell's Wool Fat, but some folks say it's hard to lather. I have a softener and stiff boar brush, so no probs here-- and it smells mild and wonderful.
    MWF is especially nice in the winter with the lanolin. Another of the pricier soaps, but well worth the money is L'Occitane.

Crbn79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 4, 2014
    Indianapolis, North
    After reading this thread I have been convinced to get a new razor- i'm going to look for one of the vintage gillette ones on ebay- so if anyone has recommendations on a specific gillette one or even on using ebay as it's been years... i'm currently rocking a full beard but figure my neck at least deserves a premium shave..

Do you know where to get good beard conditioner in Indy? I've been using wife's fancy stuff, smells a little girly.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    oH7uABM.jpg

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I need something to keep my beard from breaking. If I just use soap or shampoo it breaks once it reaches about 5 inches in length. Plus my wife and kids like it when it doesn't poke and scratch them lol.

I've got some of this stuff, Welcome to Honest Amish - Makers of Fine Organic Skin and Beard Care Products.We use all natural ingredients to craft old world recipes into the finest skin care products made today. Thank you for choosing Honest Amish., and it has reduced the breakage in my beard. Also softens it quite a bit.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Fun-fact: Adidas "Deep Energy" aftershave splash is dirt cheap ($5), available locally (Meijer, CVS, Walgreens), and drives the ladies (well the one that matters to me) crazy!

Top Bottom