Not open for further replies.

llh1956

CZ Wizard
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    Lawrence, IN.
    At my age, I should have figured that it was going to happen, but still, out of my lifetime friends, I’ve always considered Zane the most fit & healthy … even at 71,

But the Covid virus took him away , on the last day of 2020. And just as abruptly as he entered my life when I was 19, he exited without warning. There was just a Facebook post from his former wife, that ended-up on my wife’s feed. My wife and his ex-wife were in the same High School class, and stay in infrequent touch.

Although we’d texted a few times, the last time that I saw Zane was when we took this selfie, at a holiday party at the end of 2017. He was a very private person, so gaps of a year or more here-and-there weren’t uncommon… but we always fell into a warm cadence of instant familiarity with each other when we visited. We’d shared much over the decades.

He'd spent much of his life in the Army .... both active duty in Vietnam, and Army reserve. When they finally drug him out of the Green Machine (probably kicking and fighting !) he was a Warrant Officer. He was a jumpmaster, a black belt in Kenpo karate, and one of the most fearless men that I'd ever met.

If Zane was here to console me, he’s just chuckle and say : “hey, it’s just like drinking tea from an empty cup”…which was one of his favorite expressions. So I keep that thought in mind. But tonight, my heart hurts.

So sorry for the loss of your friend. Prayers sent.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Afternoon, everyone.

I've got some deer meat browned in my dutch oven. Precooking some roughly diced veggies for some braised front shoulders (and one lonely shank). Gotta love getting all the "junk" meat that the rest of the family won't eat. Been a long while since I've cooked.

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    We have been looking at doing a beef stew on the fire outside lately. To late to do it today but soon.
    That sounds great. Sadly, I don't have a proper outside firepit. I sometimes sear the meat over charcoal or wood to bring out some other flavors. It's going to sound weird, but I do the main cooking of my stews/curries in the oven. Just warm enough that it simmers.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Woot.....mission success for Tarzan and 88' ! ....wear your long undies ! ;)

It was a good range trip shooting with Tarzan, but a cold one. I ran an M1 Carbine a bit and then ran my M4V1 for a bit just to keep current with it. I took the Ruger Gunsight Scout along for Tarzan to check ammo with.

I did discover that the BCM hand grip bottom door does not like the cold much as I ended up tearing it off while opening it up for the spare batteries I keep in there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That sounds great. Sadly, I don't have a proper outside firepit. I sometimes sear the meat over charcoal or wood to bring out some other flavors. It's going to sound weird, but I do the main cooking of my stews/curries in the oven. Just warm enough that it simmers.
    This is not weird at all.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    On seriously cold days when I can put some serious heat in this CKW makes campfire meals on it and man they are good.

Smoked sausage and sliced taters with onions and bell peppers......Yuuuuum

3Hq7RPF.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    It was a good range trip shooting with Tarzan, but a cold one. I ran an M1 Carbine a bit and then ran my M4V1 for a bit just to keep current with it. I took the Ruger Gunsight Scout along for Tarzan to check ammo with.

If I remember correctly, that Daniel Defense rifle is your Go To War piece ..... your main-squeeze, so to speak, if the world should go off-kilter.
    It's definitely a good idea to maintain familiarity with such a designated firearm. And it's a reminder for me to ***pull out my BCM rifle, and do the same. Thanks ! :thumbsup:

*** Edit .... when it warms up ! ;)

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    On seriously cold days when I can put some serious heat in this CKW makes campfire meals on it and man they are good.

Smoked sausage and sliced taters with onions and bell peppers......Yuuuuum
    I love the small pot-belly stove at the cabin. In the winter, I'll pull off the decorative piece on the top, and put a cast iron teapot on the cast iron top.

I've never tried cooking food on it ..... that's a great idea ! :cool:

i-QqbpMqn-XL.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love the small pot-belly stove at the cabin. In the winter, I'll pull off the decorative piece on the top, and put a cast iron teapot on the cast iron top.

I've never tried cooking food on it ..... that's a great idea ! :cool:

i-QqbpMqn-XL.jpg
    Use double foil. Make a campfire meal like I described. Cut up some chicken breasts and put in what ever suits you. You can even do a baked tater in the coals if you triple wrap it in foil. Split it. Slice it 1/4" thick pieces the length of the tater. Put pats of butter in the cuts. Ring out an onion. Maybe some bell pepper. Salt and pepper it. Put it on the side in the coals and rotate it regularly. Then move it up top when done. The smells are amazing.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I love my BCM rifle, thinking of making some changes. But it on an first run INGO lower, rest is BCM. But it was changed up when I abandoned all you lovely people for a few years. It is also my go to war rifle, simple, yet effective. I love it, but there are things I’d like to love more.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Use double foil. Make a campfire meal like I described. Cut up some chicken breasts and put in what ever suits you. You can even do a baked tater in the coals if you triple wrap it in foil. Split it. Slice it 1/4" thick pieces the length of the tater. Put pats of butter in the cuts. Ring out an onion. Maybe some bell pepper. Salt and pepper it. Put it on the side in the coals and rotate it regularly. Then move it up top when done. The smells are amazing.
    Yes-O-Yes ..... I love me a stuffed tater !!! :wwub:

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I love my BCM rifle, thinking of making some changes. But it on an first run INGO lower, rest is BCM. But it was changed up when I abandoned all you lovely people for a few years. It is also my go to war rifle, simple, yet effective. I love it, but there are things I’d like to love more.
    You can't go wrong with a BCM (and don't you dare abandon us again, RH ! )

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I no longer have any BCM pieces since I discovered the Standard matched sets.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    I'm not going to say im jealous of your wood burning stove, because I know with time, I will have my own. BUT dang it sounds amazing on a cold winter night

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom