Not open for further replies.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    When we read about the tens of thousands of Covid-19 patients in NY and elsewhere, are they ALL hospitalized, or does that number include people riding it out at home with less severe or even mild symptoms?

We don't know that unless they publish the numbers.
    The only numbers I know are...

Minnesota
    Total positive tests 503
    Cases requiring hospitalization 75
    Cases in hospital today 39
    Deaths 9
    Cases no longer requiring isolation 252

I sincerely hope New York has ratios like this which would mean many, many of their patients are isolated at home and not in hospitals. Of course I don't know that because I have not seen those numbers reported by them.

We have some very good health care in Minnesota but I would hope New York does too.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, yes, all that is obvious. Minnesota had its first case on March 6, New York had its first case on March 1. So the outbreak has been going longer in New York.
    New York has 67 times as many cases.
    New York has 38 times as many deaths.
    New York has 0.0045 times as many survivors.
    I think the number of “survivors” not accurate. There are many anecdotal stories out there of survivors. I know plural of anecdotes is not data, but it’s obvious that there are more than one.

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    I don’t have any data either, but I personally know three people who were diagnosed with it and stayed at home. They seem to have recovered now. I really hope that most of the cases go that way. I don’t see how over 40k people could be hospitalized with it and the hospitals not collapse.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    If the ratios were about the same New York should have about 15,000 people that no longer require isolation. Some of these should be in good enough condition to provide very valuable services.
    However I don't think it is valid to assume the ratios should be about the same.
    The Minnesota numbers are too small and there are too many other factors involved to validly extrapolate to New York size numbers.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yes, they must not feel like reporting them correctly.
    I don’t know why the number is one. We have some conflicting information. The source that was provided said one recovered. Is that cumulative? Is that change since last update? There are many stories about survivors in NY. Either someone made all but one up, or the count does not represent the count of all the people who have recovered from this in NY.

One recovery is ridiculous. I suspect it’s the latter.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    My wife’s 2nd cousin has the virus. She is late 50’s and is a cancer survivor that was expected not to survive a few years ago. She went to the doctor a week ago and got the results a few days ago. She is currently at home recovering and doing surprisingly well from what we are told. She said she had trouble breathing for a while but that was the worst of it.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I should also mention that we thought for sure my mom had it. She spent several days in the hospital and we weren’t sure she was going to recover. Ended up being RSV. She was released a few days ago and is now recovering from home. She did mention that she was the only person i. The hall she was in until the day she left.
    she will be 64 this year

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    None of our officers who were infected required hospitalization I don't believe. Most are already on the mend.

Best news I've read all day.
    The few officers I know personally, went to church with them and/or visited with in their homes, & just recently (before all this started) went to a retirement party for a detective.
    I have a nephew (from my foster family) who is a a young officer in his late 20s.

I have many friends who work in hospitals that I'm concerned about.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Last article I read said 9830 people had been tested statewide. So I'm assuming that is all people who had symptoms of this, and a large majority tested negative. Since it shares symptoms with so many other things, is there any value in looking at the total tested for potentially having it versus the deaths? 9830 tests with 32 deaths is a lot lower percentage than the positive cases versus deaths. Assuming the vast majority of the tests are given only to people who present as maybe having it. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, or somehow finding a way to make it positive in my own mind, I'm not sure. Just saying that symptoms don't equal that specific thing, I guess....why be tested if it may NOT be that? Not trying to downplay the seriousness of what can happen if you DO get it...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom