• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Serious question... can the President simply de-staff the department? Appoint a Secretary of DOE and de-prioritize all of it's "missions" and furlough the staff?

Under the "more than one way to skin a cat" paradigm?

The cabinet heads serve at the pleasure of the chief executive so he can fire them at will. The Senate has to confirm any new appointees. I don't know if the President can dissolve an entire cabinet level department without congressional approval.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    The cabinet heads serve at the pleasure of the chief executive so he can fire them at will. The Senate has to confirm any new appointees. I don't know if the President can dissolve an entire cabinet level department without congressional approval.
    So, at minimum, a hiring freeze. Let attrition do it's thing. prioritize any non-mandated programs... lay those folks off. Etc...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, at minimum, a hiring freeze. Let attrition do it's thing. prioritize any non-mandated programs... lay those folks off. Etc...

I don't see any reason the POTUS can't downsize. It would be great to make it official and have congress pass a law that cuts funding, and the POTUS just dissolves the department.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Idunno. She doesn’t really do it for me. How bout a compromise. Paulina Luna?

View attachment 290747

Granted. Bobert has a couple of strong points about her. I think Luna though has the overall bundle you want in a veep.
    Not looking for a "bundle" here. Looking for someone who will get caught by paparazzi making out (or worse*) with Katie Hill / MTG / one of Palin's daughters...

(*or better, depending how you look at it)

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I don't see any reason the POTUS can't downsize. It would be great to make it official and have congress pass a law that cuts funding, and the POTUS just dissolves the department.
    Downsize the **** out of it in the name of efficient government. If it ain't in the law, don't do it and furlough the positions to match... they can apply for other equivalent GSA positions elsewhere, not needed at the Department of Education.

Straight up let go all of the "schedule F" employees... if they make decisions or policy, they are not protected by the CPA. Fire them.

Freeze all hiring and promotions, indefinitely. A lot of the remainder will worm their way elsewhere so they can keep going up the government scale.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    As in out of DC? Wouldn’t that take money that must be appropriated by congress?
    I would think they could use the money appropriated for the Dept. Just have to make cuts to pay for it, like the downsizing mentioned by others.

That would get them out of DC and make them smaller. Win Win

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

“People have written Governor DeSantis’s obituary many times,” the new campaign manager, who previously worked for the Trump administration and served as general counsel to DeSantis, wrote in a statement to the Messenger, the outlet which first broke the story.

“From his race against establishment primary candidate Adam Putnam, to his victory over legacy media-favored candidate Andrew Gillum, to his twenty-point win over Charlie Crist, Governor DeSantis has proven that he knows how to win. He’s breaking records on fundraising and has a supporting super PAC with $100 million in the bank and an incredible ground game. Get ready.”

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I'm trying to think of examples where a candidate reboots/resets/replaces people/etc. on his campaign and it actually worked to get him over the line, so to speak. I'm sure there have been some one-offs with regard to individual personnel, or maybe tweeking funds expenditures but I can't quickly recall a campaign that shuffled the deck so early in a race and benefitted from it. I'm pretty sure D'tis has the capacity to better his campaigns standing but this isn't a good look for any candidate, especially this early in the race. Lots of time left, though.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I'm trying to think of examples where a candidate reboots/resets/replaces people/etc. on his campaign and it actually worked to get him over the line, so to speak. I'm sure there have been some one-offs with regard to individual personnel, or maybe tweeking funds expenditures but I can't quickly recall a campaign that shuffled the deck so early in a race and benefitted from it. I'm pretty sure D'tis has the capacity to better his campaigns standing but this isn't a good look for any candidate, especially this early in the race. Lots of time left, though.
    Yes, at some point the Dems have to run out of indictments to throw at Trump and then the real race can begin, lol!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Serious question... can the President simply de-staff the department? Appoint a Secretary of DOE and de-prioritize all of it's "missions" and furlough the staff?

Under the "more than one way to skin a cat" paradigm?
    Huge number of employees are eligible for civil service protections. Can't fire them, have to give them advance notice and hold hearings in order to reassign them

That is what Schedule F was designed to tackle. If they had decision making authority, they would be reclassified and serve at the pleasure of the POTUS or they could voluntarily change jobs to avoid that reclassification

It actually was pretty brilliant

Blah blah pen, phone, Trump didn't get it done etc :coffee:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Huge number of employees are eligible for civil service protections. Can't fire them, have to give them advance notice and hold hearings in order to reassign them

That is what Schedule F was designed to tackle. If they had decision making authority, they would be reclassified and serve at the pleasure of the POTUS or they could voluntarily change jobs to avoid that reclassification

Too bad he didn't do that day 1.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just make sure you remember how many people, pretending to be on our side up to that point, joined in the hamstringing of him and his administration. The excuse was how horrible he was, but in my mind the truth was nobody wanted the pendulum to swing that much

And they're doing it again and will likely keep doing it until it is our boot on their neck

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC

Waited almost the entire 4 years to EVEN start... the law was the same the whole time.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Waited almost the entire 4 years to EVEN start... the law was the same the whole time.
    And, of course, he had NOTHING else to worry about during that whole time, yes? Guessing you have an imperfect understanding of the concept of 'pick your battles'

Blah, blah Trump didn't get everything I wanted done when I wanted it done
    [but DeSantis will :@ya:]

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Top Bottom