• ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Not advocating this, but I 'dun it...

When I was about 16, was driving my dads 5.2L Dakota back from Edinburgh to Columbus on US-31, not sure how fast I was going, because the speedometer stopped at 110 or 115 and it was BURIED... (that little truck could FLY) I was trying to set a record coming home for whatever reason...
    Came up BEHIND a sheriff, coasted down to the speed limit as he slowed and swung in behind me... I thought fast and started slightly swerving...
    He flipped his lights on, and pulled me over, like I knew he would. He asked if I knew how fast I was going, I told him I had no idea as I was headed to the pulloff down the road just north of Columbus (the little gravewayd in between 31 lanes, for those that know) because my contacts were giving me problems and I was more worried about looking at the road than the dashboard. He told me he didn't clock me behind him, but knew that I was FLYING, told me next time I have contact problems, pull over IMMEDIATELY and he gave me a verbal warning.
    Whew...

I was a lot more stupid when I was a lot more young...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    good advice

I've had one warning in the past 24 yrs and no tickets. Some luck and a lot of driving the speed limit. Bad part is the warning still cost me $300 because I lost the safety bonus at work for that fiscal quarter.

I learned early ,(if not quickly) to slow down. I had 12 points against my license from 16yrs old to 18yrs old and the last county cop that pulled me over in my 18th yr was shaking his head when he brought back my license and registration. No ticket. He said there was no point as I was going to defensive driving whether he wrote one or not.:dunno:

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I pulled over maybe 2 years ago, I was honest with the cop, I got a ticket....

...exactly a month later, he pulled me over again.....

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    hmmm... the whole honesty thing hasn't worked out for me too well in IN... in NY, I got a ticket for 10 over when he had me radared at 16 over... he asked if my speedometer was working, it wasn't, I said so, he came back with a ticket and let me on my way...

in indiana, I told the truth about not seeing any sign (there was one sign for a 4 mile stretch in heavy traffic in a low-slung car) and his responce was "its marked all up and down through here" so what I thought was 10 over became 20 over... :(

and then there's the mess in brownsbarf with the lying officer... I think some of you know about that, but not many. feel free to pm me. no love for the BPD here.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm usually honest and polite as long as the officer doesn't come up to my window freaking out on me yelling and screaming and stuff. Happened one time. Rather not post what was said. :dunno:

Some good posts though. :D

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    That I hadn't had my speedometer recalibrated yet, after I'd had a lift kit and much larger than stock tires installed on a 4wd pu. He gave me a warning. I think I was 12mph over.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I was heading to work after getting 3 hours worth of sleep from working 16s and was on my 2nd 20 oz coffee..

I had to pee....... BAD..

4 am me and nobody else on the road.

Speedway 2 miles ahead.

Speed limit 65mph

My speed 85mph

Fly past state trooper sitting in the median.

Pulled over before he ever turned on his lights.

He walks up to the truck, I asked him if he could PLEASE follow me to the Speedway as I hand him my DL and Reg.

He asks me "Are both of those coffee cups from this morning?"

YEP.

"Slow down and have a nice day."

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Truth has always worked for me both ways.

However, kicking the coke back under the seat and warning the hooker in the trunk to keep her mouth shut probably helped.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I have told this story on here before, so I will condense it..lol

Pulled over on my motorcycle years ago, FLYING low on 465. Officer asks:
    "Do you have any idea how fast you were going???"

I reply:
    "No Officer"

He asks:
    "Well why not??"

I reply:
    "Because my speedo only reads to 85"

He NEARLY cracked up as he turned and walked back to his car. He came back with a grin on his face. I got a warning, and while turning to leave he says:
    "By the way, the speedo on my Kawasaki only reads to 85 too!" :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    CALL ME OFFICER AND SIR AND TELL ME YOU KNEW YOU WERE SPEEDING AND DONT JERK ME AROUND...GETS THEM A WARNING EVERY TIME UNLESS THE SPEED WAS UNREASONABLE....IF I GET COMPLETE RESPECT THEN I PAY IT RIGHT BACK WITH ONLY A WARNING...
    You wouldn't believe how many times that has failed for me. Although I do have to admit that being completely honest did work good for me once. I got caught where the speed limit drops 20 mph and I wasn't paying attention, was doing 22 over and got a warning. I respectfully told the officer that I wasn't paying very close attention because my wife and I were going to look at houses and we were discussing some things and I didn't realize I was still going 52.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "I'm in a hurry to meet my friends; we're going downtown to watch the fireworks"

-Where are they?

*points at church parking lot* "Right over there...looking at us."

Written warning out of that one. Should've had a ticket. Made GREAT time coming from Bloomington to Greenwood, though.

-J-

Telling the truth works surprisingly well most of the time.

That's the beauty of my story...

I'd turned from 37N to head to my church. I wasn't going really fast for I was preparing for a turn onto a neighborhood street / church parking lot. He lit me up and I just kind of coasted into my church parking lot.

He asked me why i was in such a hurry... told him I was meeting a bunch of friends from church to go downtown.

He then asked me where my friends were...and I pointed to the large-ish group of people about 75 yards away, watching the whole thing.

Nice way to ingratiate myself with THAT group of people! hehe

IIRC, he was a Lt. with the Johnson County SD, working a holiday. He was driving an Explorer. I figured that he just didn't want to write me a ticket due to the extra paperwork needing done on a Holiday. Plus he was working a holiday. Plus I really was meeting "my church friends" at a church parking lot.

I still made it from the FAR south side of Bloomington to Greenwood in darned good time.

-J-

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    COP: Sir, do you have a gun in the vehicle?
    ME: Of course I do, Don't you?
    COP: Yes actually, what have you got?
    Then we talked guns for about 10 minutes and he said have a good evening.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I got pulled over while crossing a dam in Colorado. Something about homeland security. Anyway the cops asked the normal do yuo know why thing. I didn't have a clue. Apparently there was a 6 inch by 12 inch sign at the begining of the road that says weight limit 11,000 pounds. Didn't see it. I was in my companies truck which was an 2008 Volvo with a Kentucky Custom trailer. Got a $50 fine for being 63,000 pounds overweight, but the ticket was listed as "disregard of offical traffic device." Which when it transfers to Indiana is the same as running a red light. Then raised my personal insurance by $600 a year. 11 more months and it is off of my "record."

Then there was that discussion with the Canadian border guard that went something like this,
    Do you have any weapons?
    Me- No, but I do have a pocket kinfe.
    That is a weapon.
    Me- No, it's a tool. I don't go around stabbing people with it.
    Well I guess we need to reword our questions.
    Me- Yes we do.

That was after being jerked around at two different border crossing for the better part of 14 hours and not being able to get the paperwork to get my semi across the border. So I sat for 3 days waiting at the border to cross. Never did get across. Left the truck at a secure site and flew home. Ever since then I have been pulled in to additional screening by the Canadian Border Guards. Never fails so I expect it now.

dgiancola

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Lafayette area
    COP: Sir, do you have a gun in the vehicle?
    ME: Of course I do, Don't you?
    COP: Yes actually, what have you got?
    Then we talked guns for about 10 minutes and he said have a good evening.

haha classic! every no and again i stop a gun nut and unless they are a sig lover i usually write warnings...haha:)

Top Bottom