• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Wow...that's NEVER happened here before...

:): Don't confuse me with the facts!

Seriously, my main concern here is data collection without good cause. If it is being done as a quality control measure, that is way overboard. Use pedometer or some other method. It's like saying that a parking attendant should record every license plate number just to prove he did not take a bathroom brake. Oh, and for good measure that list of plate numbers should be handed to the government for their databases.

The best protection of privacy is to not collect data every moment of every day. It is not to seek to collect data, seemingly for no really good reason, and then stockpile it for whatever use we might think of later.

There is no way to remove data from a data mining set. The only protection is not to collect it in the first place. And we seem to live in a time when the answer to every event is to data mine it and store the data even if we don't have a use for it yet.

The sense of privacy having value is no longer held high, or even taught. And that is what upsets me most about this new bit of data collection.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    +1 on the techres /\ /\ /\ /\

Where does that data go...... I'm sure it's completely safe and no harm can come of it... ever. :rolleyes:

ACORN is a politically based organization with a long history of FRAUD.
    4sarge is correct that they are involved.

Not the kind of people I want to be talking too on any level.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    :): Don't confuse me with the facts!

Seriously, my main concern here is data collection without good cause. If it is being done as a quality control measure, that is way overboard. Use pedometer or some other method. It's like saying that a parking attendant should record every license plate number just to prove he did not take a bathroom brake. Oh, and for good measure that list of plate numbers should be handed to the government for their databases.

The best protection of privacy is to not collect data every moment of every day. It is not to seek to collect data, seemingly for no really good reason, and then stockpile it for whatever use we might think of later.

There is no way to remove data from a data mining set. The only protection is not to collect it in the first place. And we seem to live in a time when the answer to every event is to data mine it and store the data even if we don't have a use for it yet.

The sense of privacy having value is no longer held high, or even taught. And that is what upsets me most about this new bit of data collection.

Some one who gets it :rockwoot:I have no problem with enumeration BUT the ACS BS questions are way beyond the Constitutional Parameters of enumeration :dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Some one who gets it :rockwoot:I have no problem with enumeration BUT the ACS BS questions are way beyond the Constitutional Parameters of enumeration :dunno:

Please show the section of the Constitution that limits them to enumeration. The Constitution gives Congress the power to decide what is and isn't collected. Not a single word there limiting Congress to enumeration only.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    4sarge, your article that you posted has a VERY clear and VERY bolded "Editorial" before it. Are we taking opinion and loosely conglomerated ideas as fact?

Vern, the other factual articles are there if you do a search, that was the first article that I came to yesterday. If you do a search here you will find the actual links and published facts. I've given up on reading comprehension from most site users and have found that the Progressives are doing a much better job in there disinformation campaign to stifle actual fact. All Hail OBama :rolleyes:

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I didn't think the connection to the census and ACORN was something people were unaware of. Here is a link to Fox News.

ACORN to Play Role in 2010 Census - Political News - FOXNews.com

The role that ACORN is playing is one that involves the recruitment of census workers. Couple that with the ongoing controversy of their recent recruitment tactics and I can see how some may be alarmed. That being said, actual ACORN employees don't seem to be those involved going door to door.

The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now signed on as a national partner with the U.S. Census Bureau in February 2009 to assist with the recruitment of the 1.4 million temporary workers needed to go door-to-door to count every person in the United States -- currently believed to be more than 306 million people.
    A U.S. Census "sell sheet," an advertisement used to recruit national partners, says partnerships with groups like ACORN "play an important role in making the 2010 Census successful," including by "help[ing] recruit census workers."
    The bureau is currently employing help from more than 250 national partners, including TARGET and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), to assist in the hiring effort.

On another note, techres is spot on regarding privacy. Whenever I hear the phrase, "...nothing to hide..." I immediately know I am dealing with a person that does not understand privacy and why its such an important natural right. I heard a prominent AM talk show host the other day provide some insight to the census that I had never really thought of. To paraphrase: The census is supposed to be a head count of US citizens to allow for fair representation in Washington. Everything else they ask, is simply data mining to provide them with justification to levy taxes here and there, and then where to decide to spend the money they just took. Why should I arm them with this information when, in the end, its going to cost me money?

But, you say, this data can be shared with your local municipalities to better your community. That may well be true, but that is also Federalism. We already have too much control federally on matters that should be left to the states or local governments. When a large federal entity is calling shots locally communities breakdown and bureaucracies set in. Ever get something from the Feds (which took it from you initially) without strings attached? Empower citizens to act locally. This is why we have town, county, city boards. Government operates at its peak when you know the people who are doing the governing. They are your neighbors, not a faceless bureaucrat 1000 miles away.

Last edited:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    4sarge, your article that you posted has a VERY clear and VERY bolded "Editorial" before it. Are we taking opinion and loosely conglomerated ideas as fact?

From Judicial Watch

Judicial Watch Obtains Obama Commerce Department Documents Detailing ACORN Partnership for 2010 Census | Judicial Watch

Census Bureau refuses to partner with "Hate Groups, Law Enforcement, Anti-Immigrant Groups"

Contact Information:
    Press Office 202-646-5172, ext 305
    Washington, DC -- May 28, 2009

Judicial Watch, the public interest group that investigates and prosecutes government corruption, announced today that it has obtained documents from the U.S. Census Bureau detailing the substantial involvement of the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN) in the 2010 Census. Included among the 126 pages of documents, obtained by Judicial Watch under threat of a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit, is ACORN's original Census partnership application. The document describes 18 different areas of responsibility requested by the community organization, which is under investigation in multiple states for illegal activity during the 2008 election, including voter registration fraud.

The documents also list the types of organizations ineligible for partnering with the U.S. Census. They include: "...Hate groups, Law enforcement, anti-immigrant groups, any groups that might make people fearful of participating in the Census..." The release of these Obama Commerce Department documents comes in the wake of an Obama Department of Homeland Security report released in April linking opposition to illegal immigration to "rightwing extremist radicalization."

In its official statement responding to the ACORN controversy, the Obama Commerce Department downplayed ACORN's participation in the Census, and labeled "baseless" the notion that ACORN would be involved in any Census count. However, the Census Bureau offered ACORN the opportunity to "recruit Census workers" who would participate in the count. Moreover, as an "executive level" partner, ACORN has the ability to "organize and/or serve as a member on a Complete Count Committee," which, according to Census documents, helps "develop and implement locally based outreach and recruitment campaigns."

According to its application ACORN also signed up to: "Encourage employees and constituents to complete and mail their questionnaire; identify job candidates and/or distribute and display recruiting materials; appoint a liaison to work with the Census Bureau; provide space for Be Counted sites and/or Questionnaire Assistance Centers; sponsor community events to promote participation in the 2010 Census," among 18 requested areas of responsibility. The documents also show the decision to add ACORN as a partner occurred in February, long after the January 15th Census partnership application deadline. (One Census official had bet "it was under Bush.")

Among other conclusions from the documents:
    • The Census Bureau requested that ACORN "help us highlight [ACORN's] innovation and hard work and share best practices so other organizations can learn from your experiences."
    • Members of the Census Bureau and Department of Commerce staff assigned to organize the 2010 Census were unaware of when the decision to involve ACORN was made, how the Census Bureau choose and defined partners, or whether partners received payment.
    • The Census Bureau did not conduct background checks on the 3.7 million people hired to conduct the 2000 Census, unless a preliminary name check provided a match. Overall, 8% of the applicants, or over 300,000 people, were considered risks for hire.
    According to the U.S. Census documents, among other things, census data is used to allocate $300 billion in federal funds. Census data also "determines how many seats each state will have in the House of Representatives as well as the redistricting of state legislatures, county and city councils, and voting districts."

"Given its history of illegal activity and fraud, ACORN should be nowhere near the 2010 Census," said Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton. "And shame on the Obama Commerce Department for continuing to demonize conservatives by lumping together law enforcement and anti-immigration groups with 'hate groups.' This discriminatory policy raises First Amendment concerns. Indeed, these documents provide further evidence that the Obama administration is politicizing the 2010 Census."

Judicial Watch filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request with the Census on March 23, 2009. After the Obama Commerce Department stonewalled, Judicial Watch filed a lawsuit on May 14, 2009. The documents were released to Judicial Watch on May 15, 2009.

Annie Oakley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Rural southern Indiana
    ACORN being anywhere near the census makes me feel a bit nauseous. Someone was at my door a few weeks ago wanting to "verify" my address. I told them they could get it off my mail box and closed the door. Sarge and Techres are right on track as far as I am concerned.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    ACORN, or actual census workers? Sorry I'm not up on this and asking ?s.

I went to our City Building a couple weeks ago and while there, picked up some pamplets - "Census 2010 Employment Infomation" which list the positions available and what is required to apply. So, apparently ACORN isn't going to be everywhere.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Why should they know when you leave for work? Why should they know how long it takes you to get to work?
    I know that it was said that they needed the info to determine traffic patterns. But, I don't like those questions. So, I have an answer for them IF I get one of those forms.

For the first one: Time varies or no set time.
    For the second one: Route varies or no set route.

Who knows who will get the info from the forms? With ACORN involved, I wouldn't want them to know when I wouldn't be home. (Even tho my son would probably be here while I am gone.)

I beleive that if ACORN wasn't involved, there wouldn't be quite the uproar. (But, invasion of privacy is just cause for complaint)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Thanks for the link, tenring. I printed it out to study. It's nice to know that there would be documentation of them promising to keep the information where it belongs, just in case they don't. :D

(We all know how reliable the government/employees are, don't we. :rolleyes:)

Top Bottom