• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Reminds me of a joke. The punchline is, "Wear whatever you want, it'll just be the 2 of us." :D

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Just checking in for my daily COVID update....

source.gif

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Last facility closed so I'm officially beached for a few weeks. Will see what comes next, but I can say that the wife is much happier that I'm home for a while. I don't understand all this "flatten the curve" stuff, how can you get relevant numbers with such limited data and no solid info about how long the virus lasts outside a human host? Seems to me that after a few weeks indoors we will just be resetting the clock to where we were in January.:dunno:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Last facility closed so I'm officially beached for a few weeks. Will see what comes next, but I can say that the wife is much happier that I'm home for a while. I don't understand all this "flatten the curve" stuff, how can you get relevant numbers with such limited data and no solid info about how long the virus lasts outside a human host? Seems to me that after a few weeks indoors we will just be resetting the clock to where we were in January.:dunno:

CDC,NIH study on sars-cov-2 survival outside the body.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973?query=featured_home

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

The theory is that making the virus outbreak last longer and less intensity (as far as number of people sick at a time) is a good thing.

I'm not entirely sold on that, but I'm a team player.

I am more than a little tired of every Ken and Karen on Facebook condescendingly saying "just stay home" or flat-out claiming that we should find a path back to opening up equates to euthanasia.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Having experienced bad respiratory distress in 1978 at IU it's not something I want to go through again. I can see the experimental data on the virus degradation on 5 surfaces which is encouraging, but there are a lot more things besides those 5 around. Copper I would have expected those results as I've used copper and silver both in coatings to make them more resistant to bacteria.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Has anyone heard anymore news about the trials that were supposed to start Tuesday (with regards to this chloroquine drug)?

I get why we wouldn't want people hoarding it. I get why we wouldn't want people prescribing it if it was proven to be dangerous or maybe even if it was ineffective. But if I had this illness and I was in bad shape, until I hear to the contrary, I'd want to try it and wouldn't want a governor stopping me.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...pehLO8o6-qzuHQ_JwfUfnOYiNbbbBLPQnLtiuiwWgoyDE

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Has anyone heard anymore news about the trials that were supposed to start Tuesday (with regards to this chloroquine drug)?

I get why we wouldn't want people hoarding it. I get why we wouldn't want people prescribing it if it was proven to be dangerous or maybe even if it was ineffective. But if I had this illness and I was in bad shape, until I hear to the contrary, I'd want to try it and wouldn't want a governor stopping me.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/20...pehLO8o6-qzuHQ_JwfUfnOYiNbbbBLPQnLtiuiwWgoyDE

Then there's this.

There is widespread self-prescribing of plaquenil among doctors, such that various states are trying to ban the practice.
    They say there is no evidence that it is effective, and it is taking vital supplies away from patients with RA and Lupus.
    They are correct–the evidence for hydroxychloroquine is weak, because we are just beginning to study it.
    But, what are the odds that it works?
    I love to look at markets to trying [sic] and deduce people’s opinions from their behavior.
    Plenty of people are trash talking Plaquenil right now. But thousands of doctors are prescribing it for themselves and their families.
    That’s a whole lot of people rushing to put their money, their health and their medical licenses (they can be disciplined for this in many states) on the line in a bet that Plaquenil works.
    If there were a betting market on Plaquenil’s efficacy, what do you think the odds would be? The people who are most informed are buying it in such quantities that it is threatening supply. That’s a vote of confidence from people with skin in the game and suggests a high probability of upcoming study results being positive.

https://thelibertarianrepublic.com/...o8TQNAeGrkBZBE-IiidzEJyO7wR6TEZMcByp4roubGUs0

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Without quoting several of the sudden, awful death stories, I had a question. Why is it that 98% recover, and a handful (even younger people) come in to the ED and are apparently dying in hours?

I’m in the middle with this. It’s worse than an average flu season, but it’s not apocalyptic. I trust folks like HoosierDoc and appreciate his input. I also think a couple people are so heavily-invested in their own predictions that they won’t even listen to the possibility of positive news. I think that’s a problem.

I think the people who come in and die within hours would be the people who just thought it was the flu and didn't go in until it was more advanced.

It's not apocalyptic, IMHO, but the part that makes it seem like it is, is that in some communities hospitals are overwhelmed. Conditions may not be overwhelming in Indy. Hopefully, they won't be. But it sounds like in some of the harder hit areas, they are. Denying that seems to be bias on the other side.

I don't think we should predispose ourselves for positive or negative news. We shouldn't make predictions and then become attached to them such that we won't accept information that tends to discount the prediction. I don't care, as far as what I'm willing to believe, if all the facts available are negative or positive. That attribute does not contribute to them being true or false. If all the knowable facts are doom and gloom, or peaches and roses, it is what it is. I think that's the best statement we can make about this is that it is what it is, regardless of what we'd like it to be.

If the glass contains 50% of capacity, it's not half full; it's not half empty. It contains 50% of capacity. It is what it is. We don't need to make value judgements about facts. They're just true and relevant or not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom