Does anyone know of a gun "friendly" work place?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I work in a fabrication shop, the plant manager knows I carry. I can see everybody that comes through the front door from my station, I guess he feels safe with that, since he's never said anything about it.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My employee handbook says "no illegal weapons" and that's it. I concealed carry every day out of respect for those who might not feel comfortable with open carry (sometimes it's barely concealed). It's no secret that I carry and several others do too. We often have conversations about guns openly and I bring in copies of NRA and gun magizines for others to read in the lunch room. I often post some of my "better" targets on my office wall. A target with the bull shot out makes a nice conversation piece.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    This is what my employer says on the subject:

XIII. Firearms

A. For the safty and security of all employees, customers, vendors and the general public, ****** ******** prohibits the possession of firearms and weapons on company property and/or in the course of conducting company bussiness. This includes any ****** ******** property, building, vehicale or equipment that is owned or leased

B. Possession of a firearm or weapon in an employees own personal vehile while parked on company property may be autherized provided that the employee has a leagal permit to carry the firearm or weapon(if required by law), the firearm or weapon is not loaded and written authorization, contact Human Resources.

C. Providing a safe and secure work enviroment is our utmost importance. Failure to comply with this policy will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.

Now I've never been to the office and proballly never will.
    I work on public property every day. I just make sure I park out of the work area

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    now i may be wrong but i didn't think that employers were legally allowed to keep you from keeping your firearm in your vehicle

There was a bill to that effect this year in Indiana. It passed Indiana senate and died in committee in the House.

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I work on Simon property so you know what the policy is. But i do carry. For anyone that sits in a chair while they work do you every get up and then come back and see a little imprint only on one side of the chair and just chuckle because its oh so obvious but everyone is oh so clueless.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Andy it doesn't suprise me that dan encourages you to carry :).

According to my employee handbook I'm not supposed to have any type of "deadly weapon" anywhere on store property. However I have informed my manager that my xd is always in my truck and I am liscensed to carry it. We now have a mutual understanding on this issue since one of our sister stores was robbed not too long ago.

I've been told as long as I'm not flashing it around I won't be bothered with the policy.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There are a few liquor stores in the Fort Wayne area that allow employees to carry provided they have a LTCH. I was pretty surprised, but glad to hear it. I spent 5+ years behind the counter of a convenience store with 4 of them as a store manager where I handled alot of cash and made trips to the bank. The company was not at all gun friendly. Thank goodness for pocket pistols!!:D Hey, I can always find a new job, but I can't get another chance at life. I really applaud the companies that allow there employees to exercise their right to bear arms especially at a job that can be dangerous.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My employer asked if I would carry. They prefer to have at least one armed employee at the business.

I tended bar at a small tavern in the 80's. The first time I worked it without the owners, they took me around showing all the stuff I needed to know. The last thing they did was take me a couple steps out of public view to show me the "last ditch," a 4" SW 38 stashed behind some stock.

I said "oh that's good to know, so I guess you wouldn't mind me bringing in my own?" The response was "That would be great."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Pharmacy.

No established policy either way, but one of the pharmacists carries constantly, that I know for a fact.

Once I get my LTCH back from processing (exciting!), I will CC at this job... and probably my next too.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My last employer didn't have an "employee handbook". (This was an engineering company...largest in Indianapolis...)

Therefore, there were no "official" rules.

I carried, concealed, almost every single day I was at work.

Made me feel rather comfortable that one night we were working near 38th / Illinois...gunfire a block away...etc etc.

-J-

Gray Squirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    weMy employee handbook says "no illegal apons" and that's it. I concealed carry every day out of respect for those who might not feel comfortable with open carry (sometimes it's barely concealed). It's no secret that I carry and several others do too. We often have conversations about guns openly and I bring in copies of NRA and gun magizines for others to read in the lunch room. I often post some of my "better" targets on my office wall. A target with the bull shot out makes a nice conversation piece.
    Soooo,does that mean no sharp pencils,scissors,nail files or waste baskets?

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    My work is posted "No Weapons" on the guardshack and on the door going into the building. I just leave mine in the car. I'm sorry, but I live almost 30 miles away, I'm not leaving my carry piece at home. But I do wear my empty holster in most every night, always covered by a tshirt or sweatshirt, and hasn't been noticed that I know of.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I carry every day at work, screw them and their rules, its my life not theirs.

If they have strict NO CARRY policies, they definitly can effect your life very quickly. If you were to get fired due to violation of these policies, how will you continue to support yourself and possibly family?

Personally, it's not worth it to me my job is far too important. Also, the risk of something happening COULD happen; but it has a very low probability.

Top Bottom