• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry your handgun with a round in the chamber?

• Total voters

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    Depends on what I'm carrying. If it's my XD, I chamber as soon as I cross the state line. If it's the 1911, I carry Israeli. I know "cocked and locked" comes from the 1911, but I'm not comfortable with the hammer back and no drop block. Force of habit from deployment I suppose.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I always carry with one in the pipe. I always have.

I spent some time in the Army and was in combat twice. If nothing else I have learned that a person must take advantage of everything that could give him an edge. I have seen where people talk about it only takes half a second to rack the slide and such. However I learned this firsthand, If you can get any advantage, which includes eliminating steps to be ready to defend you must. A 1,000th of a second advantage can be the difference between living and dieing.

I hope I am not sounding critical, all I am doing is trying to make sure the new guys have all of they need to survive if the SHTF. I also understand about comfort levels. If a person is uncomfortable with something they can make bad things happen.

My advice is, Take as many training courses as you can, then get out and practice every minute you can and with every round you can afford until the gun feels like it is part of you. This is when you will begin to feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber.

You and your family deserve to have every advantage possible if some BG wishes to do you harm.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    dc,
    Good advice. FWIW, we were chambered every time we went off the FOB, but since most of my time was being a fobbit...well, you get the idea. Also, I'd love to practice more and get comfortable with carrying chambered, but the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland isn't exactly conducive to that. More's the pity.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    dc,
    Good advice. FWIW, we were chambered every time we went off the FOB, but since most of my time was being a fobbit...well, you get the idea. Also, I'd love to practice more and get comfortable with carrying chambered, but the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland isn't exactly conducive to that. More's the pity.

I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately we cannot choose which laws we will follow. Do you have any organizations like this or OFCC in Maryland? I can't speak for INGO, but the OFCC leaders would be willing to give advise and what assistance they can to other organizations. They did a great job for us in OHIO.

Rattlesnake46319

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Jefferson County, MO
    I understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately we cannot choose which laws we will follow. Do you have any organizations like this or OFCC in Maryland? I can't speak for INGO, but the OFCC leaders would be willing to give advise and what assistance they can to other organizations. They did a great job for us in OHIO.

In Maryland we have MSI - Maryland Shall Issue as well as MDShooters. Seems that every time CCW comes up in the House, the bill disappears into a drawer never to be seen again. I'll get with the folks at MDShooters and get some names/email addresses and get back to you.

Thanks!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    One in the pipe ready to go :draw: , otherwise I might as well not carry, IMHO. My biggest objection to carrying on an empty chamber is the fact that racking the slide instantly gives away any element of surprise in a (hypothetical) situation where the BG may not know you are there. I.E. ...you are bent down reaching for the Cheezy Poofs in the back aisle when Joe Dirtbag comes into the stop-n-rob to do exactly that. If he starts physically hurting people, I want his first notification of a serious victim/location selection error to be my gun's rounds entering his chest/brain, not my gun's (slide racking) sounds entering his ears. As has already been mentioned by others, I want every possible advantage in a fight. The defensive use of firearms, by its very nature is reactive; an automatic disadvantage simply because action beats *reaction*. It only makes sense to me to do everything possible to try to minimize how far behind the 8-ball that a defensive reaction automatically places you.

My :twocents:...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I carry with a round chambered for the many reasons already listed. One reason I haven't seen (sorry if I missed it;)) is the capacity issue. My mag cap is 13. My gun cap with that magazine is 13+1. This requires chambering a round, dropping the mag and topping it back off with one more round so it is full again.
    Every advantage means EVERY advantage:cool:

anewrnn

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Crown Point
    I always carry one in the pipe. If there ever does come a time to use it I don't want to have to take the time to rack the slide, especially if I only have my gun hand available. It takes some getting used too comfort wise but like the previous post says, "You might as well be carrying a rock" if you don't. And I have learned never to put my finger on the trigger when drawing unless Im ready to shoot.Just my two cents...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've been considering this more and I have a question which was brought up earlier in the thread. What about the round you chamber? What do you guys do with it? Rhino apparently puts it away and shoots it later. But what about you? do you rechamber that same round a couple times or put it aside??

miltony

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Evansville
    I am careful to examine the round if it has been rechambered multiple times to ensure that it hasn't been seated too deeply. If so, I remove it from circulation. I generally carry double action only pistols concealed. At work, it doesn't matter, but they are all always ready to go.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    I very seldom rechamber a round, but I do inspect before I reuse it. Carry ammo is expensive. I normally put it in the top of the mag after I chamber another round. I reload, so When at home I measure to make sure there is no setback. If there is any at all I'll just shoot it the next time I'm at the range. If I find any real setback I'll break it down and reuse the components.

BTW: I have yet to find one with any setback to it with my current ammo. In my 9MM I carry Hydrashocks.

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    So what happens if the bullet gets setback in the casing? At what point is "too far"?

Most factory ammo varies by a couple of thousandths of an inch anyhow. If it's less than about 5 thousandths setback from minimum, It might be a little hot, but won't be unsafe. Any more than that and the pressures will start to become high, and you are better off just taking it apart and reusing the components.

The only guns I have seen that cause any setback are the little pocket pistols like a Keltec. They have a steep feed ramp and exert more pressure on the bullet itself. In a full size auto you will probably not have any issues.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So I would be hard pressed to see any real difference just by setting them side by side and comparing? Probably be best to invest in a mircometer? I'd like to get into reloading anyway, but I gotta get on my feet first. I just want to make sure I dont blow up my baby... :n00b:

dclaarjr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Fremont, Ohio
    It's better to be safe than sorry.

You can get a micrometer at any gun shop that sells reloading equipment and supplies for about $20.

My standards are probably actually underkill, but I'd rather not blow up my guns either.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Caliber and load make a big difference in how much setback may or may not cause a problem. A high pressure round with smaller case capacity like the .40S&W can be a problem with just a little decrease in case volume caused by the bullet being pushed farther into the case. With a .45ACP, the effects will be less dramatic.

As dclaarjr mentions, changes in overall length can also cause a problem with proper feeding/function as well.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    heck yeah one in the pipe, other wise like somebody already said you might as well throw the gun at the perp, or ask for a time out that might work!! good quality gun+knowledge of gun=being prepared and that includes ready to fight from the first second!!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom