• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...This was a stranded drug developed for ebola treatment...

It was originally developed for Hep-C, but it didn't work well. But because it does some antiviral things, they parade it out for whatever the sexy virus of the day is. It's a drug in search of a disease.

It doesn't have to work well, it just has to work a little better than nothing.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It was originally developed for Hep-C, but it didn't work well. But because it does some antiviral things, they parade it out for whatever the sexy virus of the day is. It's a drug in search of a disease.

It doesn't have to work well, it just has to work a little better than nothing.

Indeed, it doesn't seem to even be as efficacious as dexamethasone and costs 400x as much. The cynic in me wonders how much of the cost recovery is for expenses related to getting the blessing of TPTB as an approved treatment

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Indeed, it doesn't seem to even be as efficacious as dexamethasone and costs 400x as much. The cynic in me wonders how much of the cost recovery is for expenses related to getting the blessing of TPTB as an approved treatment

Part of that is because dexamethasone is an OSD (oral solid dosage) drug product, and OSDs are far cheaper to manufacture than lyophilized parenterals.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Part of that is because dexamethasone is an OSD (oral solid dosage) drug product, and OSDs are far cheaper to manufacture than lyophilized parenterals.

Yeah, the dilithium crystals get burnt up and then you have to go back in time to build a glove to bring half of all life back and you just can't put a price on that.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Remdesivir is a very expensive way to do damn near nothing, probably no better than taking Prilosec.

The bottom line is it is not the answer to the chinese virus.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Hrm... I suspect these sick covid patients are receiving decadron IV instead of oral. I bet it's still dirt cheap. Been around a long time. We give the IV/IM version orally to kids rather than an injection

I haven't looked at the dosage use, but if it's 4mg three times a day you're likely looking at a dollar a day of drug cost for IV. Administration cost will far exceed medication cost.

https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/dexamethasone

The important thing is we do SOMETHING, even if it is minimally effective and very expensive.

Something worth looking at is the NNT website. Number needed to treat. How many people need to undergo a therapy to obtain a desired outcome for someone? Look at statins for prevention of heart attack/stroke in patients without known CAD. If you treated people for five years, you had to treat 104 people to stop ONE from having a non-fatal heart attack. There is no mortality benefit at five years. Treating 154 patients for five years will stop one person from having a stroke (if no known CAD). However, 1 in 10 will develop muscle injury and 1 in 50 will develop diabetes.

https://www.thennt.com/nnt/statins-for-heart-disease-prevention-without-prior-heart-disease-2/

https://www.thennt.com/home-nnt/

If you have known CAD, in 5 years of therapy it takes 83 patients to be treated to save one life. 39 patients to prevent one heart attack. And 125 patients to prevent one stroke. Statin treatment cost can easily be $1000/year. So without CAD, $504,000 spent to stop one non-fatal heart attack, 10 people will get muscle injury from the med and two will get diabetes.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    The unit my wife works on went full last night, not from corona. If they have any corona patients, it is very few (less then five). They went full from general medical cases. She's lucky to get home by 9am most mornings because they can't staff correctly (each nurse has at least 5 normally when full).

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Hrm... I suspect these sick covid patients are receiving decadron IV instead of oral. I bet it's still dirt cheap. Been around a long time. We give the IV/IM version orally to kids rather than an injection

I haven't looked at the dosage use, but if it's 4mg three times a day you're likely looking at a dollar a day of drug cost for IV. Administration cost will far exceed medication cost.

https://www.drugs.com/price-guide/dexamethasone

The important thing is we do SOMETHING, even if it is minimally effective and very expensive.

Something worth looking at is the NNT website. Number needed to treat. How many people need to undergo a therapy to obtain a desired outcome for someone? Look at statins for prevention of heart attack/stroke in patients without known CAD. If you treated people for five years, you had to treat 104 people to stop ONE from having a non-fatal heart attack. There is no mortality benefit at five years. Treating 154 patients for five years will stop one person from having a stroke (if no known CAD). However, 1 in 10 will develop muscle injury and 1 in 50 will develop diabetes.

https://www.thennt.com/nnt/statins-for-heart-disease-prevention-without-prior-heart-disease-2/

https://www.thennt.com/home-nnt/

If you have known CAD, in 5 years of therapy it takes 83 patients to be treated to save one life. 39 patients to prevent one heart attack. And 125 patients to prevent one stroke. Statin treatment cost can easily be $1000/year. So without CAD, $504,000 spent to stop one non-fatal heart attack, 10 people will get muscle injury from the med and two will get diabetes.

That is pretty depressing that there are no better treatment options available.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

336XCIKKB5HFLODDSO36PXXA3M.JPG

Pay no attention to the fact that the secretary of health isn't following her own recommendation. :rolleyes: Unless of course wearing a mask around your neck counts as "wearing a mask".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom