cheap (but not junk) turkey gun - 500-535-870?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I know this has probably been done to death (yes, I have read several threads) but here goes.....never been much of a shotgun guy, but I'm starting to hear some gobblers calling my name. I'm wanting to start hunting them (probably by next spring season, possibly this fall).

Anyway, I'm currently leaning towards the Mossberg 535 turkey/waterfowl combo. My other choices are a Remington 870 or Mossy 500.

I don't know if I "need" the 3 1/2" chamber but something is telling me to get it in case.....well anyway.....

Turkey is really the only hunting I have any interest in so a "turkey only" gun would do me just fine. It just seems I've seen some decent deals on the combos.

I do want it to be in camoflauge as well, and one more thing................I acquired a gift card from Gander Mountain (Bleh! LOL) so I'll use the gift card to knock off the high marked up BS that is Gander gouging....also, will look into price matching if they do anything like that....AND I will not be in a hurry so hopefully I can wait for a sale and not get gouged too much...

Oh, price is a big factor. I talked the better half into a shotgun ....because I had to use that gift card on something LOL..... and funds are tight so it will more than likely go into layaway, and needs to stay under $500, preferably less...just dont wanna go "too" cheap and end up with junk.

Again, something really is telling me I want the 535 Mossy, so talk me in/out of it.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    I killed a turkey this spring with my 870 (all black) & 3" shells at 42 yds. I had a Versamax & tried 3 1/2" shells for geese. It was not fun, it hurt, so I sold it. Can't speak to the Mossbergs, never had one.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Both brands are good serviceable shotguns. Both can be found inexpensively on the secondary market, and the 500 and 870 have tons of aftermarket stuff available. It all will come down to which feels better to you, and if you want a steel vs aluminum reciever. I have yet to find a need for the long 3.5" shells.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Both brands are good serviceable shotguns. Both can be found inexpensively on the secondary market, and the 500 and 870 have tons of aftermarket stuff available. It all will come down to which feels better to you, and if you want a steel vs aluminum reciever. I have yet to find a need for the long 3.5" shells.

Spot on, the safety on the Mossberg is on top of the receiver and the 870 is on the trigger guard, that's another point to consider. They both kill turkeys just as dead. I would not pay a premium for camo myself. Hunters have been killing turkeys without camo guns successfully since the first turkey hunt.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I'm an 870 fan. All the mossbergs I've ever shot have rattled and thats not good in the woods.

Use your gift card on a choke and find a used 870 at a local shop for a lot less.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I am a longtime Mossberg fan. I have had Remmys and they all shot well, but the finish always left a lot to be desired. I have always felt that Mossbergs were the best bang for the buck of the Big 3 shotgun makers. I turkey hunt with a Mossberg 835 and waterfowl with a 935. I use the 3 1/2 loads and have for years, but a 3 inch load will kill them just as dead and so will a 2 3/4 load. It is all a matter of knowing your limits and your shotguns limits before pulling the trigger.
    The shops here in SE Indiana are loaded with turkey specific 835's and 870's that are dipped in whatever Fashionflauge you want. Save some money and by a used one, then use the money you save for ammo. The Ulti-full choke that comes on the 835 is a .690 dimension and has out shot a lot of other aftermarket chokes I have tried. The newer X-Factor chokes are even better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I own a Few Mossbergs but not a 500. Love mine. Been reliable and accurate.
    Not a thing wrong with the 870 either. I think from what I have heard it would be the better choice between the 500. No knock just an opinion based on info I have read/heard.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I own a Few Mossbergs but not a 500. Love mine. Been reliable and accurate.
    Not a thing wrong with the 870 either. I think from what I have heard it would be the better choice between the 500. No knock just an opinion based on info I have read/heard.

Ah the epic "Remington 870 vs Mossberg 500" thread from last month...Good times that thread....:)::):
    Gotta go with Cathedralmouse on this one...Either will work but I use an 870 20 gauge youth for turkey and squirrel.....The older I get the more I love the 20 gauge and pontificating about why I love the 20 .......What were we talking about again???

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Steel shot and geese...........run a 3.5" rig.
    Outside of that, 3" is fine.

I do have an 870 Supermag, for turkey, but only run 3" in it.
    Got it because the turkey model has a 23" bbl and not 21". Makes it a little better for an "all arounder".

For geese though, I'd rather run 3" Bismuth (in an 1100 Magnum), even at the stupid price those shells command. Drops 'em like wet towels at 50 yards.

Have had 500's and 835's............my choice is 870/1100.
    If I needed a gun for a lefty, or for lefties and righties............I'd try BPS.

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    I know this has probably been done to death (yes, I have read several threads) but here goes.....never been much of a shotgun guy, but I'm starting to hear some gobblers calling my name. I'm wanting to start hunting them (probably by next spring season, possibly this fall).

Anyway, I'm currently leaning towards the Mossberg 535 turkey/waterfowl combo. My other choices are a Remington 870 or Mossy 500.

I don't know if I "need" the 3 1/2" chamber but something is telling me to get it in case.....well anyway.....

Turkey is really the only hunting I have any interest in so a "turkey only" gun would do me just fine. It just seems I've seen some decent deals on the combos.

I do want it to be in camoflauge as well, and one more thing................I acquired a gift card from Gander Mountain (Bleh! LOL) so I'll use the gift card to knock off the high marked up BS that is Gander gouging....also, will look into price matching if they do anything like that....AND I will not be in a hurry so hopefully I can wait for a sale and not get gouged too much...

Oh, price is a big factor. I talked the better half into a shotgun ....because I had to use that gift card on something LOL..... and funds are tight so it will more than likely go into layaway, and needs to stay under $500, preferably less...just dont wanna go "too" cheap and end up with junk.

Again, something really is telling me I want the 535 Mossy, so talk me in/out of it.

Without reading any of the thread, I vote 870. I've been hunting with my Express Magnum 20ga since I was 12? Nothing fancy about it, never had any issues and I've shot 1000's through it. It's killed lots of deer/turkey/squirrel/dove. Killed my first turkey 4 years ago with it. Those Federal 3" get the job done at 40 yards

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have had both the 500 and the 870 and ven a Win 1200/1300. I settled on a Remington 1100 semi auto and sold it off a few years later and bought a new Rem 1187 Sportsman camo 12ga. Hey! They were $498 new back in 2002/3 at Walmart. I would plunk down the money for a new 870/500 when you can easily get an auto for the same money or less. The 1187 runs around $450-550 used depending on camo/black. Remington 11-87 sportsman super mag 12 ga. camo : Semi Auto Shotguns at GunBroker.com

You can get a 1100 for around $200-450 depending on finish and extras and how proud the owner is of it. If you get a 1100, make sure it can chamber 3" shells. Not all do. All 1187's chamber 3" shells. They are easy to care for and my 1187 works everytime even in zero degree weather (I lube it with Tri-Flow).

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    Gun preference is up to what feels good to you. I stick to 3" shells. With a good tight choke a 3" will do plenty. I have known a few guys that could never get 3 1/2'ers to pattern well. Seems I read something back when the 3 1/2" came out that there is some relationship of bore to shot column that needs maintained for good patterns and the 3 1/2" does not follow that so it is an iffy proposition. If that technical mumbo jumbo is incorrect I go with I use 3" because I like my shoulder. I enjoy listening to my buddy's gripe about how bad their 3 1/2"ers kick.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the responses...just what I was looking for. I will look into the semis but think I want a pump. I'd like it in camo also but it's not a necessity. So far the Mossberg feels the best to me...not higher end built, I mean it seems to fit me better between it and the 870...found a friend who has both and he won't give me a preference, just says come over and shoot them, so I absolutely will. Thanks again for the feedback.

Last edited:

Icemancometh

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    SUNNY SIDE OF THE RIVER
    Mossberg 835 here. Slayed many a bird with it. I like the extra distance I get out of the 3.5" mag. Sounds unbelievable to me now, but I paid $269 for it NIB at Dicks Sporting Goods a few years back.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Well, decided on the Mossberg 835. Got the camo version and a 28" barrel. I know a lot of turkey specific guns are shorter but I like the 28", might do some trap shooting as well. Anyway, might be a bit but next task is to get some ammo and get some patterns going. Then maybe a different choke. We'l l see. Thanks for all of the advice.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom