Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    But running an engine that the tach says could blow is? :D

A year ago, if a factory had a flu outbreak that takes out a significant portion of the workforce, it would be shut down.

Same goes for this, eh?

So I listened to the engine, common sense said it was idling along, did a couple of checks to confirm that, went about my business.

So I looked around and found we had a respiratory disease, common sense said it wasn't killing people right and left and I saw few even sick, went about my business?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So I listened to the engine, common sense said it was idling along, did a couple of checks to confirm that, went about my business.

So I looked around and found we had a respiratory disease, common sense said it wasn't killing people right and left and I saw few even sick, went about my business?
    So I'm not sure what we're arguing about.

The .gov mask mandate is a bad idea. (Which is separate from whether masks are a good idea.) Statewide (let alone nationwide) shutdowns are a bad idea. I'd say even county/school-district wide shutdowns are a bad idea, unless all the schools in a district are suffering outbreaks. (That's even assuming that children-carriers of this coronavirus can asymptomatically infect adults - which would be expected for normal viruses, but the transmission of this particular one is eluding that kind of conclusion IMHO.)

I've never (to my knowledge) known anyone to die from syphilis. But, I do believe it exists and I've done my darndest to avoid getting it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It kinda was killing people right and left in places all around the world at first. It does not seem thats so true anymore. I think there’s a difference between some of the reactions then vs now. It was panic then. Go back and read the first coronavirus thread. There was FUD on both sides.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    It kinda was killing people right and left in places all around the world at first. It does not seem thats so true anymore. I think there’s a difference between some of the reactions then vs now. It was panic then. Go back and read the first coronavirus thread. There was FUD on both sides.

It's killed approx 150K Americans in a few months. It's caused some chronic disease and other damage (I don't know if those are significant numbers or not). I would say some have become numb to that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It's killed approx 150K Americans in a few months. It's caused some chronic disease and other damage (I don't know if those are significant numbers or not). I would say some have become numb to that.

Besides the often discussed political differences and risk management styles, there is a big gulf between those who have accepted the new reality that has been dumped on us and those still trying to live in the pre wu-who-flu era. Wherever it came from, it is the new reality and we can never go back. Therefore the numbers of deaths associated with it must become normalized to move on with life. Much like death from car accidents and many other sources are thought tragic, but not enough to impose 5 mph speed limit to save those lives. Not callous at all to be able to objectively say this and cry at the funeral of a loved one or friend lost by this scourge that has been unleashed on us...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Besides the often discussed political differences and risk management styles, there is a big gulf between those who have accepted the new reality that has been dumped on us and those still trying to live in the pre wu-who-flu era. Wherever it came from, it is the new reality and we can never go back. Therefore the numbers of deaths associated with it must become normalized to move on with life. Much like death from car accidents and many other sources are thought tragic, but not enough to impose 5 mph speed limit to save those lives. Not callous at all to be able to objectively say this and cry at the funeral of a loved one or friend lost by this scourge that has been unleashed on us...

That is a rational approach - although not the only rational approach.

If alien snipers were using zero point energy weapons from across the solar system to randomly kill people on Earth, we would work to figure out some defense technology, accept that some people would die, and avoid being in places that made us vulnerable to the aliens (as best we could figure that out).

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Besides the often discussed political differences and risk management styles, there is a big gulf between those who have accepted the new reality that has been dumped on us and those still trying to live in the pre wu-who-flu era. Wherever it came from, it is the new reality and we can never go back. Therefore the numbers of deaths associated with it must become normalized to move on with life.

Another angle on this is that some people cannot adjust to change, ironically even some who supposedly prepared for a pandemic. They are bored with it, over it, etc so taking appropriate action is too difficult for them.

Much like death from car accidents and many other sources are thought tragic, but not enough to impose 5 mph speed limit to save those lives. Not callous at all to be able to objectively say this and cry at the funeral of a loved one or friend lost by this scourge that has been unleashed on us...
    It's always fair to ask what we should be addressing, or conversely if certain safety measures have too high a cost to society in various ways. Driving has become far safer and it's something frequently addressed. I can't think of any of the other leading causes of death that aren't met with sincere effort by society. The increase in obesity and obesity-associated disease isn't something we've done very well at, but we certainly put the information out there and then it becomes somewhat up to the individual. An infectious disease epidemic is not a circumstance where each person reeps what they sow.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD

What are you talking about? New reality, unleashed, scourge lol. So we are going to wear masks, social distance and keep the world shut down for the rest of our lives?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    What are you talking about? New reality, unleashed, scourge lol. So we are going to wear masks, social distance and keep the world shut down for the rest of our lives?

Well, to some degree, probably. I think handshakes will go the way of the fedora, buggy whips, and stationery. You'll see it every once in awhile, but it won't be as common as it used to be.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Well, outside of a very few places, the "world" isn't shut down now. Indiana certainly isn't. We are feeling our way toward normalizing life even while the disease spreads.

...and if anyone thinks that most leaders, in Indiana and like places are least, are not DESPERATELY trying to NOT have another shutdown, well, they just aren't paying attention.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Well, to some degree, probably. I think handshakes will go the way of the fedora, buggy whips, and stationery. You'll see it every once in awhile, but it won't be as common as it used to be.

And that will be a loss to society. There is an electric energy that is exchanged via handshakes that is purely subconscious.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    And that will be a loss to society. There is an electric energy that is exchanged via handshakes that is purely subconscious.

giphy.gif

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

I ain't shakin' hands with this kid! Besides electricity exchange...there's also E.Coli from all those folks that don't wash their hands after using the latrine.

TduCarTheftPreventionRedLight1000.jpg

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

We can take it farther, if you wish. Studies have found that Couples that sleep nude together are mentally closer as well and more sympatico with each other. It is believed to be from the electric exchange in the night while sleeping.

The wearing of shoes all the time has eliminated our electrical connection to the earth itself. They were selling grounding mats for big money to the executive class to put under their desk top simulate the earth grounding. Everything on earth has an electric charge...

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The universe is made of energy almost exclusively. A proton gets about 2% of it's mass from quarks. The remainder is generated kinetic and potential energy from the quarks spinning at almost C.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Now dang-it, Doggy Daddy assured me this was to create herd immunity and that it made us healthier and stronger. Which is it?

Rubbing poop on your face from a handshake is not effective herd-immunity protocol.

Although there is a tribe in Angola that fashions a pretty mean cowdung hat to keep the flies away from one's eyes.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    We can take it farther, if you wish. Studies have found that Couples that sleep nude together are mentally closer as well and more sympatico with each other. It is believed to be from the electric exchange in the night while sleeping.

The wearing of shoes all the time has eliminated our electrical connection to the earth itself. They were selling grounding mats for big money to the executive class to put under their desk top simulate the earth grounding. Everything on earth has an electric charge...

hqdefault.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom