• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Find a local cigar shop and visit with the proprietor. Buy one cigar at a time and go for it until you find one you like in the price range you are comfortable with. Cigars are like ice cream, hard to say that strawberry is really better than chocolate, it is a matter of taste. I like em all, but I do have my favorites. But I might like one for after dinner, and another in the field or at work, and still another for long drives in the car.

Good luck.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    That's why I gave you a link to download an Intro to Cigars book. It would tell you all about this.

Yep, if you mean the "newbie info" I was just reading through that info. Thanks

Did you go to an actual cigar/tobacco shop, or was it something like a Smoke Shop or Low Bob's? An actual cigar/tobacco shop owner should know how to help you.

I'm guessing the former. I'll dig around and see if I can find a mom and pop place. All else fails I might make a run to melensdads place. Somebody suggested a place in IL but I try to avoid shopping there if I can.

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    Yep, if you mean the "newbie info" I was just reading through that info. Thanks

:yesway: My pleasure. It should really help. I've never bought a humidor from that site, so I don't know it they are any good.

I'm guessing the former. I'll dig around and see if I can find a mom and pop place. All else fails I might make a run to melensdads place. Somebody suggested a place in IL but I try to avoid shopping there if I can.

You and me both, although a couple years ago a buddy and I found ourselves with some time to spare in Danville, IL, and discovered a really nice cigar shop there.

Happy hunting!

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    So last night I decided to try the other cigar we picked up a few nights ago a CAO Criollo. Overall I thought it was ok. It didn't seem to have any particular taste, it just seemed to be an acidic smoke. I'm not sure if I'm missing the taste because the cigar had been out of the humidor for a few days or if its because I'm smoking in the garage, where its really cold.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    Anybody here ever check out Stogies On Columbia in Lafayette? I bought cigars in there before for a bachelor party. They also had pipes and pipe tobacco and a few humidors.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    So last night I decided to try the other cigar we picked up a few nights ago a CAO Criollo. Overall I thought it was ok. It didn't seem to have any particular taste, it just seemed to be an acidic smoke. I'm not sure if I'm missing the taste because the cigar had been out of the humidor for a few days or if its because I'm smoking in the garage, where its really cold.

I like CAO cigars in general. I do NOT like the criollo. Overpriced and IMO a bad smoke. Try their Gold or Brazilia if you're newer. Also, I like all of their l'anverario line. I like the cameroon version the best.

Last edited:

Armed & Christian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    MSG2 S.E. INDY
    I'm not sure if I'm missing the taste because the cigar had been out of the humidor for a few days or if its because I'm smoking in the garage, where its really cold.

It's hard to enjoy a good smoke when you're shivering your a$$ off. Having to smoke mine in the garage is definitely the #1 contributing factor to my cigar supply staying replenished during the winter.

All the cigar stores I've been to have an area you can sit and smoke in the store.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    I like CAO cigars in general. I do NOT like the criollo. Overpriced and IMO a bad smoke. Try their Gold or Brazilia if your newer. Also I like all of their l'anverario line. I like the cameroon version the best.

I bought it and another before posting here. I certainly finished and enjoyed it but I was hoping to find something with more of a tobacco flavor. Looking at cigar.com they consider it a full flavored cigar. I guess I'm missing the flavor. I don't know the ring size of the one I had though.

Macundo Hampton Court is up next. Probably tomorrow after work. :40oz:

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I bought it and another before posting here. I certainly finished and enjoyed it but I was hoping to find something with more of a tobacco flavor. Looking at cigar.com they consider it a full flavored cigar. I guess I'm missing the flavor. I don't know the ring size of the one I had though.

Macundo Hampton Court is up next. Probably tomorrow after work. :40oz:

Look for the Hampton Court (a size in Macanudo's line BTW) 3 -Pack. You get a regular conneticut wrapper, a maduro, and a robust. It's almost like getting one free.

Also the criollo will have been stronger/fuller than any of the 3 in that 3 pack above.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I miss the big Cigar fad of the 90s. I used to go to vendor parties after a trade show and everyone and their mother was throwing free premium cigars at you! Those were the good old days.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I can't believe nobody has suggested Back Woods cigars. Good stuff.

BackwoodsLogo.jpeg

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    If you are looking for more of a tobacco taste why not try a good full bodied stick like a La Flor Dominicana Ligero L300? It's a 5.7X50 beauty that you might really like. The same goes for the Partagas Black Clasico 5.2X54, one of my personal favorites. Your local tobacconist should have them both on the shelf.

Keep us posted.

Top Bottom