Not open for further replies.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Not that I believe their numbers.

But it kinda makes sense that a totalitarian regime with a dubious human rights record would be more effective in containing a virus than we are.

Our "lockdown" is basically a suggestion. Theirs wasn't.

This is the Tom Friedman theory, but no it doesn't make sense, because totalitarian regimes prize power and control of information (to maintain power) over everything else. China knew they had a problem early on but instead of using their totalitarian powers to contain the problem they used their powers to contain the information by squelching reports and doctors and destroying evidence. So the actual problem spun way out of control...and they are still trying to control the information (e.g. by not reporting deaths and blaming America).

When the smoke finally clears I’ll bet that it turns out America turned turned the corner on this relatively much earlier in the cycle than China despite having a three month handicap on knowing something was wrong.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    President just said to wear a mask or even a scarf over your mouth...for now. You will not always have to but for now.
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/

Now on CNN.

“You know, you can use a scarf. A lot of people have scarfs, and you can use a scarf. A scarf would be very good. My feeling is if people want to do it, there’s certainly no harm to it. I would say do it, but use a scarf if you want, rather than going out and getting a mask or whatever, we're making millions and millions of masks," Trump said when asked if he would recommend all Americans wear masks.
    https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-03-31-20/index.html

“So you can use scarves if you want, it can be something else, it does not have to be a mask, but it’s not a bad idea at least for a period of time. I mean eventually you’re not going to want to do that, you’re not going to have to do that. It’s going to be gone. It's going to be gone, hopefully gone for a long time," Trump said.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So this was posted elsewhere on INGO but creates a question, if true are we not behaving disproportionately?

attachment.php

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    So this was posted elsewhere on INGO but creates a question, if true are we not behaving disproportionately?

attachment.php

Everything you just posted but Covid-19 was per year. In the case of covid-19 that is the amount of deaths in since January. In the USA in 31 days we have had 3799 deaths in 31 days(confirmed,likely more than that)in the USA alone.
    Even the president is saying to expect a minimum of 100k deaths in the next 4 weeks(with stay at home orders and people social distancing perfectly...yes he said perfectly).

You can not compare that to yearly figures to that can you?

I will also point out last year in the entire USA we had 2 malaria deaths.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Everything you just posted but Covid-19 was per year. In the case of covid-19 that is the amount of deaths in since January. In the USA in 31 days we have had 3799 deaths in 31 days(confirmed,likely more than that)in the USA alone.
    Even the president is saying to expect a minimum of 100k deaths in the next 4 weeks(with stay at home orders and people social distancing perfectly...yes he said perfectly).

OK so if the c-virus number is based off 31 days, 1 month then if we multiple it by 12 we get 252k. So a little past suicides but not car accidents.

The number could be bigger if we use an exponential graph I guess but not sure.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

It says worldwide deaths from January 1st to March 25th 2020. Looking at just smoking deaths alone, cdc says 7 million worldwide last year. So in a 3 month span that number could be pretty close to correct. Haven’t checked any other numbers tho, just did a quick search to see if the numbers could be correct for a single category

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    OK so if the c-virus number is based off 31 days, 1 month then if we multiple it by 12 we get 252k. So a little past suicides but not car accidents.

The number could be bigger if we use an exponential graph I guess but not sure.

Nobody knows the actual number of Coronavirus death from China, everybody knows it way bigger than the number had been reported.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    Nobody knows the actual number of Coronavirus death from China, everybody knows it way bigger than the number had been reported.

That can also be said about any death in China. Smoking, cancer, heart attacks and such. Remove China from all counts and see what the numbers would reflect. Would it matter what China reports in any category?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Ya’ll are much more versed than I, I tend to get lost in what’s true, whose truth, etc.. Good friend from high school posted this on the book of faces, love to know your thoughts:

I will keep this as brief as I can.

Many experts believe that it is quite possible we reach 33% unemployment,if this shutdown extends beyond the end of April.

If that happens, you won't CARE about corona virus..trust me.
    The LAST thing you will worry about is corona virus.

Right NOW we are employed... Right NOW we have the luxury to pick up the phone and order take out from a local restaurant. Right NOW we have the luxury of complaining about a shortage of toilet paper...or slow internet speeds....or golf courses closing down...

But that luxury evaporates OVERNIGHT when we reach unemployment numbers similar to the Great Depression.

You won't care about politics. You won't care about sports. You won't care about not being able to go to the beach...

Your life will be completely turned upside down, and you will realize, with great clarity, that the "CURE" for the corona virus, vastly outweighed the disease itself.

This hysteria is ridiculous. People can be smart...they will be smart. No one wants to get this. But you can't shutdown the economy. It is NOT about greed. It is about livelihood, and that goes away if we continue down this ridiculous path.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    That can also be said about any death in China. Smoking, cancer, heart attacks and such. Remove China from all counts and see what the numbers would reflect. Would it matter what China reports in any category?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having reliable numbers from China would be really beneficial. With the amount of time from becoming infected to fatalities, a country with their population and being ground zero for the virus would be a good indicator of what to expect worldwide. Unfortunately, since it is China, we’ll be skeptical of any numbers coming out of China.

Then again, I don’t think every country is comparable either. The US and Italy for example, much different governing bodies, healthcare systems, societal standards and other factors where it will never be 1:1 comparisons. The only studies that are useful are medical care, which drugs did what and so on. That can be helpful. Numbers? Nah, pointless.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Ya’ll are much more versed than I, I tend to get lost in what’s true, whose truth, etc.. Good friend from high school posted this on the book of faces, love to know your thoughts:

I will keep this as brief as I can.

Many experts believe that it is quite possible we reach 33% unemployment,if this shutdown extends beyond the end of April.

If that happens, you won't CARE about corona virus..trust me.
    The LAST thing you will worry about is corona virus.

Right NOW we are employed... Right NOW we have the luxury to pick up the phone and order take out from a local restaurant. Right NOW we have the luxury of complaining about a shortage of toilet paper...or slow internet speeds....or golf courses closing down...

But that luxury evaporates OVERNIGHT when we reach unemployment numbers similar to the Great Depression.

You won't care about politics. You won't care about sports. You won't care about not being able to go to the beach...

Your life will be completely turned upside down, and you will realize, with great clarity, that the "CURE" for the corona virus, vastly outweighed the disease itself.

This hysteria is ridiculous. People can be smart...they will be smart. No one wants to get this. But you can't shutdown the economy. It is NOT about greed. It is about livelihood, and that goes away if we continue down this ridiculous path.

Time will tell.

Even though my opinion of the seriousness of this virus has evolved, I tend to agree with him.

We’re committed to solving this by with a blanket hunker down at home strategy. We’ve got a lot of smart people in this country. Hopefully soon, one of them will come up with and be able to sell different strategy to the powers that be that will allow this country to get back to work...before it’s way too late.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    To quote the President "This isn't the flu". The facts are we don't know exactly who will die from infection or why; we don't have a proven treatment for it; we're not even 100% sure how it spreads.

The leadership chose the path to prevent and combat instead of sitting back and watching a couple million of the population succumb. It's going to hurt, yes. I'm ok with going the humanitarian route, the country will dig out (again).

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    To quote the President "This isn't the flu". The facts are we don't know exactly who will die from infection or why; we don't have a proven treatment for it; we're not even 100% sure how it spreads.

The leadership chose the path to prevent and combat instead of sitting back and watching a couple million of the population succumb. It's going to hurt, yes. I'm ok with going the humanitarian route, the country will dig out (again).

This is my feelings as well. I’m sure ingo is divided 50/50 on this, but I think doing all we can to prevent the spread until we can come up with a treatment is the best route.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This is my feelings as well. I’m sure ingo is divided 50/50 on this, but I think doing all we can to prevent the spread until we can come up with a treatment is the best route.

Is there anything beyond anecdotes on that drug combination? A couple days ago there were several stories about it, but nothing solid. Certainly nothing in the MSM about it.

HoosierDoc? Any idea?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Is there anything beyond anecdotes on that drug combination? A couple days ago there were several stories about it, but nothing solid. Certainly nothing in the MSM about it.

HoosierDoc? Any idea?

They asked Trump about it today at his daily presser. The study in NYC is only a few days old (according to him) and too early to tell. I keep hearing doctors being interviewed that hold high opinions of this. But those are still just anecdotes.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

HoosierDoc? Any idea?
    This is what I've been thinking about too. Supposedly they have given approx. 1,100 people the meds in NY but there has'nt been any solid info about any results yet that I've seen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom