• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    How about the aftermath of an EMP attack ?

Rumsfeld Warns of Iran, N. Korea Electromagnetic Pulse Attack

"Rumsfeld said he is worried about the threat from an electromagnetic pulse attack from countries such as Iran and North Korea.

“We’ve thrown away the shoeboxes with the 3-by-5 cards,” he said, “so that cyberwarfare, and electromagnetic pulses and the things that can avoid competition with large armies and large navies and large air forces clearly have leverage, an advantage. And because of that, they’re attractive” to America’s enemies

Rumsfeld Warns of Iran, N. Korea Electromagnetic Pulse Attack

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    I mentioned the LA Riots..."Korean store-owners with SKSs"

The LA Riots are a prime example of the uselessness of bugging out. Millions of people in LA and the riots didn't drive anyone out of town. I don't know where you live, but the LA Riots demonstrated an economic discrepancy, and the localization of the damage illustrates that perfectly.

Let me throw a thought in please:

Buggin out becomes a reality when it is safer to leave then to stay. There are a ton of what if's that could be thrown out there, but in the end, it is up to me and my family. And you and your family to make that decision.

IE:
    New Haven, Indiana's Mercury storage facility catch's fire and dumps and burn's massive amount of that deadly toxin. I'm freekin buggin out for a month or longer to the west side of the city and out of the reach of water contamination. Won't go back till i am sure my kids and wife are going to be safe.

Let's take your example of the Korean's...

What are they going to do if the riots went longer? What if the riots starteing spreading to a larger area? What if the Guardsman decided the safety of their own family was more important? What if the cops couldn't decided to cut their losses and keep the hospitals safe?

What if your aunt had balls? well, she'd be your uncle!!

In the end... the idea of bugging out must be based on what is better for you and your family.... :twocents:

A more humble M

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    There are three ways of thinking when it comes to disaster and bugging out. One, you have those who will become proactive and aggressive for their survival which could involve banding together and taking what they need. Second, those who will stay put and live their life the best they can until they can't go on. Third, those who will leave to survive and become both aggressive and defensive to keep theirself alive and moving.

It will be up to each individual head of household to decide where they stand.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    for me its either gonna be civil uprest or a natural disaster. In wich case id go to one of various family members who live out in the boonies. wich one we go to depends on how far we need to go to be "safe" and what the current situation is on their en of the country or state is

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    There are three ways of thinking when it comes to disaster and bugging out. One, you have those who will become proactive and aggressive for their survival which could involve banding together and taking what they need. Second, those who will stay put and live their life the best they can until they can't go on. Third, those who will leave to survive and become both aggressive and defensive to keep theirself alive and moving.

It will be up to each individual head of household to decide where they stand.

you forgot all the ones that will just be running around stoned taking any drugs they can fine. :):

i call them target practice

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I thought that was the Zombies ,everyone was taking about. (Not your family ,the druggies)

Members of my extended family are an issue that I have to prep for. Most of them don't know where I live and would be better off keeping away if they do know. I have family that are close and friends but the rest can just keep staying wherever they are now.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    bugging out is so last resort for me, first i dont even know where to go, and yes i think about it but nothing is that great for me right now. i spent ten years in montana and still have family there, but thats two days away so scrap that.

i also have 4 kids the oldest being 11. the amount of gear to do it well would be huge, and mini vans just dont hold alot.

i'm a new prepper so i dont have a huge stock pile yet,, but we are working on it little by little and my wife and i both hope to be able to do more soon.

right now i really have no choice but to bug in, but i think that preparing to bug out is the smart thing to do. the whole concept of prepping is the "what if" scenario.

i also am in a smaller town 1800 people. our house brick etc. and would be relatively easy to secure. so that helps

jake

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I have read these posts beginning to end.

I think the biggest problem with the OP's original post was that he did not define his terms well nor did he clarify his question well. No offense intended, just making a comment.

That said, when he did try to clarify some of his terms he was accused of changing his position. I don't think that was what he was doing at all, but rather trying to clarify points to limit/direct the topics.

My interpretation would be: "Bug Out" v/s "Bunker Mode."

A lot would depend upon where you live. IF you live near (within 20 miles:D) a major population area (defined as 500k or more:D) there are higher probabilities of extreme urban unrest. That doesn't mean they are high probabilities at all, just higher than standard rural Indiana. So the view of civil unrest near Indianapolis or Chicago becomes more likely than near Fort Wayne.

There is a 0% chance that a hurricane will have any direct impact on Indiana so discussing one here is just silly. Move to the coast - worry about storms with names. Stay in Hoosierville - DON'T!

Here would be my current list of threats and reactions:

Threat -------------------------- Bunker---------------------------- Bug Out

Tornado ---------------------------X---------------------------------------------
    Ice Storm --------------------------X--------------------------------------------
    Chemical Threat --------------------------------------------------------X-----
    Nuclear Plant Meltdown --------------------------X--------------------------
    Civil Unrest ------------------------X-------------------------------------------
    Currency Collapse ---------------X (at least initially)----------------------
    Global Pandemic -------------------------------------------------------X------
    Chinese Horde Invades --------X (at least initially)----------------------
    Government runs amok -------------------------X----------------------------
    Massive Influx of refugees -----X--------------------------------------------
    Rivers Flood ----------------------------------------X---------------------------
    Dan Coats elected Sen ---------X--------------------------------------------
    Uber nasty storms ----------------X--------------------------------------------
    Earthquake -------------------------X--------------------------------------------

I'll clarify the three (3) where I waffle.

For the first, nuclear plant meltdown, it obviously depends on the location of the reactor and the prevailing winds. If my bug out location would be closer, then bunker. If bunker is closer, then bug out. It goes without saying (I hope) that no matter what get out of the way of Mr. Radiation.

For the second, government runs amok, it presumes we are talking "Federal" government. In which case it depends upon how my Governor responds to protecting my rights and liberties. If he/she is a spineless wimp (expected) be prepared to bug out. If he/she shows some backbone be ready to join the Indiana Guard and go where I am told like a good little soldier.

For the rivers it would depend upon severity. Fort Wayne has had problems in the past but I am not near a major flood zone. So I would bunker and "wait and see."

In all of these events if the home took a direct hit or major damage I would be forced to bug out until repairs could be effected. Also in all of these events the situation could change to the point that I would be forced to reevaluate the circumstances, but these would be my initial reactions.

I am NOT detailing the probabilities of any of these events actually occurring, but rather trying to guess at reasonably possible events and giving an initial, knee jerk reaction.

In the global pandemic I would want to get as far away from other carriers as possible and ride things out for at least a few weeks. Limiting exposure to infected air would be a better alternative to having everything I need in my home but being within close proximity to a population that would greatly increase my chances of infection, at least until the major impact is felt.

What do you think?

Regards,

Doug

Last edited:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Under what circumstances--specific examples--would you leave? Let's make it easy: why is it safer to survive in a totally unfamiliar setting than to survive on your home turf?

*If you prefer the term "bail out," you may make substitutions as best fits your own vocabulary.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...d=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&source=www.google.com

This is "peace" time and people are going nuckin futs and the police in this town seems unable to do anything about it except to tell the residents to stay indoors .

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    Other than eminent deadly threat from biological/chemical, plague (epidemic, etc.) or some type of nuclear radiation, I have decided that staying put is the best option for me. Having some level of social connection to where you are will go along way to survival, barter, support, etc.

For example: You have food supplies that are under threat. There are some that will provide armed security to protect it in trade for eating. At some point we all have to sleep. We need each other but must learn to quickly vette those that will harm us. Trust will be in short supply.

Of course there's always the outside extreme chance of some kind of invasion but fighting before running will be the order of the day.

Many American's are fiercely independent, almost to a fault. That would include me. This is a strong trait to have but at some point it makes more sense that long-term survival might be best in select, like-minded numbers.

1 out of 10,000 will stay in the woods long term. As for hunting, it will all be hunted out the first year if it ever gets as bad as some predict. I just had to say that because it bugs me. Being in the woods with all the crazies is as bad as being in the urban zones with all the zombies.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I see it being a good idea esp in the winter time. If we got stuck in a blizzard where the snow is so much we can not get away from it in time or home intime and now stuck on 465 or someplace. This is more of the idea I am having a bob for. some of the reasons i have seen listed, id rather not live thru to begin with

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    There are a lot of different events that would cause me to BO. Anything that would create an environment where an entire family (aunts,uncles,cousins,siblings,parents) would be better suited for survival/homesteading would be a BO scenario for me. Basically, anything LONG term. My family has a large piece of land about an hour south of me that should be large enough with enough amenities to handle all of us and it should be relatively easy to defend considering the layout.......

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Indy East Side
    City

My little family lives in the city right now. If something were to happen that required a "bug out", we'd be headed to the country where the the extended family has a supply of food, and munitions. Safety in numbers, I suppose... At least the ones you trust!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Preparedness I'm all for. I was asking about the specific concept of "bugging out." I've got provisions in may house and my car that will allow me to get to my house. I just want a single, historical example of anyone in a post-industrial nation packing up and fleeing at a moment's notice for any reason.

I'm not arguing, and I'm not saying that such a scenario doesn't exist, I just don't know of any. I know of several historical instances of people who stayed where they were and survived.

All of the hurricane Katrina refugees are a prime example of both those who safely "bugged out" in advance of the storm & those who "bugged in" and what happened after the storm hit (the lawlessness, the looting, being forced to relocate to an internment camp inside of the super-dome, warrant-less entries, unlawful firearms confiscated, etc).

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    All of the hurricane Katrina refugees are a prime example of both those who safely "bugged out" in advance of the storm & those who "bugged in" and what happened after the storm hit (the lawlessness, the looting, being forced to relocate to an internment camp inside of the super-dome, warrant-less entries, firearms unlawfully confiscated, etc).
    Fixed it for ya.

Top Bottom