Do you carry chambered or not chambered or a revolver?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you carry cambered or not chambered? Or do you carry a revolver

• Total voters

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I got used to carrying by having mine on my hip at home with the slide locked back on a full mag. I could drop the slide as fast as I can drop the safety. Wouldn't go out in the world like that, though.

O'Shark

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Ladoga, IN
    My 4516 is 7+1 and the 686 has a full cylinder. I recently bought a SR9C and it will be a few hundred rounds before I carry it 10+1 confidently. It's a process of learning and familiarization for me. The gun itself is awesome.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    G19 with 15+1. Clearing the holster slows me up enough. If you carry without a round in the chamber, you might as well carry a checklist with the gun too.

Gun out of holster? Check.
    Magazine in? Check.
    Slide racked? Check.
    Now I'm ready to engage!

Or you could carry a stick....to throw and distract the bad guy while you rack the slide.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    WOW! 97% carry loaded/with one in the chamber. Why are there so many threads about this then!!!

It's a newbie question. You will note that every time it is asked, the replies reflect the vote above. I carried without one in the chamber for a while until I got comfortable with it.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    I took the last option to mean hammer on an empty slot (colt peacemaker)

Hammer fired. 15 +1. Hammer down in a lvl2 holster da first pull

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Help me be less ignorant. What does "butterscotch" mean?:dunno:

The correct name is actually "Tactical Butterscotch", it's the safest carry method invented to this day.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pU2IOTEZlU[/ame]

:laugh:

Last edited:

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    So, so far, no one wants to be caught with their pants down trying to rack a round. (Who appreciates this rhyme?) Evidence looks pretty conclusive that most people have common sense. ;)

On a similar note, who in their right mind would carry a revolver unloaded? Even with speed loaders, you'd be better off throwing it at someone in a potential gun fight or assault.

I have a Ruger SP101 that would HURT bad if I threw it at you. It's a little tank.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    If you aren't comfortable having one in the chamber in your SD handgun you need a different one.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    chambered unless in Ohio, then butterscotch.

Never mind. Asked and answered.

Someone tell Sylvain to go back to France. If I watch that video again I will laugh myself into an early grave and my wife will have to sue for unlawful death!:D

Seriously, for the record, I carry a Taurus 24/7 Pro 17+1 (with a spare mag) or a Taurus 709 Slim 7+1 (with two spare mags). Initially, when I began to carry, I kept the chamber empty. I was carrying a Glock 26 and was nervous about one in the chamber. Eventually came to trust myself (after hours of practice) and began carrying with one in the chamber.

Of course, I can't carry anything since that boat tipped over on Lake Wawasee last summer. :rolleyes::dunno:

Last edited:

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    I only see (from experience) carrying without one in the pipe when using a holster that doesn't quite have the security you'd like. When I first started carrying (and sometimes now) I did not chamber a round when carrying in my bellyband due to the thinness of the material protecting the trigger guard (and lack of manual safety). I always carry +1 otherwise, but when ultimate concealment is needed there are tradeoffs in security.

For example, I would never carry +1 in a "smart" carry holster.

Top Bottom