• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    The government paying $1200 a week is breaking the free market…
    Are people still actively receiving $1200/week?

This obviously leads down a road of a very different conversation...we've never actually had a free market. I know I'm not telling you anything you don't know, just where my thoughts took me.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Devil's advocate...people not taking those jobs is the free market at work. Granted, tree money has influenced things significantly, but maybe companies need to accept the fact that the days of the minimum wage worker are gone. If you can't pay what people are willing to work for and still make money, maybe the business model is broken.

I'm not saying I do or don't believe that, but I think it's a worthwhile conversation for someone smarter than me.

This is ridiculous. Numerous businesses rely on minimum wage jobs that can't do anything else. Those starting into the job market need somewhere to get experience. The only thing certain employers can do is reduce employees and automate, which reduces opportunities for those new to working and those retirees looking to supplement their retirement funds. The problem is that we have too many people using these positions as careers. Entry level is entry level. If you don't like your pay, move up or move out instead of b*tching about it.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    This is ridiculous. Numerous businesses rely on minimum wage jobs that can't do anything else. Those starting into the job market need somewhere to get experience. The only thing certain employers can do is reduce employees and automate, which reduces opportunities for those new to working and those retirees looking to supplement their retirement funds. The problem is that we have too many people using these positions as careers. Entry level is entry level. If you don't like your pay, move up or move out instead of b*tching about it.
    Could you survive on $7.25/hour?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Devil's advocate...people not taking those jobs is the free market at work. Granted, tree money has influenced things significantly, but maybe companies need to accept the fact that the days of the minimum wage worker are gone. If you can't pay what people are willing to work for and still make money, maybe the business model is broken.

I'm not saying I do or don't believe that, but I think it's a worthwhile conversation for someone smarter than me.
    I think it has more to do with unrealistic expectations of zoomers and the younger Millennials. A lot of places close because they can’t pay what workers want. You run a low margin business labor costs could run you out. You want to talk about nuance, this isn’t explained just by the free market. It ain’t free anyway.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Scrapped Door Dash after they kept taking orders, canceling 30 minutes later, blaming the restaurants, restaurants then tell me DD canceled their side too.
    I agree...**** door dash. I'm just enjoying the conversation and playing devil's advocate to hear people's perspective.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I agree
    I think it has more to do with unrealistic expectations of zoomers and the younger Millennials. A lot of places close because they can’t pay what workers want. You run a low margin business labor costs could run you out. You want to talk about nuance, this isn’t explained just by the free market. It ain’t free anyway.
    Agree with most or all. I mentioned exactly what you did about the "free" market. Labor is far and a way the biggest line item each year where I'm at. Takes nearly all the meat off the bone.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    **** a lotta that. It's worth a minimum wage plus tips. Period.
    I mean it clearly isn't if they can't find someone. I realize a given position is only worth so much, but if no one wants it at that pay rate what are you going to do.

You can hoot and holler about people getting back to work and Gen Z all you want but it doesn't fix the labor issue. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it isn't going to change anytime soon.

maxipum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 6, 2012
    Bloomington
    That's fine.... I'm just saying they were far from alone. I'm not defending or knocking anything about it, just that I can understand how the decision was made. Can't very well go back and change it now.
    All very true. One thing I hope people take away from this nightmare is the ability at least in the short term is to recognize this the next time tptb try this ****. Unfortunately people generally have very short memories in that regard.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I mean it clearly isn't if they can't find someone. I realize a given position is only worth so much, but if no one wants it at that pay rate what are you going to do.

You can hoot and holler about people getting back to work and Gen Z all you want but it doesn't fix the labor issue. I'm not saying I disagree with you, but it isn't going to change anytime soon.
    They could prove that they're worth a higher pay rate. That's what I (as a minimum wage worker early in my working career) had to do. That's the problem. People want to start out at the top. That's not how the real world works.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They could prove that they're worth a higher pay rate. That's what I (as a minimum wage worker early in my working career) had to do. That's the problem. People want to start out at the top. That's not how the real world works.
    This is a direct result of what the "nobody loses, everybody gets a trophy" BS has done. People don't think they have to put in any effort. They should just be rewarded "because"! Change my mind.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    There are very few entry level minimum wage jobs with room for growth in today's world. I don't know your age, but I wonder also if you're factoring in inflation and general increase in cost of living. Prices increased at a rate significantly higher than wages.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    You're for sure spot on about shipping....that's the biggest issue I'm seeing right now with drug shortages. The drugs are out there, just in the wrong place and companies can't efficiently get them to the right place.

As for treatments it is totally useless for you and I to talk about it man. I'll cite some studies about why you're wrong, you'll cite some about why I'm wrong, then we will talk about why our sources are valid and the other person's aren't. I'm not telling you I think the government has done a great job...I'm telling you that people on the front lines are doing everything that they are able to do.

Do I think ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine help people with COVID? Not really. Do I think people should have access to it if they can find a doctor to prescribe it. Sure. I may or may not personally know some pharmacists/pharmacies working closely with some providers to get people access to it.

Do I think the various vitamins and supplements protect against covid? In a sense. I think if you're already "below baseline" and start supplementing with them then you are much better off than you were without.

Then the conversation inevitably turns to hospitals not allowing doctors to prescribe it or for it to be administered in their facility. That's an extremely nuanced issue to me and the conversation can go in so many different directions.

I'll admit, I knew jerked a but when it felt that people were saying the whole of healthcare workers don't care about people dying. I also struggle when people (and this is not towards anyone in particular) downplay the severity of covid, then bitch that the system doesn't care about people with COVID and sends them home to die. That feels like playing both sides of the ball to me. I'm not mad at anyone and I'm not afraid of tough conversations, but I'm so exhausted from the last two years and just tired of talking about it when most people aren't going to be open to a different view point.

I'm sincerely sorry if I've offended anyone or said something that came off in a way unbecoming. I'm tired of being part of the divisiveness in America.

That post was longer than I'd intended.
    I’ve always thought frontline workers were doing everything in their power. I know several nurses that have been busting ass for 2 years and every one of them is frustrated.

I have no opinion on the supposed miracle drugs that became political. I’ve never posted one way or another so your assumption on what I would say, well you know what assuming does. What I AM upset about is the ACTUAL treatment that should have been suggested. The information that patients should have been give but were not. Simple things like staying hydrated, moving every few hours to keep your body functioning. Even just adding helpful vitamins that you may not normally take. Those cost nothing to discuss. Those could have saved thousands.

From the beginning it was mishandled from the top down. When they made it political everyone suffered.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are very few entry level minimum wage jobs with room for growth in today's world. I don't know your age, but I wonder also if you're factoring in inflation and general increase in cost of living. Prices increased at a rate significantly higher than wages.
    BS. I'm 62 years old. Suck it up buttercups. Minimum wage was $2.35 an hour when I entered the work force. You don't want to make minimum wage? Do something to make yourself more valuable. Either through more education, or through working harder and improving your value to your employer.

Top Bottom