• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Hey! By jove you finally got it! Yer getting nuance! Congratulations!

Indeed exceptions disprove the rule but not the stereotype. Take the statement, “Religions are about killing dissenters”. As a rule, a valid counterexample disproves the rule. Stereotypes, on the other hand, are built from observations about tendencies.

An anecdotal case of a handful of religions that have overridden the human tendency to kill dissenters does not disprove the stereotype if the stereotype still represents the majority of religions. The thing that would disprove the stereotype is most religions not killing off dissenters. And that’s the case now. Of the most common religions today, most no longer advocate killing people. That sterotype is outdated. Christians no longer kill “heretics”.
    Nuance is continuous, I'm discrete

1 and 0 are compact and easy to work with, all that other junk between them is just clutter

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    At this point I’d rather the treatment than the prophylaxis. How many boosters is too many?
    By the time they figure this out, it'll be too late.
    I started posting on this site last summer. That's one angle I'd bring up. How many boosters will you take due to fear, coercion, stupidity, etc.? There's no end to medical industrialization until you say No. To me it's mind boggling how it got to this point.

I wake up and enjoy my life every day knowing I've done my best to make good decisions based on wisdom and cognitive thinking abilities. Then I think about family and friends, some quite intelligent, who haven't used those items...and I really do worry how it will turn out. 2022 will be a year of finding out a lot of hidden ugly truths.

Two years of attempting to take away your inalienable rights is creating a predictable gigantic backlash against the Evil Cabal. It's starting to play out now and people are awakening and seeing the freedoms they've lost. Is it wrong to want to see the tyrants crushed for what they've done to the people, particularly the children?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    That is not what I said. I replied to religion having a limit in its hatred asking what is a step up from wanting to kill everyone that does not believe like you. Talking about limits is not the same as saying every religious person believes that.

Are you denying that religions have done that? History is full of examples of religion after religion doing just that.

I often am amazed that humanity has managed to thrive with our propensity for killing each.
    Act stated everyone or almost have a desire to fill hole we perceive in us; hence religion was brought up;
    Bobzilla replied even religions have limits to their hate, and it sounded like you were arguing with that, that they don’t have limits to their hate.
    This explains how I took your statement, apparently I’m missing what you’re asking about in the “step up from” part.

Not denying people have killed people, and religion is sometimes the reason and probably sometimes just takes the blame, as an easy explanation, a cover for greed, etc. Misguided theology by man should not be blamed on a deity, or even a whole class of people seeking to fill said void.

I’ve said for a long time, people are like baby pigs, they’re much more resilient than what you might give them credit for at first glance.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Nuance is continuous, I'm discrete

1 and 0 are compact and easy to work with, all that other junk between them is just clutter
    The world isn't binary. But anyway, there is some utility in binary thinking. Sometimes you end up being correct, or rather correct enough. Sometimes you miss the truth mistaking it for junk in between.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Act stated everyone or almost have a desire to fill hole we perceive in us; hence religion was brought up;
    Bobzilla replied even religions have limits to their hate, and it sounded like you were arguing with that, that they don’t have limits to their hate.
    This explains how I took your statement, apparently I’m missing what you’re asking about in the “step up from” part.

Not denying people have killed people, and religion is sometimes the reason and probably sometimes just takes the blame, as an easy explanation, a cover for greed, etc. Misguided theology by man should not be blamed on a deity, or even a whole class of people seeking to fill said void.

I’ve said for a long time, people are like baby pigs, they’re much more resilient than what you might give them credit for at first glance.
    About that religions have killed people, I really don't blame the religions. Distrusting the "other" is an instinct. Killing the "other" is instinct. We learn to override many of those instincts that are no longer needed for survival. Selecting for group bias gives people an advantage in survival in the group. That's why people are so groupish, I think.

Point is, it's not the religions' fault that people have these instincts. Religeous people in times past didn't kill people because of their religion. Not directly. The people who aren't religious, or at least claim not to be, have the same instincts. And we've seen that when non-religious people gain power over their in-group they're just as murderous towards the outgroup as any religion. In the age of human understanding, religion is sometimes the excuse bad people make for killing outsiders who are a threat to their power or their way of life.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well. If Remdesivir actually cured more than it harmed... That **** is expensive!

$3k per use, used over 5 days I believe. For something that has a very poor track record for doing any good for COVID. Proves what I said. Hydroxy/ivermectin with vitamins and such are much more effective and cheap.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

With Omicron, it changes the conversation completely. We can't vaccinate our way out of this. Like the Dr from Africa said, Omicron is the vaccine humans couldn't make. Not that people should seek catching it. It still kills people.

But, it's far less pathogenic. And everyone's gonna get it. And the immunity you get from it if you do get it is superior to immunity from the vaccine. So policy needs to catch up with reality. Notice I didn't say "the science" because that's just become a pithy phrase which now means political orthodoxy. **** that kind of "science". Policy should be, let 'er rip, but protect the vulnerable.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    About that religions have killed people, I really don't blame the religions. Distrusting the "other" is an instinct. Killing the "other" is instinct. We learn to override many of those instincts that are no longer needed for survival. Selecting for group bias gives people an advantage in survival in the group. That's why people are so groupish, I think.

Point is, it's not the religions' fault that people have these instincts. Religeous people in times past didn't kill people because of their religion. Not directly. The people who aren't religious, or at least claim not to be, have the same instincts. And we've seen that when non-religious people gain power over their in-group they're just as murderous towards the outgroup as any religion. In the age of human understanding, religion is sometimes the excuse bad people make for killing outsiders who are a threat to their power or their way of life.
    ^what I tried to explain in my middle paragraph. I just said it too nuancededly.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Top Bottom