• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    They are not "randomly" stopping people. We are looking for gangbangers and once we identify them we have RS for a terry stop/patdown. Wanding is a more efficient method. We know our jobs even if the news doesn't.
    I'm not doubting that you know your job, but merely trying to understand it from an outsider's perspective.

The end result, if I were to get stopped, would be me refusing the search and simply leaving the premises. Simply having a firearm on me (which is what you suspect) isn't illegal and even if you did see it print or knew I had it - I'd provide you my LTCH and be on my way (even if that meant leaving to avoid trespass).

The end result, no matter how you slice it, is me leaving and not spending any money there.

That being said, I look about as far from a 'gang banger' or 'thug' as humanly possible so I doubt I would have issues either way.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    The Mall doesn't need any RS or PC to wand or search. It's private property and they can require you consent to any kind of search to enter. Whether they have any reason or not.

Kind of like the TSA, but big business instead of big government.

Please, counselor, point out where the public city owned property and the private property separate at Circle Center.

I'll wait.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I drove up Illinois Street as I do every Monday at the same time, around 7:00 PM, and the entire intersection at CC was completely void of people. I've never seen it like that before. Granted, there was a game going on at the Field House, but there was nobody at all at CC.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I'm not doubting that you know your job, but merely trying to understand it from an outsider's perspective.

The end result, if I were to get stopped, would be me refusing the search and simply leaving the premises. Simply having a firearm on me (which is what you suspect) isn't illegal and even if you did see it print or knew I had it - I'd provide you my LTCH and be on my way (even if that meant leaving to avoid trespass).

The end result, no matter how you slice it, is me leaving and not spending any money there.

That being said, I look about as far from a 'gang banger' or 'thug' as humanly possible so I doubt I would have issues either way.

Can't be trespassed on public property :yesway:

I'll edit this, as yes per the silly law about private corporations on public property. But my opinion is public property is public property period. I had thread a couple years ago about the ribfest wanting to search hand bags and persons. I politely told them to shove it.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I remember reading an IC saying that they could search everybody as a condition of entry, but could not do it selectively but for the life of me cannot find it again.... Uggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. It was legal so long as you had the option to leave without being searched... Hopefully I'm not losing it here.

INgunowner

ARC Solutions
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Henry County
    I would go just to be profiled, I have always wondered what it feels like to be selected for harassment based solely on someones ignorant, paranoid, and/or uneducated view of the world.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I would go just to be profiled, I have always wondered what it feels like to be selected for harassment based solely on someones ignorant, paranoid, and/or uneducated view of the world.

Maybe I need to use bigger print as it looks like people can't read. We are looking for bangers. Those are the ones giving us the most problems. Bangers are identified by colors and tats. Bangers like to be armed. We like to unarm bangers. If you are not a banger, you're golden. How many times do I have to say this? We are not looking for customers of the mall. Bangers are not customers. If you want to get "profiled", dress/act accordingly.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Maybe I need to use bigger print as it looks like people can't read. We are looking for bangers. Those are the ones giving us the most problems. Bangers are identified by colors and tats. Bangers like to be armed. We like to unarm bangers. If you are not a banger, you're golden. How many times do I have to say this? We are not looking for customers of the mall. Bangers are not customers. If you want to get "profiled", dress/act accordingly.
    if they listened to you, they would have nothing to complain about

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Stated up thread....wear the uniform....pay the price.
    Stay home or act accordingly.

Some are listening.

Some just like to stir the pile.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Depending on who was on the door and they saw you "Print" would be the question. Banger or not.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville

Colours and tats.... What about Pants on the Ground? Oh yea, I forgot, if they have Pants on the Ground, you know they are not packing!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County

I hear you fine, I'm just trying to understand the underlying details is all. I'm a cracker and there is no mistaking that!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    No, I retain 100% LEO powers off-duty. Your OPINION might be that we lose LEO powers working off-duty but we do not. I can wander off-duty in the mall and arrest someone if warranted.

You can wander off-duty all you like and arrest.

So if you make an unconstitutional arrest as a mall employee, how does the doctrine of respondeat superior (let the superior answer) apply? Is the employer the one violating the right, since you're working as his agent? But employers, being private actors, cannot violate Constitutional rights.

Sounds like a license to violate rights. Hire police to act both as police and agents, and then raise the defense of 'not a state action' when it goes too far.

Is gang-banger garb RS for a Terry Stop? What if someone gives you a dirty look, also RS?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You can wander off-duty all you like and arrest.

So if you make an unconstitutional arrest as a mall employee, how does the doctrine of respondeat superior (let the superior answer) apply? Is the employer the one violating the right, since you're working as his agent? But employers, being private actors, cannot violate Constitutional rights.

Sounds like a license to violate rights. Hire police to act both as police and agents, and then raise the defense of 'not a state action' when it goes too far.

Is gang-banger garb RS for a Terry Stop? What if someone gives you a dirty look, also RS?

There is no such defense as "not a state action" when taking police action. Our authority is given by the state...to use it it MUST be a state action. Working off-duty for Conseco, Lucas Oil Stadium, Circle Center, bars, clubs, restaurants, local little league...etc, does not allow us to violate the law. While private security at the mall MAY be able to search w/o RS, the LEO cannot regardless of who is paying him/her. I would like to see a case where an officer was using the "not a state action" as a defense. Well, since gang activity is illegal that is enough for Terry. Anyone who knows anything about gangs can spot a banger a mile away. Clothing, tatoos, hand signs, etc. They advertise the fact, it's not rocket science.

Top Bottom