24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The police in some countries are testing, buying or already using high-tech chinese helmets that can measure other people's temperature so they can pick out people that have a fever.

That doesn't sound very effective since many people can be symptom-free with no fever and still be spreading the chinese virus.

https://activistmommy.com/police-ar...9-fevers/?mc_cid=6702977f20&mc_eid=8c542f480d

They put a flir lepton module in a bicycle helmet, lol. It's the flir module that comes in those $150 cell phone thermal imaging addons.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I know I sometimes get hung up on small stuff, but small stuff can tell you a lot about how someone handles big stuff.

For me, "experts" misusing words is one of those little things that really undercuts any credibility they may have.

Professor Davey Jones of Bangor University, who led a research project into the spread of COVID-19, pointed to the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which fumbled its response as the coronavirus spread through the vessel, infecting around 700 people and killing eight.

“At least 25% of the [ship’s] population had no symptoms whatsoever, so clearly they’re not running a temperature,” he said. “So you end up missing a huge percentage of these people and they are still shedding the virus.”

Everyone has a temperature. The word you're looking for is "fever" professor.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Indiana State parks announced that all public pools won't open this year. Beaches will, though. The Vigo County Fair Association announced that on top of the 4H portion being "virtual", there will be no carnival, only three days. In those three days, there will be a truck and tractor pull, country music concert (Dylan Schnieder) and World of Outlaws race. This summer is turning into a crap fest for almost no reason (yes the virus is real, I just don't think it is as terrible as others and the government make it out to be).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Indiana State parks announced that all public pools won't open this year. Beaches will, though. The Vigo County Fair Association announced that on top of the 4H portion being "virtual", there will be no carnival, only three days. In those three days, there will be a truck and tractor pull, country music concert (Dylan Schnieder) and World of Outlaws race. This summer is turning into a crap fest for almost no reason (yes the virus is real, I just don't think it is as terrible as others and the government make it out to be).

I think we've gotten into a condition where no official wants to stay too far out of the lines that's been set. Over-cautionism is breeding over-cautionism.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know I sometimes get hung up on small stuff, but small stuff can tell you a lot about how someone handles big stuff.

For me, "experts" misusing words is one of those little things that really undercuts any credibility they may have.

Well, if you really want to get anal about it (and I do)... you don't "run" a fever. You "have" a fever. :p

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

"Running a temperature" is common vernacular for having a fever. I guess someone may have never heard the expression, depending on where they are from. I have heard it quite often growing up in Indiana.

It is definitely not something that undermines any credibility, unless you've got an axe to grind.

Note: Does not refer to an actual axe. :)

temp.jpg

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/running-a-temperature

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I agree to that (in terms of being over cautious). That is proper reacting and over reacting. The big problem is now Vigo County has almost doubled numbers in three weeks (we have 150 cases now). Of course, they are all active because the local health department doesn't feel the need to test older cases to see if they are clear if they didn't pass away. Even at 150, that is .05% of the population in confirmed cases. Is there more, definitely. Should we take precautions to a degree, yes. Should we just shut down everything in the name of public safety, no as there isn't a dangerous aspect of that here right now. I know a local mental health hospital had a recent outbreak. What I want to know is is there any big outbreaks like that connected to a certain place (like the mental hospital, nursing home, etc).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The police in some countries are testing, buying or already using high-tech chinese helmets that can measure other people's temperature so they can pick out people that have a fever.

That doesn't sound very effective since many people can be symptom-free with no fever and still be spreading the chinese virus.

https://activistmommy.com/police-ar...9-fevers/?mc_cid=6702977f20&mc_eid=8c542f480d

If you get a virus, but it doesn't do you any harm, is it really that bad?

I suppose if you give it to grandma... but still...

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I agree to that (in terms of being over cautious). That is proper reacting and over reacting. The big problem is now Vigo County has almost doubled numbers in three weeks (we have 150 cases now). Of course, they are all active because the local health department doesn't feel the need to test older cases to see if they are clear if they didn't pass away. Even at 150, that is .05% of the population in confirmed cases. Is there more, definitely. Should we take precautions to a degree, yes. Should we just shut down everything in the name of public safety, no as there isn't a dangerous aspect of that here right now. I know a local mental health hospital had a recent outbreak. What I want to know is is there any big outbreaks like that connected to a certain place (like the mental hospital, nursing home, etc).

It looks like Allen Co. has about 30 new cases per day.but, we're also testing more people now than ever. 6.5% of the cases result in death. But, 13.5% with no symptoms. They don't break down the deaths by age group, but if it follows the trend, 80% are 65 and older.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If you get a virus, but it doesn't do you any harm, is it really that bad?

I suppose if you give it to grandma... but still...

No, if you get a virus and it does you no harm, that is not bad at all, in fact it happens all the time with lots of different viruses. However with this chinese virus approximately 1 in 20 people that get tested for it and turn out positive will die, that is considered bad for them.

This ratio would go down a lot if they tested more but the way they are running it this is the way it is. Of course it is even worse for old vulnerable people, like maybe 1 in 10 of them will die. That is part of why they do not want to get it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Purdue, which sanctions 4-H, has released guidelines for 4-H fairs that are quite onerous. One example- they have to be able to identify every person on the fair grounds during 4-H events, presumably for contact tracing in case of an outbreak. In light of that, one by one, the counties have been canceling their fairs (when run by 4-H) and the 4-H portions of the fair where 4-H does not run the fair (like here in Porter County).

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No, if you get a virus and it does you no harm, that is not bad at all, in fact it happens all the time with lots of different viruses. However with this chinese virus approximately 1 in 20 people that get tested for it and turn out positive will die, that is considered bad for them.

This ratio would go down a lot if they tested more but the way they are running it this is the way it is. Of course it is even worse for old vulnerable people, like maybe 1 in 10 of them will die. That is part of why they do not want to get it.

Or more like 3 out of 10.

It's late, math skills going away... but I get your point.

It just feels like summer can't get here soon enough. (I never thought I'd utter that phrase after graduating)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    "Running a temperature" is common vernacular for having a fever. I guess someone may have never heard the expression, depending on where they are from. I have heard it quite often growing up in Indiana.

It is definitely not something that undermines any credibility, unless you've got an axe to grind.

Note: Does not refer to an actual axe. :)

temp.jpg

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/running-a-temperature

I understand what it means. It's still wrong.

I expect science dorks touted as experts to use proper words. I don't think that's too much to ask.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom