• Status
    Not open for further replies.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    A young and inexperienced man in spiritual combat underlines his every good work by self-praise. But the experienced soldier in the midst of struggles with passions and demons minimizes his every deed and intensifies his prayer for God's help. Abba Matoes used to say: "The closer a man is to God, the more sinful he sees himself to be." He also was known to say: "When I was young, I thought perhaps that I was doing some good; and now when I am old, I see that I do not have any good deed." Did not our Lord say: "No one is good but One, that is God" (St. Matthew 19:17). Therefore, if only the one God is good and the source of all good, how can a good deed be done that is not from God? And, how can someone who does a good deed ascribe it to himself and not to God? If this is so, with what then can mortal man be praised? By nothing, except with God and the goodness of God!

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    About idolatry as adultery

"Judah as did Israel defiled the land and committed adultery with stones and with wood" (Jeremiah 3:9).

What sort of adultery was that which the people of Israel and Judah committed with stones and wood? It was the worshipping of idols of stone and of wood. Before this sin, they committed another sin; they turned away from worshipping the True God, the Living God and the One God. Why is their idolatry called adultery? Because, they were first bound by love for the True God, the Living God, and the One God and afterwards they betrayed this love and gave up their heart to strange idols of stone and wood. That is why the Lord calls their idolatry, adultery.

Was this reproach of God deserved only in ancient times and not in our own time; and only by Israel and Judah and not by Christians? Unfortunately, this reproach of God is completely deserving even today by many Christians. In whomever love toward the True God, the Living God and the One God has cooled off, and a lesser love enflamed toward things of stone and wood, toward decaying things and mortal creatures, that one commits adultery and that one brings down upon himself the reproach of God. Then, that reproach of God is appropriate today as it was then, for men sinned then without knowing Christ and now men sin knowing Christ.

O brethren, how long will this darkened idolatry be dragged over the earth? How long will the earth reek from the adultery of mankind with their idols of stone and wood, of silver and gold, of flesh and blood? Did not the Almighty Christ destroy all idols into dust and ashes? Why do some now stoop down and again make gods for themselves from that dust? Because of the devil's lies and their own individual self-deception.

O ascended Lord into the highest heavens, protect us from the lies of the devil and our own self-deception. Safeguard us from shameful adultery with destroyed idols by Your honorable Cross. Help us O Lord, help us that we, without ceasing, worship You the only True God, the Living God and the One God.

To You be glory and thanks always. Amen.

St Nicholai Velimerovich

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I have not read this whole thread, so I don't know if this has been mentioned .....

I heard on the radio, the other day, that an atheist, was going to prove his

girlfriend wrong, that God, and Jesus, did not exist .....

Guess what happened, the more research he did, the more he became

convinced, and guess what, he is now a Christian .....

How about that !!!!!

That's just about what happened to C. S. Lewis.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    It's awesome isn't it?
    Once upon a time I asked for something and the result (healing) made me realize... You're real aren't You?!
    Then began a journey of faith and discovery that I am still on.
    There are roots in the path to catch your toe, sometimes it get dark and hard to see the way and there are forks in the trail to make you back track but OK, that's why I'm here.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Yes... and no. :D

I mean, sometimes the miracle happens in such a way that is a test. Undergoing the test is hard, painful, depressing, anxiety-laden, and all sorts of other negative things. But, coming out on the other side is so rewarding that it brings perspective. It brings gratitude for the test. It makes the next test easier, because all those negative things are mitigated by trust in God.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It's awesome isn't it?
    Once upon a time I asked for something and the result (healing) made me realize... You're real aren't You?!
    Then began a journey of faith and discovery that I am still on.
    There are roots in the path to catch your toe, sometimes it get dark and hard to see the way and there are forks in the trail to make you back track but OK, that's why I'm here.

I read something this morning that because we all seem to trip up, fall back on old weaknesses, etc. is sort of enlightening. Satan is often repetitive and un-creative. His bag of tricks seem to revolve around lust, fame, fortune, and power. He tried to tempt Jesus with fame, fortune, and power. He tempted Eve to be as knowledgable as God with food. Knowing the levers he's going to use helps us to stay on guard against those trips and falls.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I read something this morning that because we all seem to trip up, fall back on old weaknesses, etc. is sort of enlightening. Satan is often repetitive and un-creative. His bag of tricks seem to revolve around lust, fame, fortune, and power. He tried to tempt Jesus with fame, fortune, and power. He tempted Eve to be as knowledgable as God with food. Knowing the levers he's going to use helps us to stay on guard against those trips and falls.

Man aint that just the way it is.
    Being on your knees makes it a further reach to the cookie jar.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Yes... and no. :D

I mean, sometimes the miracle happens in such a way that is a test. Undergoing the test is hard, painful, depressing, anxiety-laden, and all sorts of other negative things. But, coming out on the other side is so rewarding that it brings perspective. It brings gratitude for the test. It makes the next test easier, because all those negative things are mitigated by trust in God.

I've heard it said that He asks sacrifice from those who do His work. Not that I think I understand it (yet) but yeah, sometimes it sure looks like that's the way it is.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Let it be known that I have an open mind:

My church is hosting a series of lectures from the organization Answers in Genesis.
    It's open to anyone to come on Wednesday nights (N. Fort Wayne) in May and June.

STEP Into SUMMER ? Wallen.org

Just a reminder, this starts tonight.

I'll be in the sound booth wearing a Bill Nye-esque bowtie. :stickpoke:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Moving this from Political funny pictures.

attachment.php

Yeah that' funny.

Christ is our salvation, but it is not automatic, we must ask and believe. There is some conflict between Buddhism and Christianity, but not as much as people would think except in that area

Much of what they teach about right action, personal responsibility and the tyranny of want and desire resonates. Your fellow traveler on the path can point you in the right direction but you must walk the path

Think for yourself, make your own way and draw your own conclusions, no wonder they are persecuted in so many places

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am actually amiss in saying that is funny. It is actually sad that anyone would try to save themself.

Living right is preached as a means of salvation in nearly every religion. That may make the adherents acceptable to man, but not unto God.

Jesus said,

John 14:6 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
    Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Acts 4:12 | View whole chapter | See verse in context
    Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I do not depend on works for my salvation

But right living is worth doing for its own sake. Were I not a Christian I would almost certainly be a Buddhist

It would not sadden me to see society in general adopt a more rigorous morality such as bushido

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    [h=1]1 Peter 3:8-12King James Version (KJV)[/h]8 Finally, be ye all of one mind, having compassion one of another, love as brethren, be pitiful, be courteous:
    9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
    10 For he that will love life, and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips that they speak no guile:
    11 Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.
    12 For the eyes of the Lord are over the righteous, and his ears are open unto their prayers: but the face of the Lord is against them that do evil.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Living like a Christian never got anyone to Heaven.

The Christian walk is intended to allow me (collective) to enjoy the abundant life and to be an example to the lost.

The Christian walk is not a test from God but a wonderful gift.

Bushido is a snare of the devil to bring them to hell, as are all religions. He doesn't care how you live as long as you do not trust Christ as your Saviour. Should you trust Christ he will do everything he can to keep you from living the abundant life.

Matthew 13:3 Behold, a sower went forth to sow;4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:
    5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:
    6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.
    7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:
    8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom