• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonewolf414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Hello Im new to the forum so I decided the best way to kick things off is to see what you more professional gun owners have to say about this. I also have a bottle of Brownells d'solve anyone have any experience with this stuff or if its the right stuff?

The history of this is that it was given to me by a friend it is a Browning Automatic Rifle version A2 although I never plan on selling it I would like to keep the value of it the best I can. Thanks in Advance

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Welcome to the forum! I'm not qualified to answer your question, but that's quite a valuable weapon so you might want to consult the firearms curator at one of the prominent museums before attempting to conserve it yourself.

hf3787

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Gun Rust

I was at a gun show and there was a guy selling a Frontier Pad for removing rust spots from guns without damaging the bluing --It Works!!! I have used these to remove small rust spots from parts and basrrels have been very pleased. Please note that the pad will not remove any pitting.

Happy Shooting: Mike

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    you need to post more detail than, rust. Where is the rust?
    In the bore? On the Barrel surface? Both? In springs, and other guts?

I've been taught to use a good gun oil, and a soft cotton cloths, and rub till
    the cloth stays clean. You're likely to lose some finish but it's better than a
    pit or a hole. Same with the bore except with patches.
    If guts are rusty and you plan on using it save the old ones, but replace them.

:twocents:

Lonewolf414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Hello thanks for all the posts I'll post pics soon but for now there is only rust really on the reciever components are good its mostley surface rust on side and slighty more on the top in front of the rear sight there is some rust on the inside but not severe I am planning on bringing it to a gunsmith but am just seeing any suggestions before I do

I'll post pics later today

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    On some of my older guns, i've been reccomended heavy oil and 000000 steel wool. I'd get the opinion of someone who has seen the weapon first.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    Oil and a soft cloth. Anything that does not wipe off after a good soaking in some good gun oil, should not be removed to retain the current value. You can't do anything about what ever value has already been lost due to the light rust and finish wear that has already happened, but you have control over what happens in the future. Don't do more harm than is already done, with out consulting a "GOOD" gun apraiser before doing anything.

Lonewolf414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    If I were to refinish this cleaning re-bluing ect does anyone have an Idea of how significant the value will drop if correctly done?

MbMinx

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    Indianapolis Area
    A lot. I don't know much, but I know that the value of antiques comes from their original condition. Restoration and reconditioning significantly alter (if not destroy) original condition.
    I don't know how many times I've watched "Antiques Road Show" and others like it where the appraiser says "this would be worth thousands if you hadn't tried to fix it up. Now it's only worth a couple of hundred".

So, can anyone recommend a good firearms appraiser in the Indianapolis Area?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would not clean it at all. I would suggest removing the wood and soaking it inside and out with CLP or transmission fluid and wiping it down so that it doesn't rust any more.

Lonewolf414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Bar%20Restoration
    Here is the receiver Disassembled

http://s1053.photobucket.com/albums/s475/Alphawolf414/Bar Restoration/

Any idea if I just cleaned it would it be able to shoot or would it have to be fully restored?
    Bar%20Restoration

Last edited:

Lonewolf414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Its okay everyone the complete redo of the gun was just a hypothetical im planning on keeping it original just would LOVE to shot it.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    That's not bad at all. well rust is bad, but for an older gun I was expecting
    worse. looks like minor pitting and shouldn't affect the functioning of the
    rifle. Wipe it down with oil, let is sit so the oil absorbs a little, and wipe again,
    with soft cloth and oil. It'll look like it had been rusty, but it'll kill the rust that's
    there.

Have fun, be safe.

Lonewolf414

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Thanks all this info is helping me out alot another question I have is the brownells d'solve I mentioned in my fist post what does it do is it safe to use on my bar with ruining the value?

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    I've never used it, it looks like a type of mild detergent.
    their page says alot about dirt and grime, but nothing about rust.

I think I would oil it up first, then if you use the d'solve, you'll have to re-oil.

Top Bottom