• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Tried the cut-under-tail, step-&-pull method yesterday... didn't work out like the video :dunno: Guess like anything else, perfect practice makes perfect.

Wound up having to cut a slit on the back & pulled the skin off rabbit style.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    You have to make cuts down towards the feet from both sides of the tail. If you don't cut enough you'll just rip the tail off. You'll notice he wiggles it side to side a bit as well to get it started.

Zombie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Danville
    i actually made this mistake on a rabbit. that rabbit was pissed

I had that happen last year. Apparently a rabbit my buddy "shot" was only stunned and was not happy to wake up in my hunting coat pouch!:D
    Glad I'm not the only one thats happend to.....BTW-I've also pulled many a tail off of the squirrel trying that method-it just takes time to get it right. Once you do-it is a very good method....

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Tin snips and a sharp knife. Cut the feet off with tin snips. cut their head off. Cut under the tail along the back. Work the skin loose around the legs and arse. Hold by the tail and pull. Should be able to do it in less than 2 min.

I do them the same way except hold the feet against a piece of wood and press down on a Buck folding hunter to cut off the feet.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Tried the cut-under-tail, step-&-pull method yesterday... didn't work out like the video :dunno: Guess like anything else, perfect practice makes perfect.

Wound up having to cut a slit on the back & pulled the skin off rabbit style.

The method really does work like a charm. It takes a few times to get the hang of it, but be sure to watch the video very closely so you can see exactly where he makes the cuts... that's crucial.

Getcherself 4 or 5 squirrels to practice on. Oh, and if you shoot the *** end out of it, this technique doesn't work too well. :whistle:

met eng gun nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    There is more than one way to skin a squirrel...because who would skin a cat??? My dad always stood on the tail to remove the skin while the guts were still in. I on the other hand am an idiot when it comes to that. I skin squirrels like a rabbit. I cut perpendicular to the backbone and pull the skin off. then cut the extremities off and gut the squirrel. All this after the helicopter to ensure the squirrel is deceased.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I love to hunt the little tree rats. I just slit on back and pull the coat and pants off then cut off the tail, feet, and head then cut. I then soak in salt water for awhile.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Tastes like chicken! Cut into quarters, soak in cold salted water, roll in flour just like chicken. Cook 30 mins or so remove from skillet, make gravy to put on mashed potatoes and biscuits. You will think you are eating dark meat chicken, yummmmy.

Tastes more like turkey. Especially when grilled over fire.

skier11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Bainbridge
    I pinch the fur in the middle of the back and make a small slice. Put both index fingers in and pull from the middle both ways pulling the fur and skin inside out all the way to both ends. Cut the head off at the neck, cut all feet off at the ankles, and cut off the tail just past the butt.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I pinch the fur in the middle of the back and make a small slice. Put both index fingers in and pull from the middle both ways pulling the fur and skin inside out all the way to both ends. Cut the head off at the neck, cut all feet off at the ankles, and cut off the tail just past the butt.

Exactly the way I do it, too. I don't gut it till it's skinned. It makes it a lot easier, no tearing of muscles involved. It also makes it easier if you have two people. Those little guys DON'T like to give up their skins.

I've tried the stepping on the tail method as it looks pretty slick, but I haven't got it to work quite right. I guess I need more practice.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    Took me about 8 tries to get the step-on-tail method right, every time the tail broke off... then whammo, it happened!!! Skinned the last 3 by the tail method & it really works exceptionally well, real quick and just about no hair stuck to the meat.

The trick for me was making the right cut at the tail (one vertebrae up the tail from the anus), making cuts almost all the way down both rear legs, and skinning up the back from the tail about 3-4 inches.

Turn it over, step real hard on the tail... wedging your foot far up under the squills butt, grab the back legs, pull & wiggle a little bit to loosen things up... then pull up hard & evenly.

I also cut the paws off the front legs before starting the process so it's real easy to pull the sleeves off.

Can't beat this method.

Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    I use a small hunting hatchet to take the legs off and then a slim very sharp knife, with a scandi grind to cut around the middle and peel the bottoms off like pants and the top off like a shirt - like WinChoke says.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    OK...I have to ask this...

Has anyone ever heard of using an air compressor to skin squirrels?

I guess you poke a hole in the skin in the butt end just enough to stick a air nozzle in & then inflate the skin like a balloon. I've never tried it but the guy who told me about it says he uses it all the time.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Make sure they're dead before sticking them in your pouch (don't want to get bit in the ***). Take catch home. Cut them round the middle with a sharp knife and peel back enough hide to be able to pull outwards. It's like pulling off pants and a shirt at the same time the opposite way with both hands. Cut it's hands and feet off as previously mentioned (I just do it with the knife, but tin snips sounds like a good way, too). Gut and cut up. Soak meat in salt water for a while. Cook and enjoy! Squirrel stew...YUM!

That's exactly how I do it. I have explained it that way too. "Just like taking his pants and shirt off.

Big Red Squirrels are a lot tougher than little Gray Squirrels though.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    OK...I have to ask this...

Has anyone ever heard of using an air compressor to skin squirrels?

I guess you poke a hole in the skin in the butt end just enough to stick a air nozzle in & then inflate the skin like a balloon. I've never tried it but the guy who told me about it says he uses it all the time.

I've read of people doing that with deer as well.

Top Bottom