• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The label references what kind of plane it is not what kind of engine does it have. The 2 things are related, but general categories, not specific engine designs.

Does it go forward with a spinny thing outside the engine or really hot air and spinny things inside the engine?

[Here at INGO, we argue about some really strange things sometimes.] ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    ?

In a jet, the combustion of the gases provide the thrust. In a turboprop, the prop provides the thrust.

I haven't looked at the exact differences in a long time, so my memory may be deserting me, but I don't think it accurate to say a turboprop engine is a jet engine - at least not in the context of flight.

Well, in a gas turbofan engine, what we're calling a jet, it's not the combustion itself that provides the thrust; the hot exhaust gases provide the thrust. But that wouldn't be possible without the combustion. A turbo-prop is more of a hybrid. It also has a gas turbine similar to a gas turbofan engine, but the turbine powers the shaft which drives the prop. The exhaust doesn't provide much thrust though. Most comes from the prop. I don't think it's incorrect to call either a "jet" really. But usually when we think of "jets" we think of the gas turbines which provide all the thrust.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Well, in a gas turbofan engine, what we're calling a jet, it's not the combustion itself that provides the thrust; the hot exhaust gases provide the thrust. But that wouldn't be possible without the combustion. A turbo-prop is more of a hybrid. It also has a gas turbine similar to a gas turbofan engine, but the turbine powers the shaft which drives the prop. The exhaust doesn't provide much thrust though. Most comes from the prop. I don't think it's incorrect to call either a "jet" really. But usually when we think of "jets" we think of the gas turbines which provide all the thrust.

I am certainly not disagreeing with the mechanics of the engines. :)

I'm not even arguing that there are certain regulatory agencies or military institutions that classify aircraft certain technical ways based on engine design.

In common parlance and tradition though, the taxonomy of fixed wing aircraft starts with the most general binary denomination of "propeller" or "jet."

ETA:
    Ok, maybe "biplane" could be a higher order of differentiation. Or lower, but I can't think of any jet biplanes. That'd be kinda cool, though.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

I'm not even arguing that there are certain regulatory agencies or military institutions that classify aircraft certain technical ways based on engine design.

In common parlance and tradition though, the taxonomy of fixed wing aircraft starts with the most general binary denomination of "propeller" or "jet."

ETA:
    Ok, maybe "biplane" could be a higher order of differentiation. Or lower, but I can't think of any jet biplanes. That'd be kinda cool, though.

What the heck do stuffed deer heads have to do with jets?

.....wait a minute. I'm having a Biden moment...... that's taxiDERMY. :)

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What the heck do stuffed deer heads have to do with jets?

giphy.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Well, awktchually, Alpo is making a valid distinction. Modern turbofan engines such as the ones on common narrow body a/c generate a lot of thrust via air that takes the cold path. Such engines have 'bypass ratios' in the range of 9:1 to 11:1, meaning that from 90 to 91.7% of the air mass moved to provide thrust doesn't go through the combustor at all. A modern high bypass engine is closer to a ducted fan with a small turbine core spinning everything but the lions share of the thrust coming from the mass moved by what is essentially a large propeller contained in a housing. The only real difference between a turbo-prop and a turbofan is whitey doesn't like to see the blades

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

ETA:

View attachment 84896

The gliders has a sad

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I’m just glad that I help to start a lively conversation where, no one blames Kut, or got banned.

But, it’s still a jet engine, with a gearbox. :D

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I’m just glad that I help to start a lively conversation where, no one blames Kut, or got banned.

But, it’s still a jet engine, with a gearbox. :D

Oh, its totally Kut's fault. And the DNC. And the vast right wing conspiracy.

And it may be a jet engine, but its a propeller-propelled plane. :D

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Well, awktchually, Alpo is making a valid distinction. Modern turbofan engines such as the ones on common narrow body a/c generate a lot of thrust via air that takes the cold path. Such engines have 'bypass ratios' in the range of 9:1 to 11:1, meaning that from 90 to 91.7% of the air mass moved to provide thrust doesn't go through the combustor at all. A modern high bypass engine is closer to a ducted fan with a small turbine core spinning everything but the lions share of the thrust coming from the mass moved by what is essentially a large propeller contained in a housing. The only real difference between a turbo-prop and a turbofan is whitey doesn't like to see the blades

Damn. Did Bug just agree with me? I'm gonna print this out and frame it.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Russia is only reporting about 150 cases of coronavirus and no deaths. Anyone really believe that?

Seems to me Putin (to the extent he's not keeping the lid clamped down on this virus thing) is surveying his options about how best to leverage the US's focus on the domestic pandemic.

Likewise, China is probably pushing to recover as fast as possible to enhance the SCS positions and maybe even look at re-integrating Taiwan.

Top Bottom