Not open for further replies.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I hear the SBC has moved to the "Christian Standard Bible", which I first thought was misreported and was the Holman Christ Standard Bible, but no it's derived from it.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    For those that haven't seen it, here's Dr. Moore's trenchant repsonse to a backwoods pastor.

[video=youtube;BuGxOE0Vy1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuGxOE0Vy1g[/video]

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Wow. Love the rhetorical flourish that started the answer to that question. :D

Kinda gives me goosebumps.

Dr. Moore is a rather polarizing figure in the SBC and I'm sure he's used to these sort of question. In a sense, I see him as leading the SBC into the 21st century, and shedding away any vestiges of real or just perceived bigotry. He's still very conservative, but unlike the Moral Majority of the 80's, he believes that Christianity is ultimately something that must come from the heart and can't just be won through politics.

In listening to his podcast, it's evident that he places unity in the Church as a high priority and is willing to recognize that's there's plenty of grey areas.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    As someone who is about to become a member of a church in the SBC, I have to say that Dr. Moore is one of the best spokesmen for that group. The amount of flack he took this last election for (gasp) standing on principles over politics from within the SBC was disheartening, but fortunately, the SBC leadership is standing by him.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I picture a Unitarian Universalist church bursting from the chest of that unsuspecting Baptist congregation. I wonder when the face-hugger got to them

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So the thing about the SBC is there's a lot of autonomy for individual churches. You've got to be doing it really wrong to get kicked out (like infant baptism :stickpoke:). The church in question still baptizes, yet they don't see a strong case for it to be a membership requirement; my guess is that it is strongly encouraged, especially since it's strongly encouraged that baptism closely follows salvation.

In other words, this church is an anomaly, yet because the SBC's values independence it's allowed to be in communion; it's what allows them to be the largest protestant denomination in the USA.

But not all Baptist would allow this... The history of Baptist in America is one riddled with splits and fractures over trivial doctrine... and carpet color.

PS - I'm not a Southern Baptist, just a fan (I'm a regular Baptist).

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Could you fill me in on why some Baptist Churches would not join the SBC? I think some are Free Will so that I could understand, but does the SBC have a Statement of Faith that some congregations specifically reject even if only on one or two bullet items? Don't need a thesis, just maybe a list of the lines in the sand website or something :)

Has the SBC evolved it's Statement of Faith over time to placate some member congregation?

So the thing about the SBC is there's a lot of autonomy for individual churches. You've got to be doing it really wrong to get kicked out (like infant baptism :stickpoke:). The church in question still baptizes, yet they don't see a strong case for it to be a membership requirement; my guess is that it is strongly encouraged, especially since it's strongly encouraged that baptism closely follows salvation.

In other words, this church is an anomaly, yet because the SBC's values independence it's allowed to be in communion; it's what allows them to be the largest protestant denomination in the USA.

But not all Baptist would allow this... The history of Baptist in America is one riddled with splits and fractures over trivial doctrine... and carpet color.

PS - I'm not a Southern Baptist, just a fan (I'm a regular Baptist).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom