Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The description here lists the crew size as 27
    Published on Jul 6, 2010
    the second biggest lake freighter to the Paul R. Tragertha. the ship was heading into Sault Ste Marie locks between Lake Surperior and Lake Michigan in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The ship is 1,004'X105'. 8 inches shorter then the Tragertha. Built between 1971-1978. Launched on July 19th, 1978. it carries sand, iron ore, rocks, just about anything. Crew size is 27. Owned by USS Great Lakes Fleet. Max Capacity is 74,100 tons. 280 foot unloading beam, 19,500 HP diesel engine (largest on the great lakes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH_eWTefI2c
    [video=youtube;aH_eWTefI2c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH_eWTefI2c[/video]

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Which doesn't mention crew size.

It has 30 crew members. Not 130. I certainly did not mean 130. Sorry for the confusion.
    It has 3 likely cases,I was told they had been tested but that part is not verified. But they at the very least think they have three cases and are not docking.
    Duluth has had cases(another port it visits along with Silver bay). Silver bays Taconite plant has had one confirmed case from testing in Duluth,but is still operating as it is considered a national security priority.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    It has 30 crew members. Not 130. I certainly did not mean 130. Sorry for the confusion.
    It has 3 likely cases,I was told they had been tested but that part is not verified. But they at the very least think they have three cases and are not docking.
    Duluth has had cases(another port it visits along with Silver bay). Silver bays Taconite plant has had one confirmed case from testing in Duluth,but is still operating as it is considered a national security priority.

Okay. 30 I believe.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    It is the one for payroll dropping Friday. We had to figure up payroll, rent and utilities for two months and we can submit that on Friday.
    We submitted ours to our banker today. Are you sure you have to wait until Friday for the PPP money? The banks are supposed to process the loans in 15 days.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We submitted ours to our banker today. Are you sure you have to wait until Friday for the PPP money? The banks are supposed to process the loans in 15 days.

As of this afternoon the website said you can not apply until Friday. Trump even mentioned it today it was not available until Friday.

We applied for the Economic Injury Disaster Loan yesterday.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not knowing much of anything about how anything maritime actually works... Is it normal for people to evacuate from one side of lake superior to the other? On an ore ship?

Just seems weird from my position of ignorance.

If you were the crew on a boat, and your family was in a big city when crowds are dangerous, would you want to move them to someplace with less people?

Super Bee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne

The wife has it pulled up now, can not submit until April 3rd. Maybe your banker was just getting things ready early.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If you were the crew on a boat, and your family was in a big city when crowds are dangerous, would you want to move them to someplace with less people?

My ignorant assumption is that land travel would be a faster method to get where they wanted to go. Just asking if it's something that actually happens. Across oceans it makes all the sense in the world.

I'm also curious about the operations of most generally soulless companies that couldn't care less about their employees families. My employer doesn't give two Fs, so... I'm asking if that's all different in that community and situation.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My ignorant assumption is that land travel would be a faster method to get where they wanted to go. Just asking if it's something that actually happens. Across oceans it makes all the sense in the world.

I'm also curious about the operations of most generally soulless companies that couldn't care less about their employees families. My employer doesn't give two Fs, so... I'm asking if that's all different in that community and situation.

What if the roads are closed?
    What if the towns are separated by 500 miles of road and only 50 miles of water?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Also, US Steel (the ship's owner) may not care about the employees or their families. But US Steel isn't on the ship.
    The crew is.
    So, if no one says anything..

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Also, US Steel (the ship's owner) may not care about the employees or their families. But US Steel isn't on the ship.
    The crew is.
    So, if no one says anything..

This is the answer I was looking for. :yesway:

Literally akin to me driving my family around in a company car. So, no big deal then, just a much different scale.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom