CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: All things Islam...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    Sometimes there are Christian churches which are denied zoning. Sometimes the city wants another business to be in an area instead of a church so they can collect taxes. I don't think they were being denied because they were a specific group, but probably because they wouldn't generate any revenue for the city. :twocents:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    From that article, it seems like the right ruling.

The trial never happened and a judge did not rule in favor of anyone. The outcome was a settlement between the two sides.

The article itself did not give enough information for me to make that judgement. It just said they settled out of court and "The U.S. Justice Department", the plaintiff's side, "said the city discriminated against the group, finding that it departed from its normal practices to deny the group’s request."

So only one side is presented in the article. The article also did not give examples of how the city departed from normal practices, it just asserts that it did. I mean, how can you assume that 1) it was a ruling, and 2) that it was the right one. There isn't enough information to say.

Which is a good reason that non-profits should not be exempt from property taxes.

I agree with that. Non-profits should be exempt from income taxes so far as they don't earn profits. All non-profits should pay property taxes though. They really can't be exempted from city services, like fire and police protection, so they need to pay too. I could see where if they operate a school on the property and they also offer some kind of free tuition program, being exempted from the portion of property taxes which would fund public schools.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The trial never happened and a judge did not rule in favor of anyone. The outcome was a settlement between the two sides.

The article itself did not give enough information for me to make that judgement. It just said they settled out of court and "The U.S. Justice Department", the plaintiff's side, "said the city discriminated against the group, finding that it departed from its normal practices to deny the group’s request."

So only one side is presented in the article. The article also did not give examples of how the city departed from normal practices, it just asserts that it did. I mean, how can you assume that 1) it was a ruling, and 2) that it was the right one. There isn't enough information to say.

I agree with that. Non-profits should be exempt from income taxes so far as they don't earn profits. All non-profits should pay property taxes though. They really can't be exempted from city services, like fire and police protection, so they need to pay too. I could see where if they operate a school on the property and they also offer some kind of free tuition program, being exempted from the portion of property taxes which would fund public schools.
    Of all taxes I hate property taxes the most

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    yeah. I'd like to see all property taxation end. I shouldn't have to rent my property from the government.

Absolutely correct. Property taxes are disgusting, no one should have to pay taxes in order to own their property. One more example of an overbearing out of control government.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    ...On the other hand, suppose those reactions are to God showing those present new and amazing things without limit, no reruns, forever.

What you describe could not be Heaven.

Proof?

firefly.png

Argue that! ;)

Certainly "I believe" that, because it is truth.

Greg... Consider for a moment that you say that your belief is truth because it's what you were raised with.
    Had you been raised in Islam, you would believe just as fervently that this whole thing about "Jesus" was false, and the Quran was truth.

I'm not saying either is or that either is not. I'm saying that it all comes back to belief. Not specifically yours, but that of anyone who professes that his own belief is truth to the contradiction of any other, is in my mind the height of arrogance and ego.

Belief does not make fact. Fact can make a belief true. Look at the stir that was caused in some minds at the idea that there is no "afterlife"; That concept scares the eternal feces out of people! So how better to control them than to claim that you have the only route to achieving that life and avoiding either oblivion or damnation? Organized religion is that tool, and it has been used for all of recorded history, and perhaps longer. It is not your "fault", if fault is to be placed, that you believe what you've been taught. It's not your "fault" that those who taught you were taught the same way. If fault is to be placed for anything, it is in closing one's eyes and plugging one's ears :lala:to any thought or challenge of that notion.

To put that more personally, I'll state outright that I do not believe that Jesus of Nazerath was anyone's Savior. Not yours, not mine, not anyone's. I do understand that *YOU* believe in Him as *YOUR* Savior, and I respect that in the highest terms. I don't believe that Mohammed was any kind of prophet, but I understand that our members here who hold to the tenets of Islam DO believe in his teachings and in the God he served... which, incidentally, is one and the same, in my belief, and if you are consistent, yours as well: There is only one God, right? So to use an example I've used before, whether I call it a manzana or pomme or mela or apple, I'm still talking about the firm-fleshed fruit with the core and seeds, that we typically picture as having a red skin, often pictured as a gift to a teacher or the bane of a physician. The difference is that we humans can easily conceive of the entirety of the apple. We can hold it in our hand, turn it about, see where it dips in near the stem, and similar examinations. This is not the case with the Deity we call God for convenience, but Who has so many names. Is it unfathomable that others might have different conceptions of Him (or Her?) and we all still be right?

whoisright.png

To take that example further, imagine the shape in the middle is a bar that has three smaller bars coming off of it, all in the same direction. Is it a W, a 3, an M, or an E?

You're not in the wrong, Greg. You're just not the only one who can possibly be right.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Negative. The monies my wife and I give to our church have already been taxed. Enough is e-damned-nuf.

It's not that non-profits should or should not be exempt from property taxes. It's that ALL of us should be exempt from the payment of a tax to be allowed to continue owning what we've paid for already.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's not that non-profits should or should not be exempt from property taxes. It's that ALL of us should be exempt from the payment of a tax to be allowed to continue owning what we've paid for already.

Bingo.
    How can a person truly own property when big brother holds sway over said property. And can increase their demands on you for owning said property as they wish.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    What you describe could not be Heaven.

Proof?

firefly.png

Argue that! ;)

Greg... Consider for a moment that you say that your belief is truth because it's what you were raised with.
    Had you been raised in Islam, you would believe just as fervently that this whole thing about "Jesus" was false, and the Quran was truth.

I'm not saying either is or that either is not. I'm saying that it all comes back to belief. Not specifically yours, but that of anyone who professes that his own belief is truth to the contradiction of any other, is in my mind the height of arrogance and ego.

Belief does not make fact. Fact can make a belief true. Look at the stir that was caused in some minds at the idea that there is no "afterlife"; That concept scares the eternal feces out of people! So how better to control them than to claim that you have the only route to achieving that life and avoiding either oblivion or damnation? Organized religion is that tool, and it has been used for all of recorded history, and perhaps longer. It is not your "fault", if fault is to be placed, that you believe what you've been taught. It's not your "fault" that those who taught you were taught the same way. If fault is to be placed for anything, it is in closing one's eyes and plugging one's ears :lala:to any thought or challenge of that notion.

To put that more personally, I'll state outright that I do not believe that Jesus of Nazerath was anyone's Savior. Not yours, not mine, not anyone's. I do understand that *YOU* believe in Him as *YOUR* Savior, and I respect that in the highest terms. I don't believe that Mohammed was any kind of prophet, but I understand that our members here who hold to the tenets of Islam DO believe in his teachings and in the God he served... which, incidentally, is one and the same, in my belief, and if you are consistent, yours as well: There is only one God, right? So to use an example I've used before, whether I call it a manzana or pomme or mela or apple, I'm still talking about the firm-fleshed fruit with the core and seeds, that we typically picture as having a red skin, often pictured as a gift to a teacher or the bane of a physician. The difference is that we humans can easily conceive of the entirety of the apple. We can hold it in our hand, turn it about, see where it dips in near the stem, and similar examinations. This is not the case with the Deity we call God for convenience, but Who has so many names. Is it unfathomable that others might have different conceptions of Him (or Her?) and we all still be right?

whoisright.png

To take that example further, imagine the shape in the middle is a bar that has three smaller bars coming off of it, all in the same direction. Is it a W, a 3, an M, or an E?

You're not in the wrong, Greg. You're just not the only one who can possibly be right.

Blessings,
    Bill

I fully understand what you`re saying, I really do get that. However, by definition, there can only be one truth. The tomb of Jesus Christ is the only empty tomb, there is no other "god", pr prophet that has risen and is alive. So yes, someone is wrong, and someone is right. Jesus said He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no one comes to the father but by him. Either Jesus is wrong, or He is right. I`m betting my eternity on Jesus being right. Clearly you`re free to believe, or not believe, as you wish, just as I am, and as we all are.

This is a powerful, I think, quote by Penn Jillette:

“I've always said that I don't respect people who don't proselytize. I don't respect that at all. If you believe that there's a heaven and a hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life, and you think that it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward--and atheists who think people shouldn't proselytize and who say just leave me along and keep your religion to yourself--how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe everlasting life is possible and not tell them that?
    “I mean, if I believed, beyond the shadow of a doubt, that a truck was coming at you, and you didn't believe that truck was bearing down on you, there is a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that.”

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Which is a good reason that non-profits should not be exempt from property taxes.

Negative. The monies my wife and I give to our church have already been taxed. Enough is e-damned-nuf.

I would argue that churches contribute more to their communities than the cities would collect in taxes. If you want less money for feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, community outreach, etc. then by making them pay more in taxes is one sure way to do it. Of course, as we depend more and more on government "charity" to provide more goods and services, I guess it's natural to go glean the fields for tax money overlooked before.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I would argue that churches contribute more to their communities than the cities would collect in taxes. If you want less money for feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, community outreach, etc. then by making them pay more in taxes is one sure way to do it. Of course, as we depend more and more on government "charity" to provide more goods and services, I guess it's natural to go glean the fields for tax money overlooked before.

I think we've discussed this before. I'd be okay with exempting non-profit orgs from property taxes for the value of services they provide to their communities. But just being a church in itself doesn't necessarily do that. And that shouldn't necessarily be limited to just churches. And as far as income taxes, if they are truly non-profit there shouldn't be any profit to tax.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'd be okay with exempting non-profit orgs from property taxes for the value of services they provide to their communities.
    Sounds like a lot of paper work, auditing, etc. The government would love that and would certainly help create more jobs. ;).

But just being a church in itself doesn't necessarily do that. And that shouldn't necessarily be limited to just churches. And as far as income taxes, if they are truly non-profit there shouldn't be any profit to tax.

I can guarantee you our church isn't turning a profit. Most of the time, we're under water relative to our budget. I know some people see those mega-church-behemoths out there and think there's a large, untapped source of funding for all sorts of government programs. But I'd bet 90+% of the churches out there are like mine or in worse financial situation--just making enough to get by and doing what they can to help the community.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sounds like a lot of paper work, auditing, etc. The government would love that and would certainly help create more jobs. ;).

I can guarantee you our church isn't turning a profit. Most of the time, we're under water relative to our budget. I know some people see those mega-church-behemoths out there and think there's a large, untapped source of funding for all sorts of government programs. But I'd bet 90+% of the churches out there are like mine or in worse financial situation--just making enough to get by and doing what they can to help the community.

Just calling your .org a non-profit shouldn't exempt from property taxes. If you're going to say churches shouldn't pay taxes because they more than make it up in helping the community it shouldn't be hard to show that the church actually helped the community.

As far as income taxes, it's probably not that hard to show no profits, especially if the church is really helping the community.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just calling your .org a non-profit shouldn't exempt from property taxes. If you're going to say churches shouldn't pay taxes because they more than make it up in helping the community it shouldn't be hard to show that the church actually helped the community.

As far as income taxes, it's probably not that hard to show no profits, especially if the church is really helping the community.

We need to redraw the boundaries on being non-profit. Somehow the dominant health care consortium in my city manages to be 'non-profit' and the pay the CEO $1.2million and all of the board make $500k+. When they built a new hospital in a fast growing suburb, they had 20' tall live trees growing in the main lobby's atrium. If you've got that kind of money that is not being directed at your primary mission/rationale something is very wrong

Top Bottom