• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Wow! The list of mild cigars is huge but I would probably recommend an Ashton Classic, AVO, Macanudo, or maybe a Gispert for starters....... Look for hand mades if you really want a good smoke but be prepared to pay the price for quality. I smoked cigars for 40 years until last year when the new administration passed the SCHIP bill. Still miss my Partagas Black rubustos and a shot of Glenlivet ala Denny Crane.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm looking for a cigar recommendation. I gave up cigarettes about a year ago and would like to have a cigar around for special occasions. Not really sure what I'm looking for except something that is mild with some tobacco flavor. I guess I'm looking for a starter cigar if such a thing exists.

Thanks

Wow! The list of mild cigars is huge but I would probably recommend an Ashton Classic, AVO, Macanudo, or maybe a Gispert for starters.......
    In the mild cigar category those are all excellent choices, but watch out because not all the AVO cigars are rated as mild. Ashton will be the most expensive. Macanudo is the most popular cigar in the US right now, its a very good quality cigar, middle priced at $4.50 to $8.50 per cigar depending on the size/shape.

Any good cigar shop will have plenty of choices. Realize that two cigars of identical tobacco, but of different shape will taste different so shape does affect the smoke. "Fat" cigars, those with a larger ring gauge tend to smoke cooler than "thin" cigars and that can dramatically affect the flavor you taste so try out several different similar cigars to see what appeals to you. I prefer the 'robusto' sized cigars others like a 'corona' and others the 'churchill' shape. There are many more.

Also don't be afraid of the black cigars, those with maduro wrappers. Many are very mild and the fermented wrapper can impart a mildly sweet (not like candy) flavor to the cigar.

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    I must smoke one of the few Padron Anniversario's Torpedo's I have left tonight, but it is not a mild smoke but tastes so good. Funny thing is I have NEVER smoked a cigarette but love a good cigar.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    One of the things we do is review Cigar Bars and Shops. I did not even bother to do one at the Indy Cigar Bar. Not impressed.- Geogre

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Also when ready try some Rocky Patel's.
    The Edge is a great smoke. The Edge light might be an option too. I'm also a fan of their cameroon legend!

When's the INGO Smokefest???

bradp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Jamestown, IN
    When I lived in Atlanta I used go to to the great smoke in ATL and boy do I miss that. Lots of freebees. My 2nd job was working at the Tinder Box in the Mall of Georgia. I miss the free samples too.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    Any good cigar shop will have plenty of choices. Realize that two cigars of identical tobacco, but of different shape will taste different so shape does affect the smoke. "Fat" cigars, those with a larger ring gauge tend to smoke cooler than "thin" cigars and that can dramatically affect the flavor you taste so try out several different similar cigars to see what appeals to you. I prefer the 'robusto' sized cigars others like a 'corona' and others the 'churchill' shape. There are many more.

Also don't be afraid of the black cigars, those with maduro wrappers. Many are very mild and the fermented wrapper can impart a mildly sweet (not like candy) flavor to the cigar.

I'm just a little overwhelmed by the number of cigars at the local smoke shop. Just a little intimidating for someone who knows little or nothing about them. I tried to find something I'd like by smell but I couldn't really pick out the smell in the humidor.

Good info on the sizes, that was something I was going to ask. I guess I should find one I like and experiment with different sizes.

Thank you.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I enjoy many of the brands noted here....especially the Java's and the Rocky Patel....

My favorite is to sit in my hot tub with a snifter of Drambui up with a nice cigar, music and some good friends...an unbeatable combination...

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I enjoy many of the brands noted here....especially the Java's and the Rocky Patel....

My favorite is to sit in my hot tub with a snifter of Drambui up with a nice cigar, music and some good friends...an unbeatable combination...

That's a good call. many a supoerbowl 1/2 times have been spent that way in my past!

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    The problem with asking the person at the smoke shop for recommendations is that the people at the smoke shops here (2 at least, so far) don't seem to know anything about cigars. I stopped at a place on the way home and the lady seemed to know the name macanudo but had no idea where they were kept. We ended up looking through all the different boxes they had and finally found some on one wall of the humidor. There looked to be about 15 different variants of macanudo cigars on the shelf and I had no idea which I should get. I asked the lady which was the most popular and she was little help.. I grabbed a hampton court, was this a good choice? Are they really all the same, just different sizes?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    In addition to the other ones mentioned, take a look at the Cusano 18 connetticutt and the Sol Cubano connetticutt. As far as online retailers go, Cigar.com has about the best customer service of any I've ever dealt with. I've met the founder, Alex Svenson, a time or two and all of his employees have tremendous expertise and are willing to help you out with dang near anything. Their one-day-deal on fridays is usually phenomenal.

I would suggest you give them a ring or email, or join thier forum and they will definitely hook you up.

Best

Joe

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    The problem with asking the person at the smoke shop for recommendations is that the people at the smoke shops here (2 at least, so far) don't seem to know anything about cigars. I stopped at a place on the way home and the lady seemed to know the name macanudo but had no idea where they were kept. We ended up looking through all the different boxes they had and finally found some on one wall of the humidor. There looked to be about 15 different variants of macanudo cigars on the shelf and I had no idea which I should get. I asked the lady which was the most popular and she was little help.. I grabbed a hampton court, was this a good choice? Are they really all the same, just different sizes?

I am not sure whereabouts you live but I use to go in a place called Strictly Men, they cut guys hair there too, a Husband and Wife deal, I think the guy tacked on a cigar store to his wifes barbershop. They were always in there smoking so they should know whats up. It's in Calumet City, Illinois just on the Hammond, Indiana border.

Strictly Men Tobacco - Google Maps

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale

I would say that you made an excellent choice in a mild cigar but you didn't say which size you purchased. You would be amazed at the difference in taste of the same cigar in different sizes. And to your question are they all the same? Absolutely not, different blends, different wrappers, different sizes all equal different tastes. After a while you'll be able to pick up on the nuances. Then you may decide to try some of the fuller flavored sticks that I used to enjoy. Practice practice practice.

Top Bottom