Not open for further replies.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So its cool to shoot :poop: ass steel ammo through your nice AR and blow the barrel out of it in 6K rounds because =you save enough to buy a new barrel.....and then replace all the parts in the BCG as well.

:bs:

Steel might be real but in ammo it is suckage.
    My observations:

- Current Bushmaster is not a nice AR. A nice AR would have faired better in the testing.
    - 6-10k rounds in a few days time with minimal cleaning is asking ALOT from a rifle. A longer time frame with shorter cleaning intervals could produce longer life in those guns.
    - A replacement Bushmaster barrel is not $250. It's way less, possibly almost half that.
    - If you buy 6000 rounds of steel case at $180 per case (pre-Covid) versus $280 for brass case, you saved $600. You could buy a really good barrel for $200, rebuild the BCG for like $30. You'd still have $370 leftover. Now you can buy 2000 more rounds of steel case.

My point is, if a person is just looking to keep training costs down, steel case makes absolute sense. Yes, it is not as good as brass case, definitely not disputing that. But if I can train with 8k rounds of ammo versus 6k rounds of ammo, for the same dollar amount spent, why wouldn't I do that?

*Obviously if someone reloads, that could change some numbers around, so I could see an argument there to use the brass case instead, but the number of people who reload are less than those who don't.

And my final point. Who is going to shoot that much ammo in their AR over the next few years?? I bet none of us!

Last edited:

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    This hobby is very expensive to practice regularly. Reducing the costs to practice, especially in regards to ammo, just makes sense to me.

The rate of fire in the test, imnsho, significantly increased the wear in the barrels along with the bimetal bullet which is a whole other discussion.

They disclosed running the guns so hot that a chambered round would light off in a matter of seconds.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The rate of fire in the test, imnsho, significantly increased the wear in the barrels along with the bimetal bullet which is a whole other discussion.

They disclosed running the guns so hot that a chambered round would light off in a matter of seconds.
    Yep, I saw those as major factors as well. I haven't read the complete article beyond the bimetal bullet specific section and watching the videos, but running that much ammo that fast would definitely be well beyond my use case. I'll be reading the rest of the info in the near term, and checking out anything specific to the cases itself and the coatings.

For me, I don't run a centerfire rifle caliber much so again definitely not my use case, but interesting info, especially in times of ammo scarcity as we have now.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Random thoughts. No particular order, just random.

Hornady has steel case match ammo. Wolf has steel case 22 match ammo.

Wolf .223 is neutered down. It runs great in overgassed guns and makes for a softer than usual shooting experience. Which is nice for recoil sensitive shooters. I've had reasonably good accuracy with Wolf steel case .223.

It's okay to put ketchup on a hotdog.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    My ARs and sks are basically man cave ornaments at this point. I have some ammo but i dont want to shoot it because i dont want to have to buy more. Steel case is still more than im willing to pay. Ive contemplated selling it all aside from my midget and carry gun to start a cheaper hobby like drag racing or cocaine or something but then if SHTF id be stanky. Living off of carry gun practice and .22lr scratches the itch but isnt near as fulfilling.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    My ARs and sks are basically man cave ornaments at this point. I have some ammo but i dont want to shoot it because i dont want to have to buy more. Steel case is still more than im willing to pay. Ive contemplated selling it all aside from my midget and carry gun to start a cheaper hobby like drag racing or cocaine or something but then if SHTF id be stanky. Living off of carry gun practice and .22lr scratches the itch but isnt near as fulfilling.
    I hear crocheting is nice.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My observations:

- Current Bushmaster is not a nice AR. A nice AR would have faired better in the testing.
    - 6-10k rounds in a few days time with minimal cleaning is asking ALOT from a rifle. A longer time frame with shorter cleaning intervals could produce longer life in those guns.
    - A replacement Bushmaster barrel is not $250. It's way less, possibly almost half that.
    - If you buy 6000 rounds of steel case at $180 per case (pre-Covid) versus $280 for brass case, you saved $600. You could buy a really good barrel for $200, rebuild the BCG for like $30. You'd still have $370 leftover. Now you can buy 2000 more rounds of steel case.

My point is, if a person is just looking to keep training costs down, steel case makes absolute sense. Yes, it is not as good as brass case, definitely not disputing that. But if I can train with 8k rounds of ammo versus 6k rounds of ammo, for the same dollar amount spent, why wouldn't I do that?

*Obviously if someone reloads, that could change some numbers around, so I could see an argument there to use the brass case instead, but the number of people who reload are less than those who don't.

And my final point. Who is going to shoot that much ammo in their AR over the next few years?? I bet none of us!
    Absolutely no argument from me on how you or any one else runs their equipment. It is after all your/theirs to use and abuse as they see fit. Every ones comfort levels are different and for as many different reasons.

That said, my back ground in racing and building cool :poop: has taught me to take the absolute best care of anything that I may abuse so that I can abuse it just that much longer as it's duty cycle wears down.
    Keep it/them clean and lubed up at the ready. Always.

I guess my best analogy (and this is just me) why buy a supercharged Camaro and run crap gas in it that you know danged well is going to hurt it regardless.

And again........Thats just me....:):

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Why the hell would you put eggs on a hotdog?

6e651eb57ed7d92e9d3478d81fe4e420.jpg

If you have to ask, you wouldn’t understand.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    268   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Absolutely no argument from me on how you or any one else runs their equipment. It is after all your/theirs to use and abuse as they see fit. Every ones comfort levels are different and for as many different reasons.

That said, my back ground in racing and building cool :poop: has taught me to take the absolute best care of anything that I may abuse so that I can abuse it just that much longer as it's duty cycle wears down.
    Keep it/them clean and lubed up at the ready. Always.

I guess my best analogy (and this is just me) why buy a supercharged Camaro and run crap gas in it that you know danged well is going to hurt it regardless.

And again........Thats just me....:):
    Some of us want to run pump gas 87 octane. We don't all have an NHRA top fuel drag racer's mindset. Doesn't mean we're going to be the fastest or coolest, but we can still enjoy the drive.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Some of us want to run pump gas 87 octane. We don't all have an NHRA top fuel drag racer's mindset. Doesn't mean we're going to be the fastest or coolest, but we can still enjoy the drive.
    Then run it.....no worries....:)

Lots of rungs on the ladder. Lots of feet to fill them.
    I really like that many want to train and be all they can be with any endeavor they choose to invest in.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I'd go for it save the syrup. Eggs and syrup don't belong on the same plate. Ever.

I did ketchup on scrambled when I was young. My brother puts salsa on eggs because he's an idiot.
    I usually take mine with some franks. Id usually agree eggs dont belong with syrup but i used to think they didnt belong on a hot do either until i saw the picture... now im rethinking my entire life

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom