• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    More hand sanitizers added to a "toxic" list by the FDA (now over 100). Including one I'm using. :xmad: Apparently, in the rush to expand hand sanitizer supplies, a number of manufacturers decided to use methanol rather than ethanol.

More hand sanitizers recalled as possibly ‘toxic.’ One is sold at Publix and Kroger

FDA List of toxic/recalled hand sanitizers

huh. lax screening has led to problems as we mass produce crap in an insane response? I predicted this three months ago

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    is it? or are we testing wider?

I think it's that and those getting sick now are the young who really aren't at serious risk from this. they're judt out living their life and trying to make a living.

Well, yeah, as usual, my statement relates to "as reported" :) which isn't necessarily "real" (whatever that is).

My concern is that for awhile we were testing anyone who wanted, but we seem to be shifting toward testing only those who are symptomatic. That will mean a skewed result toward the infected and sick.

johny5

not a shill account
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Well, yeah, as usual, my statement relates to "as reported" :) which isn't necessarily "real" (whatever that is).

My concern is that for awhile we were testing anyone who wanted, but we seem to be shifting toward testing only those who are symptomatic. That will mean a skewed result toward the infected and sick.

Yep - it is the 'self-selection' problem.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    But wait... I thought kids don't get it???:runaway:

Nebraska boy, 6, dies after diagnosed with coronavirus, report

Oh... I see...

A 6-year-old Nebraska boy who had been battling the coronavirus and previously received a triple organ transplant, has died, according to a report on Monday.

:rolleyes:

I'm deeply sorry for the loss of their child, but the kid was likely on enough immunosuppressants to reduce his immune system to near ZERO. Any bug the kid caught could have the potential to kill him.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Oh... I see...

I'm deeply sorry for the loss of their child, but the kid was likely on enough immunosuppressants to reduce his immune system to near ZERO. Any bug the kid caught could have the potential to kill him.

Sshhhh with your facts!!!

We must make the people fffffeeeeeeaaaarrrrr the cvirus at all cost. See even a 6 year old is not safe. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!! :faint:

Just like the guy in FL that died in a car accident but he had the cvirus so he was counted as died to due cvirus

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

Oh... I see...

Personally, if people are prone to send their kids to public schools, I see no reason to let the virus stop them.

The caveat is that if you make that choice, you should also make the choice to keep you and your kids away from people with conditions that make them vulnerable to death from this thing.

...but the rest of us living life while taking a few reasonable precautions while the vulnerable stay protected is what I've advocated since March, so no change there.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    kids die of the flu and they die of COVID.

if i had a tiny baby i'd rather they got COVID. I think it's over 20 is where risk worse for covid than flu

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Under the heading of "Unintended Consequences"... this was posted on FB by an ER Doc that one of my cousins works with.

The acuity I’m seeing lately in the ER is some of the highest I have ever seen in my 27 years of doing this job and I’m not talking about covid. Sepsis, metastatic cancer, congestive heart failure, trauma, seizures, diabetes out of control, renal failure, and stroke after stroke, pulmonary embolisms, and on and on. I don’t think I’m alone in this. I think it’s a direct result of the shutdown. People are not getting normal checkups, they are not refilling their medications. They are missing follow up appointments, they are afraid of going to the hospital. Please come in. Don’t wait, we will help you get your meds, get you follow up, we have social services and case management. The ER docs of America are here. We are still working. You do know one of the joys of medicine is telling you that everything is ok? Let us do our jobs...come in and let us check you out.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Under the heading of "Unintended Consequences"... this was posted on FB by an ER Doc that one of my cousins works with.

The acuity I’m seeing lately in the ER is some of the highest I have ever seen in my 27 years of doing this job and I’m not talking about covid. Sepsis, metastatic cancer, congestive heart failure, trauma, seizures, diabetes out of control, renal failure, and stroke after stroke, pulmonary embolisms, and on and on. I don’t think I’m alone in this. I think it’s a direct result of the shutdown. People are not getting normal checkups, they are not refilling their medications. They are missing follow up appointments, they are afraid of going to the hospital. Please come in. Don’t wait, we will help you get your meds, get you follow up, we have social services and case management. The ER docs of America are here. We are still working. You do know one of the joys of medicine is telling you that everything is ok? Let us do our jobs...come in and let us check you out.

but all of that doesn't pay as good as the Wuhan Virus....

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The media is determined to sell the PANDEMIC despite the facts.
    Fox59 anchor said last night that Indy has (present tense) 15,000 cases. Indy has counted 15,000 cases since this started but most of those have since recovered. Worldmeter says Indiana has 19,000 active cases and ISDH doesn't post active cases, only totals.
    I assumed the Fox anchor's statement was a slip of the tongue until another Fox reporter repeated it this morning.
    Then Fox59 had Indy Star sports reporter interview to discuss no fans at 500. He went full blown BS saying Indiana has "nightmare epidemic with more deaths than some countries". Huh? We're having 5-10 deaths per day since June.
    Media and medical communities have teamed up to sell that panic.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

Thank-you for that bit of perspective from a working Doc in the trenches and not a talking head in the media. :thumbsup:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Sssshhhhh
    The cvirus is going as planned, population control and cleaning up all the sick.

:faint:

FFFFEEEEEEAAAAARRRRR at this point is what is killing us. Not the c-virus.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What about those of us who believe the numbers are inaccurate, but the only numbers we are being offered?

I guess that makes us Libertarian? Or libertarian?

I have a tach on a vehicle that is erratic, started the engine and at idle it was showing 6200 RPM, which is blow up territory for that particular engine.

So I:

1) Shut the engine down and did not use it because I didn't want to blow it up?

OR

2) Checked oil pressure and used it?

Of course I used it. It would have been ridiculous not to. Just as its ridiculous to shut down an economy over this. The dashboard gauges are not right but they still use them to make decisions. In the past, common sense was valued over data and emotion! This may just be the first major event that data, even known faulty data because it is all they have, and emotion are valued over common sense.

You love and are so addicted to the numbers you just have to use them even if you know they are wrong...

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I have a tach on a vehicle that is erratic, started the engine and at idle it was showing 6200 RPM, which is blow up territory for that particular engine.

So I:

1) Shut the engine down and did not use it because I didn't want to blow it up?

OR

2) Checked oil pressure and used it?

Of course I used it. It would have been ridiculous not to. Just as its ridiculous to shut down an economy over this. The dashboard gauges are not right but they still use them to make decisions. In the past, common sense was valued over data and emotion! This may just be the first major event that data, even known faulty data because it is all they have, and emotion are valued over common sense.

You love and are so addicted to the numbers you just have to use them even if you know they are wrong...

Interesting. It isn't whether I love or am addicted to the numbers, its just that they are the only numbers available. (And, hysterically, I am very much NOT a numbers guy.) To me, "data" and "emotion" are very different.

I do value numbers, though. They tend to be objective. Metrics allow for us to be intentional about prioritization. You used measurements to confirm that the numbers on the tach weren't right. (And, BTW, you did pay attention to the tach, even though you knew it was wrong.)

I also think you're mistaken about how I look at numbers: I'm not in favor of - and didn't advocate for - any mass shutdowns. We have the testing ability now to target places that may need to shut down. That's common sense.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Interesting. It isn't whether I love or am addicted to the numbers, its just that they are the only numbers available. (And, hysterically, I am very much NOT a numbers guy.) To me, "data" and "emotion" are very different.

I do value numbers, though. They tend to be objective. Metrics allow for us to be intentional about prioritization. You used measurements to confirm that the numbers on the tach weren't right. (And, BTW, you did pay attention to the tach, even though you knew it was wrong.)

I also think you're mistaken about how I look at numbers: I'm not in favor of - and didn't advocate for - any mass shutdowns. We have the testing ability now to target places that may need to shut down. That's common sense.
    I propose we ban the term “common sense” as it no longer has any practical objective meaning. You can say that makes sense to you, and it may be a sense common to many people, but it’s not common enough, and it’s not necessarily objective sense. If tests were accurate, and the consequences of covid were objectively worse than the mitigation and shutting things down in a targeted way were the only way of mitigation, then I think that would make more objective sense and that kind of sense would be more common. But those factors are more a matter of belief, upon which the sensibility rests. So no. What you’re saying is not common sense.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I propose we ban the term “common sense” as it no longer has any practical objective meaning. You can say that makes sense to you, and it may be a sense common to many people, but it’s not common enough, and it’s not necessarily objective sense. If tests were accurate, and the consequences of covid were objectively worse than the mitigation and shutting things down in a targeted way were the only way of mitigation, then I think that would make more objective sense and that kind of sense would be more common. But those factors are more a matter of belief, upon which the sensibility rests. So no. What you’re saying is not common sense.

But running an engine that the tach says could blow is? :D

A year ago, if a factory had a flu outbreak that takes out a significant portion of the workforce, it would be shut down.

Same goes for this, eh?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom