• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Let's have a thread to post up where you get your processing done, thumbs up, or thumbs down, and the price.

I'm looking for a processor on the north of Indy... Westfield, Noblesville, Sheridan area.

I'd go as far as Avon or Lebanon.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    Not close to Indy, but I get my deer processed in Zanesville, Lingrich. I have them turn 100% of the meat into burger with Bacon ends added. Yes, probably should keep the tenderloins in tact but we never eat them that way, just burger. Big thumbs up, but can't remember the price, i am guessing at a bit less than $2.00 per pound.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have only used two places, one was Archers in Greenwood and they were kinda pricy ($125 for basic) took a while and didnt seem to get a whole lot of meat back.

I hunt just south of Seymour so I usually drop em at a place called Darlige in Seymour. You get a lot of your meat back, they are quick and its only $75 for basic.

I know these aren't in your area but just thought I would share

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I always do my own, but late this last Sunday I nailed a small buck and took it to Lengarcher meats outside of Grabil. I did not have time this week to process it. I have heard good things about them. $60 to process, add more for sausage, stix etc.

Will let you know how it turns out.

spainy79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Sullivan
    I took mine to Dirty Harry's located in Greene/Sullivan State Forest (right beside the 4-Way Bait Shop). I've never dealt with him before but a friend recommended him. Not sure when I'll get it back, I was way down on the list.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    Not anywhere near you, but Wabash Clay Custom Meats in Clay City (curiously enough, in Clay County) did a fantastic job this year, as usual.

Total price was $96 for loin steaks, round steaks, three rolls of sausage and a whole mess of burger with beef fat.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    I go to the southwest edge of Bloomington now. K&W on Dillman Rd. They did mine last year and I was very happy with the results. $75.00 for a regular cut. Not bad.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    BW....Most likely your address if correct. I just reference my turn at Dillman Rd. That's how I locate it. They have quite the operation.

PsYcHo SqUiRrEl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Greenetucky
    I used Rice's outside of Spencer. Last deer I took there was $80 I think. They cut the steaks in packages of two and I had the rest in burger. I love the fact that they vacuum seal the packages and flash froze it. Lasts quite a while without any freezer burn. I'll be taking my next one there. Wait time wasn't bad either.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    I have been pleased with the Archer Meat & Catering in Fishers, which fits your location, Kludge. I have used the one in Greenwood, too, and slightly prefer the northiside one.

I guess I would have to look at my receipt from last year but I don't remember it costing $125. Maybe if you get sausage? I know they charge extra for that. Possibly they raised their prices. For whatever reason, the number $65 or $85 is sticking in my head but don't hold me to that.

Their turnaround has been 3-5 days when I have used them. Probably depends on the level of business. I would imagine the few days after opening day they are a lot slower. If you get one during archery or muzzle loader season they are fairly quick.

I feel like they do a nice job there and the deer does not come back tasting skanky. I am convinced that the reason people say they don't like the taste of deer is due to bad processing of the animal. The ones I have had done at Archers, you can feed the meat to city people ;-)

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Seeing these prices makes me glad we used to do our own when I still hunted a few years ago.

One guy we hunted with had a milk truck cooler built into his tool shed so we could keep our game cold (skinned and halved) just like a meat locker would. Then another guy had a large utility room in his shed a few miles away with a big 6x10' kitchen counter top. We could lay a whole deer (2 halves) on the table and have 2 guys work on each half removing the meat and another 2-3 guys cut steaks or chunks for burger (we mixed with fatty ground pork.) We could do 3-5 a night. Then on the last night we made burger with a commercial grinder that a was picked up at an auction. We even used old lard presses to fill commercial burger tubes. Pretty good for a bunch of amateurs.

The great part was that the first half on the table, its loin was donated to the grill. Nothing quite like fresh loin cooked by someone who knows what they're doing. That and a whole mess of Canadian whisky and cola to wash it down. :)

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I use marshs in middletown it is just south of Anderson on highway 36. They go by the weight of the deer. I dropped a 70 pounder off last night and it is $65 to have the regular stuff done. I think $6 for a pound of jerky, $6 for sticks and $7.50- $9 for a 3 pound role of summer sausage.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    one stop shopping

This year I am using Coal Hollow Taxidermy
    north of Rockville and close to Danville Illinois off of 63 on 263
    They are not only a check station they process and mount
    This is the 1 st yr Im using them to process but I have had mounts from them and if they process half as well as mount I will be happy
    65 dollars process add 15 if cape is still on and they also do stix ,sausage whatever you want for a little extra
    there mounts are fantastic also

Cbarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Earth
    DIY 'er here.

Never been happy with any processing I've had done.

I'm pretty simple though - I cut out the back strap, grind everything else into burger.

Last edited:

gunbunny

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2008
    Boilermaker Country
    I wish I knew someone who would teach me how to butcher a deer! I am the first hunter in my family after a generational break from the sport and oddly enough, none of my chick friends are into animal disassembly.

I paid a total of $110 for fancy-schmancy deer processing at D&R in Lafayette (grind this, sausage that, flavor that...) for the hefty buck I took a couple weeks ago, and $80 for a small deer at Gene's in Lafayette. Both were quickly processed and nicely paper-wrapped. I'd rather just process it myself though.

I've been studying A Guide to Butchering Deer but I need to find someone experienced who's willing to take advantage of a volunteer butcher for a day.

Meat: It's What's For Dinner!!!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I wish I knew someone who would teach me how to butcher a deer! I am the first hunter in my family after a generational break from the sport and oddly enough, none of my chick friends are into animal disassembly.

I paid a total of $110 for fancy-schmancy deer processing at D&R in Lafayette (grind this, sausage that, flavor that...) for the hefty buck I took a couple weeks ago, and $80 for a small deer at Gene's in Lafayette. Both were quickly processed and nicely paper-wrapped. I'd rather just process it myself though.

I've been studying A Guide to Butchering Deer but I need to find someone experienced who's willing to take advantage of a volunteer butcher for a day.

Meat: It's What's For Dinner!!!

Where are you at? If you are near Fort Wayne I can run you through it. Once you get it skinned just follow the muscle lines with your knife. The hard part is getting all the damned silver skin off. The front shoulders are a pain for this.

Top Bottom