Not open for further replies.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Obviously disrespectful to you, not me.

Selma 1965. Actual oppressed people putting their health and indeed their life on the line. Led by a true leader with articulable goals and a plan to get there.

What flag is that they're flying? The flag of the oppressor?

Somebody's got their heads up their asses, and the smart money says it's not Dr. King

View attachment 59602View attachment 59603

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    C'mon Bug. You know micro-aggression and cultural appropriation is just as oppressive as Jim Crow.
    Speaking of cultural appropriation. The wife and I will be having mexican food for lunch today. I may try to say gracias at the end.
    The wife always gets the 2 taco lunch. I usually get the special if they have one.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    C'mon Bug. You know micro-aggression and cultural appropriation is just as oppressive as Jim Crow.

Yesssss

I'm saddened more than I'm angered (except about the misinterpretting the flag part) because I really believed that the way out of the box was to have black people fully incorporated in all walks of life. When everybody personally knew someone who was black as a neighbor or a co-worker or a friend of their children it would be much harder for those seeking to promote divisiveness to gain sway. Eventually they would be just people who happened to be black. I would confess that in my vision this would require some homogeneity of desires and goals. Just as in order to fully accept a new neighbor we have some standards of expected behavior with respect to upkeep, friendliness and keeping their children (if any) on a short leash, we likely would have the expectation that the folks we welcome as just another family that happens to be black would share some goals such as a strong country, a strong economy and a strong family. I don't think religion and politics really enter into it that much. We accept a lot of variability in that know. I think the underpinnings of true acceptance is to make the unknown known in an everyday way, and for the unknown to found be essentially much like those we already know and accept

To see the very people who assert they wish to be fully included in society wishing to set themselves apart in their grievances and actions brings nothing but despair

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    For me, it's, my country when right, not my country right or wrong. So I can imagine circumstances unde which disrespect is appropriate. For example, say the insane left won, and communism DID take root, and as is normal for communism, the US government actually oppressed people. I would not want to stand for that flag.

And I could understand that there was a time I can look back in history, and see that the US indeed oppressed Black people, enslaved them, then segregated them, discriminated against them. I would not blame thise people for not wanting to stand to honor that flag. But that is far from the case now. Now, "oppression" is cultural appropriation, micro-aggression, and all that nonsense. Even the act of stating, that much of the gang violence in inner city is caused by fatherless homes, is hate speech and ks therefor systemic oppression.

Oppression is illegal in the US. Predudice and racism is now individual, not institutional. Singling out and protesting the real instances of unfair treatment of minorities by the police is a reasonable action. But kneeling out the natinal athem to protest "a country that oppresses Black people and people of color" is protesting some nebulous, unidentifiable monster.

The country doesn't oppress prople of color. Some individuals do. That requires a case by case treatment. And it at least requires people to stop concocting societal monsters to attack.

It is your right to disagree, but not to say that you speak for the sum of the American people.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It is your right to disagree, but not to say that you speak for the sum of the American people.

Have you thought about applying that standard ... a little closer to home? Or does simply being black allow you to speak for all black people and interpret what kneeling to the anthem (or any other political action) really means

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Have you thought about applying that standard ... a little closer to home? Or does simply being black allow you to speak for all black people and interpret what kneeling to the anthem (or any other political action) really means

lol

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Speaking of cultural appropriation. The wife and I will be having mexican food for lunch today. I may try to say gracias at the end.
    The wife always gets the 2 taco lunch. I usually get the special if they have one.

Arroz con Pollo is my go to.

I can out culturally appropriate both of you. . .we went to TACO BELL for lunch yesterday; if that doesn't scream "cultural appropriation" I don't know what does!!:rockwoot:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Includes polls by such bastions of conservatism as CBS, HuffPo and CNN. And the results still aren't pretty ... if you have dirty knees

Byron York: On game day, new polls show what Americans think about NFL protests, Trump

The CBS poll shed some additional light on the public's attitude toward the demonstrations when it asked, "Do you think professional athletes should or should not use their position and fame to talk politics or raise issues, if they want to?" The poll gave respondents three choices: "Yes, whenever they want to," "Yes, but only on their own time," and "No, they should not."

A decisive 68 percent said athletes either should get political on their own time or not at all. (The breakdown of that was 41 percent said athletes should do it on their own time, and 27 percent said they shouldn't do it at all. Just 32 percent said athletes could get political whenever they want to.)

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I can out culturally appropriate both of you. . .we went to TACO BELL for lunch yesterday; if that doesn't scream "cultural appropriation" I don't know what does!!:rockwoot:
    I am going to pick my Sichaun and Jalapeno peppers later today.If I feel extra cultural,I may dig more Hungarian garlic.:patriot:.....yesterday,I did make 4 quarts of Kimchi....

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    I felt no need to address what I think is nonsense.

So, the following ("the rest of the post") is nonsense?

I....

Here's one for you... the protesters have framed this as the social injustice issue "is bigger than the NFL." If so, why play? Want to protest? Don't dress out and hold a press conference in the parking lot explaining why you and your teammates aren't going to play a children's game (football, basketball or baseball) on TV today because there are far more serious issues affecting society.

That is a protest I can respect... when someone puts their money where their mouth is.

I don't need to say anymore... what you think is "nonsense" versus what I think is a serious protest speaks for itself.

===============================================================================================================

As an aside, Kaepernick and those who protest with him SAY that their social justice issue is "bigger than the NFL". THAT is certainly worth discussion.

Their protest METHOD indicates that their social justice issue is bigger than everything else the flag and country stand for, bigger than the entire journey to this point in time... THAT is nonsense.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    In my opinion, yes. The idea that people not do the work they are hired to do and give up their very public platform, is nonsense.

At least consider: that by dressing out and playing every week, they contradict their claim that the issue is bigger than the NFL.

At a minimum, pick a week, strike, pay the league and team fines... THAT shows by their actions that they think the issue is bigger than playing a game. Continuing to play every week, that action "says" the opposite.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom