• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jaymark6655

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2018
    Bloomington
    I wondered if DST was worth, especially since every president seems to change to make it "better". So, I spent a week looking at it in my spare time.

I looked at it based on the average American, works 0800 to 1700, has a 26 minute commute, and takes 30 minutes to get ready in the morning. (Looked all this up, I am definitely not average.) Seems to be about an hour difference between sunrise and sunsets from east side to west side of a time zone, I kind of went for the middle. Sure latitude matters too, but this was getting difficult for me to track, so ignored that.

What I found shocked me, current DST very optimized only for maximizing daylight after work. Having DST:
    1. Used the most energy (lights on) for getting ready for work 105 hours vs. 61 hours (DST vs. No DST)
    2. DST results in the most days driving to work in the dark, 162 days vs. 97 days
    3. DST increases daylight time after getting home from work, 750 hours vs. 511 hours.

Going DST all year makes the first two numbers slightly worse for 874 hours of daylight after work.
    Trying to optimize by changing time by 0.5 hour four times a year would drop days driving in the dark to 97 days, lights for getting ready 61-74 hours, and daylight after work 633-685 hours.

Problem is time changes screw up people and cause more accidents and work injuries. So it really is a fight, is more daylight after work important or is a commuting during daylight hours and reducing accidents due to driving in the dark more important.

I like the after work daylight, so lets move to DST all year. I think the commuting in the dark will be offset by the decrease in accidents normally caused by the time changes.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If they ever do take DST away and or move us to CST my quality of life would truly be diminished. I genuinely use that hour or two of light to work and play. It would be missed greatly.

And f*** that you can do it in the morning. That is not an option for my work nor my play...
    **** time zones. Let’s move to UTC time. As the economy becomes more global, local time means less and less. Local community standards can establish local dayshift working hours.

It’s time to stop worrying about time zones. The sun will set tonight at my house ~6:49pm EST which is 23:49 UTC. The sun will set tomorrow at ~7:49 DST which is also 23:49 UTC. That we need a clock to say 12:00 when the sun is at its highest angle of the day is a social construct.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So life just grinds to a halt for you from November to March? Can you at least admit that there are others for whom that extra light at night is of no use to them?
    All we’re talking about here is time relative to work hours. When you say you want more daylight in the evening or morning, for that matter, it’s really nonsensical unless you say relative to what. And the “what” is work or school. Mike wants more hours of daylight after work for doing whatever. So do I. Having hours of daylight before work has no value for me. So ai get it. And I suspect that most people want that too.

Okay so the if we observe UTC and stop using time zones maybe instead of schools starting at 8:30 am, they start at 1:30PM UTC. And your employer starts at 2:00 UTC. So then instead of setting your alarm for 6:am EST, your morning starts at 11AM UTC. day, so the maybe bedtime in your community is typically is around 3AM UTC, give or take an hour or two.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    **** time zones. Let’s move to UTC time. As the economy becomes more global, local time means less and less. Local community standards can establish local dayshift working hours.

It’s time to stop worrying about time zones. The sun will set tonight at my house ~6:49pm EST which is 23:49 UTC. The sun will set tomorrow at ~7:49 DST which is also 23:49 UTC. That we need a clock to say 12:00 when the sun is at its highest angle of the day is a social construct.
    I get all that but what I like is the relative relationship that maximizes the time to sunset after the typical business day. I don't care how that is achieved, but I have that now and fear tinkering will screw it up.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    All we’re talking about here is time relative to work hours. When you say you want more daylight in the evening or morning, for that matter, it’s really nonsensical unless you say relative to what. And the “what” is work or school. Mike wants more hours of daylight after work for doing whatever. So do I. Having hours of daylight before work has no value for me. So ai get it. And I suspect that most people want that too.

Okay so the if we observe UTC and stop using time zones maybe instead of schools starting at 8:30 am, they start at 1:30PM UTC. And your employer starts at 2:00 UTC. So then instead of setting your alarm for 6:am EST, your morning starts at 11AM UTC. day, so the maybe bedtime in your community is typically is around 3AM UTC, give or take an hour or two.
    I do have the fear that without the time zones some entity would dictate that the entire country be in the the PTB time no matter how screwed up. Like forcing California business to be open at the same time as NY for the convenience of the PTB...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I get all that but what I like is the relative relationship that maximizes the time to sunset after the typical business day. I don't care how that is achieved, but I have that now and fear tinkering will screw it up.

As technology increases the world will shrink more. My employer is global. We have coworkers all over the world. It will only become more like that. Not less. UTC is a timekeeping standard that the world will eventually grow into. I think it’s inevitable. So I don’t classify that as tinkering. It would be difficult for people to get used to it initially. But easy to do after that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Yeah, I get that. And as I said, I achieve those extra hours after work by starting earlier, but I realize not everyone has the flexibility to do that.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It shows that huge amount of our anti DST'rs never had business dealings with businesses in the state in a different time zone when the majority of the state was on the same time year round. It caused problems, both from logistical and operations standpoint with companies that did business over the entire state.

It was a nightmare on a daily basis dealing with the "region", Jeffersonville/Clarksville/New Albany and Evansville areas.

Not only that, but it caused problems with shippers from out of state, and when you're getting 75-100+ trucks a day bringing in shipments. it was confusing as :poop: and a pain in the arse for my old beer distributor and any other type of distributor.

I just wish people would stop biotching about some of the simple things like changing a clock twice a year while our rights are being slowly eroded, but that is a different thread.
    You do realize that these places are STILL in different time zones?

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    You do realize that these places are STILL in different time zones?
    Not all, the Jeffersonville/Clarksville/New Albany are EST.

Evansville should be by all standards with the rest of Indiana because the central time zone is inappropriately to large.

The region, they associate with Chicago, some times the way a lot of people act up there and the way they vote, we should just let Illinois have it and we take equal a amount of southeastern Illinois.

But then, who would Chicago have to blame their gun violence on.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well, I've got all my clocks changed except for the mantle clock, and of course the computer and phone clocks will take care of themselves. All set to have lunch at sunrise tomorrow now. ;)

Top Bottom