• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AnonymousOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Anyone interested in this range remaining open needs to sign up at the Clark State Forest office and leave a mailing address. There will most likely be a public meeting regarding the range in the next few months. If some resolutions to some problems are not addressed, the range will most likely be closed. Things to be discussed at this meeting would be the possiblilty of volunteers to help monitor/clean/upkeep the range, application of user fees/donations, possible upgrades and alternatives.
    I would like to state the facts about the range itself, as it now stands, as I see a lot of false information within the comments here.
    -The range is currently free-don't expect first class facilities, do expect some inconveniences such as the range being closed for certain reasons.
    -Starting in Sept., range hrs changed. It is now closed until noon on Mon. and Fri. If a holiday falls on Mon. or Fri., the noon opening time falls on Tues. or Thurs. This change was implemented to simplify things at the maintenance level. As I have seen stated here, the amount of household trash, i.e. propane tanks, recliners, tv's, computers, water heaters etc., has been increasing on the range. What should take a normal hour or two, sometimes turns into several trips to dispose of garbage. Therefore, noon gives maintenance plenty of time to get it done without having pressure from shooters to hurry up because they expect it to be open.
    -The range is closed on Sunday...not for law enforcement, but out of respect for a nearby church...the church is less than a mile away. The range can be heard for several miles, especially on busy days.
    -The range is also closed when law enforcement groups want to use it for qualifications or practice. This generally occurs a couple times a month...again, an inconvenience, but still free to this point.
    -The area is patrolled daily, but enforcement is next to impossible. The state relies on 'self-enforcement', or the threat of possibly being caught by law enforcement being non-compliant. This tactic works for a majority, but the few paint a bad picture for everyone.
    -Sign-in is mandatory and you can be fined for failing to do so. This gives the state usage numbers as well as information in the case of an accident. Again, it's free to this point...if the few miles it takes to sign in and out breaks you, try a private club.
    I am sure of these facts, and hopefully this will clear up some obvious common misconceptions. Overall, nothing with the range has changed much over the years. The biggest issue is the abuse of the area by what I am sure is a select few individuals. If you are interested in keeping the range open, contact Clark State Forest with your name and mailing address.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    What obvious misconceptions are you referring to? Most of the posts I have seen on here pretty much have said the same as you have stated. We talked about a few of these issues in a couple previous posts.

AnonymousOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I haven't seen the previous posts here about this particular range. I am just stating the facts, as they are, as to how the range is currently managed.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I try to leave it better than I found it, but sometimes it's impossible. I'd pay a fee as it's, by far, the closest place for me to shoot.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It seems that more strict enforcement could lead to more revenue for the park. I wouldn't have a problem paying $5.00 or $10.00 for a day of shooting if it keeps the idiots away, and that LEO range is a frikken joke, I've seen those guys out there when the main range was full of shooters, NO way in hell would I be on that LEO range with people shooting on the main range. The park could also make several sets of keys and use the gate at the entrance of the range as a way of controlling who is in there and when, with limits of how many people can be in there at once.:twocents:

mjhammer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    Yes -- keep the CSF gun range open and clean

It would be really crappy if I had to drive all the way to Knob Creek Range just to target shoot with my rifle. Crazy.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I just sent a letter to Clark state forestry DNR.....
    To whom it may concern; My name is Chris Smith, I shoot at the Clark State forest range several time a year, and I love your range. I am on a gun owners forum called INGO...Indiana Gun Owners, there are several of us in the local area who would be willing to help clean up the range from time to time, if that would help keep the range open, please let us know how we can help

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Just got back from the range. I've heard the story of the propane tank but did not see it. I heard it happened once. I have also yet to see computers, TVs etc. but I'm sure it's happened. The range this afternoon is covered with boxes, abandoned targets, coke cans, bottles, jugs and stuff. I'm sure it's a job to keep that picked up. Most people just leave what they've set out there. I believe the majority of the people who go there are good people who would be glad to help do what it takes to keep the range open.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Alternatives??? Has anyone local to this considered the Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club (http://www.southernindianarifleandpistolclub.com/) ? I'm thinking about joining, partly to get away from the riff-raff, but also in anticipation of the powers that be ruining this recreational opportunity because of a few losers. It's costly. $100 application fee, NRA membership required, and $50 for individual or $65 for family yearly dues. But I think it'll be worth it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I've seen furniture, propane tanks, computer monitors, tvs, huge cardboard boxes, old windows, a metal gas can, plastic gas cans, you name it. My brother in law was there last week and said there was a recliner sitting on the first mound. Who the hell shoots a recliner? what fun is that? It's not going to explode or anything! I've limited my trips there recently to weekdays only, and as early as possible. It's really a shame that a few idiots ruin it for everyone. Mr. Smitty, let me know when you hear back from them, and I'll be there.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I've seen furniture, propane tanks, computer monitors, tvs, huge cardboard boxes, old windows, a metal gas can, plastic gas cans, you name it. My brother in law was there last week and said there was a recliner sitting on the first mound. Who the hell shoots a recliner? what fun is that? It's not going to explode or anything! I've limited my trips there recently to weekdays only, and as early as possible. It's really a shame that a few idiots ruin it for everyone. Mr. Smitty, let me know when you hear back from them, and I'll be there.

^^^This^^^ I was there last month an someone had an old bath tub out on the first mound:n00b::n00b:. An Ive seen the same as Tommy, its a little ridiculous. I do the same thing Tommy I only go early in the morning on a weekday!

donballz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    Fishers, IN
    Anyone know if the range is open today? I called over there and the office was closed, I suppose that's my answer but its not like its ever supervised to begin with. Want to show the family.

Top Bottom