• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If it would simply be 30% for two months then sure, but I have a hard time believing that there will be a return to "normal" anytime soon. We don't even know if two months is all it will take or if it will re-appear. I suspect the impact of the path we've taken will be felt forever as well. The impact on businesses is going to be staggering. What successful business plans to have zero or near zero income for two months or more? Having a spouse working in non-profit where all their revenue is generated from events and half of those events have been canceled for 2020 they are staring at a big hurdle to even pay rent on a building they aren't using and pay staff that can only do so much right now. All of the businesses and individuals that would normally donate to them are also in limbo waiting to see what will happen next.

You don't have to convince me; I also work at a nonprofit where the revenue is event-driven. I'm looking at the same issues. Fortunately we have no debt (paid off in 2018), so I think we have a good chance to survive this thing.

Letting the virus run its course and kill a huge number of people doesn't get us back to normal, either.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Of the things you listed, the only one that we know is that it can cause your immune system to attack the lungs.

We don't know the mortality rate. We don't know mortality rate by age group. We don't know the R0 value. We don't know these things, because we don't have the data to know those things. We simply can't compare novel coronavirus to the flu, because we don't yet do enough testing to know how many people are being infected. Only once we know how many people are/were/have been infected, can we know any of those things, much less, compare them with the flu.

We know that it can be very serious for those whom it infects - and particularly so for certain demographics. We can and should act on that information.

Whether that information, alone, is sufficient to scuttle the world's most massive economy, or to willingly cede civil liberties to the government, is a legitimate question.

We know that the rates for some countries approximately track the rates that other countries are seeing. We don't know the numbers down to a fraction. But as far as mortality rates, and by age groups, and the R0 value, we have a range, where the lower limit is derived from the statistics, and the upper limit is a guess based on models. Because we aren't testing everyone, what we know from the statistics is that these numbers a minimum. And what that tells us is that this isn't the ***damn flu. Is it worth shutting the economy down over? I don't know. It's a discussion worth having. Maybe we're shutting down too much. Or maybe in 3 or 4 weeks we'll all be thinking we didn't shut down enough. I think NY right now doesn't think they shut down enough early enough.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I already know it's a trap when you offer to let me kill you for your resources. I'm also fairly confident that if I needed your resources that badly, you'd probably help me out as much as you could anyhow... as I would for others as well.

So... :yesway:

True dat.

Maybe if given the choice, I'd go out in a firefight rather than suffocating from a virus.

What's the MOS for crippled old guy?

Any active war zones left?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I found it odd that the FDA approved hydroxychloroquine for "off label" use.

It's not illegal for a physician to prescribe a medication for a condition it is not approved for. Happens all the time. Manufacturers are not allowed to advertise or promote a drug for a condition it is not approved for, but there is no law against doctors prescribing "off label", subject, of course, to the medical standard of care.

I don't quite know what approving a drug for "off label" use does. Maybe it gives health systems and docs cover who have policies against prescribing drugs for "off label" use? I don't know.

The drug is already approved for treating malaria. I think if the people who are in dire circumstances are willing to try it, they should be able to regardless. If it's just a matter of not getting sued, can they sign something that says, "**** it. Just give me the ****."

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Looking at the worldometers website just now, it appears the # of "Recovered" now exceeds "Deaths" by 700. That's the first time I think that's happened. Hopefully, that trend will continue and quickly.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

giphy.gif

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The drug is already approved for treating malaria. I think if the people who are in dire circumstances are willing to try it, they should be able to regardless. If it's just a matter of not getting sued, can they sign something that says, "**** it. Just give me the ****."

Let's just say that as a guy who defends malpractice suits against healthcare providers, I wouldn't be too concerned about the "**** it., Just give me the ****." cutting into my business....but whatever helps the healthcare administrators sleep at night.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Looking at the worldometers website just now, it appears the # of "Recovered" now exceeds "Deaths" by 700. That's the first time I think that's happened. Hopefully, that trend will continue and quickly.
    On BNO the-latest-coronavirus-cases , worldwide, the reported recovered is 114495 and the deaths are 23607.

Where is the data you are looking at represent?

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

With a fatality rate of less than 50% it had to happen some time but yes, a very good sign. I hope there are lots of health care providers among the recovered.

Although, "recovered" only means they don't have COVID-19 anymore, they still could have debilitating damage from the ordeal.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    benw
    Top Bottom