• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    So I had a Hornady digital scale that I used for a few months and was disappointed with the consistency out of it. Could measure three or four charges, put the empty pan back on the scale and it would not read 0.00 and had to rezero it again. This would go on through the reloading process.

I am reloading for precision not volume so speed it not a consideration.

Bought a Franklin Arsenal and it runs the first +-5 consistently then showns the pan weighing 0.3gr more that 0. Dump those charges and low and behold they are 0.3gr lite. All others after that first flub are good but still leaves me questioning the consistency.

Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations going forward? I am leaning twords just running several until the readjust takes place but still leaves me guessing what my "True charge" is when done.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Turn the scale on the day before you plan to load and leave it on. See if that helps. I load in a non heated garage and have had similar problem as you described. Turning scale on the day before loading helped me.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    my digital scale experience and consistency (Dillon).
    make sure you are not using fluorescent lights.
    keep electronics several feet away, esp if they have Bluetooth, wifi, cellular, etc
    calibrate before each use.

-rvb

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've had similar problems with my Hornady Auto Charge scale. I don't trust it for consistency, so I use it for loads that don't need to be exact. For my precision loads I use my RCBS Rangemaster 750. I've had it since I started reloading about 6 years ago and it has been worth every penny. It will sometimes need to be calibrated in the middle of loading large volumes, but I can usually get around 60-70 rounds loaded before it doesn't return to zero or starts to do weird things.

Also, not sure of your environment that you reload in. I reload in the garage and I only charge cases with the doors and windows shut. Any slight breeze will throw it off. Even if you are inside, if the AC is running or a window is open it can affect the scale.

I feel Hornady's quality has gone downhill. I like their dies and their trimmer, but that's about it. I even ordered 500 of their 155 gr match bullets and weighed 300 of them out, getting very inconsistent weights between them, most of them being 0.3-0.4 gns off from 155.0 and 155.1. After these are gone I'll be switching to Sierra Matchkings, but that's another story for a different thread, sorry if it jacks this one lol.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Currently reloading in the basement, no fans or vents in the room, and it has fluorescent lights. I will make it a point to keep my phone off the bench. Never thought the type of LIGHTS would affect how much something weighs!

I can think of a few liberal talk shows that could benefit from this information.......not sure it would make then any smarter though?:dunno:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Currently reloading in the basement, no fans or vents in the room, and it has fluorescent lights. I will make it a point to keep my phone off the bench. Never thought the type of LIGHTS would affect how much something weighs!

I can think of a few liberal talk shows that could benefit from this information.......not sure it would make then any smarter though?:dunno:

I have fluorescent over my bench as well as incandescent can lights. I turn off the fluorescents when weighing (and the TV, and ham radio, remove or turn off electronics, etc). Use incandescent light.

It's not that it affects the weight, fluorescent lights emit all kinds of EM energy that messes w/ the electronics/sensors in the scales. The lights work by ionizing the gases in the tube to spew out photons. Not "clean" from an RF standpoint at all. I have to turn off the fluorescent lights to get good receive quality on my ham radio also.

-rvb

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Never had any problems like that when using my RCBS Charg Master. Always have floresent lights and radio or TV on, tumbler going and my phone on the bench.

I double check every tenth round. Agrees with my balance beam.

:popcorn:

I did buy a Cabelas brand scale and it was awfull. Returned it and got the RCBS. Been at least six years now.

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    My Pact scale is close to 25 years old and has never had a problem of any sort. My 50 grain check weight is always dead on, so I don't even have to recalibrate.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    FWIW, my ~15 year old Pact BBK II no longer "locks" on a weight, continues to wander and is of no use now while my ~38 year old RCBS 505 is still on the money and should last another 38 years.

I consider the lifespan and performance of any electronic item as hit or miss...may last a year, may last 15, may last much longer. Consider them to be a consumable item and you won't be disappointed.

I replaced the Pact with a GemPro 250 just to try something different.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    My 25 year old Pact scale display went bad. I bought a new Frankford Arsenal from Midway and am amazed how much better it is. It seems impervious to air currents that would drive the old Pact crazy. The new one is rock solid stable.

I was at Tomlinson's in Churubusco yesterday. They stock them and others at competitive prices. I wish I had known, I much prefer buying from LGS.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My Pact scale is close to 25 years old and has never had a problem of any sort. My 50 grain check weight is always dead on, so I don't even have to recalibrate.

My PACT scale is about fifteen years old, and it still works perfectly, just as your does.
    The best investment I ever made for my reloading setup, aside from my RockChucker Supreme, of course. ;)

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I had 2 Hornady digital scales & they weren't even consistent with each other. I have a couple of cheap MTM digital scales & they have been surprisingly reliable & consistent.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I must be in the minority. I use a Hornady bench scale and it's been flawless. It always returns to zero when the pan is put back on. It does stay inside though so no extreme temps.:twocents:

topash

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Anywhere
    I used to have trouble with my Pact until I bought an isolation transformer to feed it. I live out in the country and our electric power fluctuates constantly. Now the Pact works consistently without variation and no need to re-calibrate during a reloading session.

Top Bottom