• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I kinda wonder why we should trust anyone wanting that much info. Much of what he's asking for is all that's needed for identity theft.

Wonder if he's willing to provide the same private information and photocopies to the buyer that he's demanding.

Good and valid points. I can't, and won't argue against 'em.

But we also give all that information to an FFL when we purchase one from them. Yet we don't presume that the folks working at the gun shop are going to steal our identity, right?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008

But we also give all that information to an FFL when we purchase one from them. Yet we don't presume that the folks working at the gun shop are going to steal our identity, right?

Yep... but if they do, at least there is a handy dandy store to sue out of business.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le

FFL dealers have been through extensive background checks and have personal interviews with the ATF..... JoeSchmoeFromINGO has no such federal government credentials.... unless it's an INGO FFL Advertiser....

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    VIEWING a LTCH and DL # is one thing; I don't like people having my information on record - plain and simple.

Too much ID theft these days; I wouldn't do a deal like this unless the person was a reputable dealer with an FFL.

This is why, when I see terms laid out - I'll pass it on, it's the same when I see "FIRM" listed anywhere in the ad.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    Here the thing guys,and I discussed this with a former prosecutor who is now a sitting judge, a handwritten receipt would not be admissible in a court of law so you are not CYA at all, all you are doing is limiting your buyers and making yourself feel good.

If you feel the need to CYA than go to a dealer and pay the fee.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    "I do not submit my receipt to anyone and it is for my eyes only."

Riigghttt.

Personally if anyone is willing to hand over personal info to be copied to someone off the street to buy a gun then they deserve what is coming to them....

People think that an LTCH is golden and that is funny.

I added this to my non gun classified add,

P.S. NO SPECIAL STIPULATIONS, YOU HAVE CASH OR A TRADE THAT I WANT IS ALL THAT I REQUIRE TO MAKE A DEAL, I DO NOT NEED TO MAKE COPIES OF ANYTHING, TAKE YOUR NAME, DOB, DL NUMBER, ECT ECT, I WILL NOT ASK FOR YOUR MOTHER MAIDEN NAME, MY CAR GETS VERY GOOD GAS MPG AND COULD DRIVE A SHORT DISTANCE NO PROBLEM. AN LTCH OR DL IS NOT REQUIRED!

Last edited:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    P.S. NO SPECIAL STIPULATIONS, YOU HAVE CASH OR A TRADE THAT I WANT IS ALL THAT I REQUIRE TO MAKE A DEAL, I DO NOT NEED TO MAKE COPIES OF ANYTHING, TAKE YOUR NAME, DOB, DL NUMBER, ECT ECT, I WILL NOT ASK FOR YOUR MOTHER MAIDEN NAME, MY CAR GETS VERY GOOD GAS MPG AND COULD DRIVE A SHORT DISTANCE NO PROBLEM. AN LTCH OR DL IS NOT REQUIRED!
    So you'll sell to anyone...no matter who, or what they are?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Here the thing guys,and I discussed this with a former prosecutor who is now a sitting judge, a handwritten receipt would not be admissible in a court of law so you are not CYA at all, all you are doing is limiting your buyers and making yourself feel good.

If you feel the need to CYA than go to a dealer and pay the fee.
    I've signed a lot of contracts over my life that weren't notarized. Does this mean they were not legal and binding?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

Bought a rifle with just these "rules" the other day. Cash and a handshake. What more do you need?

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I've signed a lot of contracts over my life that weren't notarized. Does this mean they were not legal and binding?

Contracts are usually not handwritten and every time I have signed one their were witnesses. How would a court know if you didn't make up the receipt the day before and make up a name and address, you could photocopy a DL and LTCH and bring a few witnesses but that is a little overkill IMO

Any contract not notarized could be challenged in court, after that who knows what the judge will rule, some of them are unreasonable.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Granted, his products his rules (as long as they are within the laws) but good lord that is a terrible selling method! I am in sales, if anyone who wanted our radios comes up and I make them go through 50000 loops to get it, would they still want it?

Heck, I had a guy from Hoosier Topics flip out on me and drive off because I just wanted to see proof of age (he sounded really young on the telephone and in person looked to be 15 years old! Not to mention I told him over the phone I would need to see it, he said okay). Screamed and yelled he "needed" the gun, people like me **** him off and drove off in a huff, after flipping me off. All over just seeing an ID, no info taking, nothing. Makes you wonder why he needed the gun so badly, thinking on that level, I probably kept his family or coworkers alive for another night... :(

Information taking for ammo sale? Please. Bet he likes Illinois and their FOID cards too...

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    So, is it fair to assume that those of you complaining about the conditions of the sale do not purchase from FFLs?

There is a big difference in my mind. The FFLs have legal requirements to capture that information and buyers have a certain expectation of professional treatment of that info, i.e. no identity theft, fraud, etc.

For an unknown private seller, there is a much higher risk of that happening.

Top Bottom