• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunbunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2008
    Boilermaker Country
    I'm in Lafayette. We're fresh out of deer at the moment, but muzzle loader season is coming. :)

The silver skin is what imparts a gamey taste, right? Is this more like tendons, or a sheath covering the muscles?

I recently spent half an hour slicing through a few pounds of "stew meat" from the butcher, separating the meaty bits from the non-meat. Lots of meat-to-notmeat adhesion; I'm guessing that's what the silver skin is like.

Man, now I'm one of those creepy people who eye deer roadkill and think, I could practice on that if it were fresh...

PM66

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Crumstown, IN
    I'm in Lafayette. We're fresh out of deer at the moment, but muzzle loader season is coming. :)

The silver skin is what imparts a gamey taste, right? Is this more like tendons, or a sheath covering the muscles?

I recently spent half an hour slicing through a few pounds of "stew meat" from the butcher, separating the meaty bits from the non-meat. Lots of meat-to-notmeat adhesion; I'm guessing that's what the silver skin is like.

Man, now I'm one of those creepy people who eye deer roadkill and think, I could practice on that if it were fresh...

I've processed my own road kill:D Lots of damage, but can't let the good stuff go to waste!. A lot of times, though, there's no point in trying!
    If my walk in cooler's not working (aka - a fairly consistent 40 degree garage) I use Jaworskis in South Bend (Closer to Crumstown) just for a northern IN reference. A little over $100 for a mix of ground, steaks, & roasts. I don't mix my ground venison at processing. I just add fat at preparation, if needed.

curhuntrer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Greensburg
    That irritatates the hell out of me, WHAT WILL YOu People do when there is no butchers. Starve? Grow a set and do it yourself, Muat have more money than sense!!!

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    That irritatates the hell out of me, WHAT WILL YOu People do when there is no butchers. Starve? Grow a set and do it yourself, Muat have more money than sense!!!

No they will find people who can do it. There are allot of people who can but for one reason or another choose not to.

I do a lot of bird processing, and have done a variety of other animals. Currently I choose to have a "pro" do my Goat and larger animals. I have arthritis in my hands and doing the larger animals would be painful. I can and would If it became necessary. I choose to support a local butcher and have him processing of larger animals. As our herd of goats get larger and my son gets older I / we will most likely start doing them ourselves. Like most things farm related I teach my children as we do things.

Some people will never be able to do the processing of an animal, even when they killed it. Our society has marked the job as nasty, dirty, you name it, but society has little respect for the butcher these days. Society in general would rather go to (XYZ) and buy their meat in neatly packaged containers. That way they don't have to consider the life that ended to provide them with food.

curhuntrer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Greensburg
    No they will find people who can do it. There are allot of people who can but for one reason or another choose not to.

I do a lot of bird processing, and have done a variety of other animals. Currently I choose to have a "pro" do my Goat and larger animals. I have arthritis in my hands and doing the larger animals would be painful. I can and would If it became necessary. I choose to support a local butcher and have him processing of larger animals. As our herd of goats get larger and my son gets older I / we will most likely start doing them ourselves. Like most things farm related I teach my children as we do things.

Some people will never be able to do the processing of an animal, even when they killed it. Our society has marked the job as nasty, dirty, you name it, but society has little respect for the butcher these days. Society in general would rather go to (XYZ) and buy their meat in neatly packaged containers. That way they don't have to consider the life that ended to provide them with food.
    WELL SAID,and I see your pont, but these people are looking for someone to butcher THEIR DEER, not the cow or goat they raised, (or bought), call me old fashion, but sinceI was little (only 29now) we raised, killed, and processed what we eat. I call it LAZY, and Kmart Cowboys. 90% percent of the people in the city would not make it a week in the outdoors, the real outdoors. Not a drawn salaughter at a national forest.

deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I also get mine done at Zanesville also. I have them process the roast, loins burger, summer sausage, & steaks. They do a great job and the turn a round is very fast.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    A big shout out to FlatRock Apples and Knightstown Meat Locker both did my butchering before I did my own. And a very fine job they did...only $75 tip to tail!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

This does not apply to everyone, I have done every one of my deer myself except one of my three this year. I got it late on a Sun night and was jammed with appointments at work the following week.

I took it to Lenachers (sp?) out side of Grabil IN. Cheap and I had some things made that I normally dont do myself (snack sticks)

So this thread is helpful to me.

savageayape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Martinsville
    WELL SAID,and I see your pont, but these people are looking for someone to butcher THEIR DEER, not the cow or goat they raised, (or bought), call me old fashion, but sinceI was little (only 29now) we raised, killed, and processed what we eat. I call it LAZY, and Kmart Cowboys. 90% percent of the people in the city would not make it a week in the outdoors, the real outdoors. Not a drawn salaughter at a national forest.

A lot of people don't have a proper area to butcher a deer. I didn't butcher my deer until after I purchased 41 acres and finally had a place I could properly do it. I live in a condominium and have no garage. I also work 70 to 105 hours per week. Though very few people work as many hours as I do, there are a lot of people who hunt, but also have a lot of other responsibilities. There is also the possibility of the idea of butchering a deer not being something every hunter is interested in either. If the fun is no longer there, then some people would rather pay someone else to do the butchering. Most people don't use a reloader either, but I don't see many gun owners giving them a hard time.

El Cazador

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    NW Hendricks CO
    Old thread, but Kludge, on my trips back and forth to Westfield from Lebanon, there was a sign along 32 pointing up a road heading north that advertised deer processing. I have no knowledge of the person, or of they are any good, but if you have some time and want to investigate, it might be a good place for you.

I do know a private individual who's a professional butcher outside of Lebanon who does some deer processing, but I'd have to ask him permission to give his name out, even through PM's.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Old thread but thought is share.

Deer Creek Deer Processing out in Putnam County. Big :yesway:, they have done all my deer so far (im to lazy to do it myself), good prices, and they make the best darn jerky ever. :yesway:

raiven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    well i do butcher my own deer every year it is a good skill to have since most people thinks why do you need that we have stores little that they know is they are the ones in trouble not us .all because they forget you always can,t relay on the community to provide things so they are the ones that will riot at the end for not sticking to there roots on providing food with a gun or bow.so as i see it shame on them for not learning before it,s to late.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This year I will offer butchering services for the greater indy area. My goal is quick turnaround (24hrs) since I only have one deep freezer. however I might have to turn down some work depending on outside temp and volume. We will see how it goes. I'm curious if anyone on here would be interested on that.

Top Bottom