• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    They shut some of them down, if I remember correctly, but are starting to spin those back up and build new ones.
    Why doesn't Germany allow their nuclear, and coal power plants to come back online? It makes no sense unless you want it deprive the lower, and middle class citizens of power.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Why doesn't Germany allow their nuclear, and coal power plants to come back online? It makes no sense unless you want it deprive the lower, and middle class citizens of power.
    Now you are starting to get it...
    Answered. For a bit more, Germany is still all in over this climate change garbage. I think the German people are starting to wake up and realize what the end goal of the elites truly is. After burning wood to keep warm over the winter and the farmers having to fight the government so that the country doesn't starve, people are actually starting to fight back. I think we'll eventually see the power plants being activated as well. They're already spinning up dirty coal plants, in the place of cleaner natural gas plants that they can't get fuel for. Who knows about nuclear, but I'm thinking they're absolute fools if they don't start spinning them up as well.

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    France went BIG on nuke, decades ago.
    I think that Framatome licensed PWR technology from Westinghouse back in the 1960s. They’ve been working to improve it ever since.

That would seem to make the French reactors descendants of the Shippingport reactor, which itself was the descendant of HGR's S1W and S2W reactors.

Smart guys, that Rickover and his original team.

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Also, you don't just push a button to start a power plant that's been mothballed.

And parts can be difficult to find.
    And expensive
    I remember 30 years ago I worked in a shop where we repaired/fabricated parts for what was at the time Public Service Indiana generating stations. A lot of parts were made specifically for power houses and some of them were years old and no such thing as a blueprint. You would get an old worn out part and instructed to repair or make new to fit where it came from.
    One of the guys, John, was a real craftsman, his work was always perfect, he was slow but that is what it takes sometimes. He got a steam shut-off valve that was all worn out. I remember it was a quick shutoff with the screw was a triple lead either Acme or Buttress thread. He was on that for days but when done it worked perfectly.
    A few months during his yearly evaluation the boss mentioned how many hours he had it this valve. John told him he should have just went to Menards and picked one up. Jim.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...He got a steam shut-off valve that was all worn out. I remember it was a quick shutoff with the screw was a triple lead either Acme or Buttress thread. He was on that for days but when done it worked perfectly...
    As someone who has cut such threads on a lathe, days is a reasonable timeline.

It would take me weeks just to remember how to do it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Well, electric heat is usually more expensive than gas.
    So, the Dems once again will help the poor, by further bankrupting them.

Though I guess the poor wouldn't be buying 'new' houses.

Top Bottom