• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The firearm magically going off is not a concern to most people, IMO. I think it mostly comes from a subconscious fear of the possibility of an attacker trying to gain control of the firearm. I think you should carry it as you feel comfortable. You should seek sufficient firearms training to make you fully comfortable knowing it won't fire on its own and to build your confidence with the weapon. You should also seek sufficient force on force training to know how to engage a potential attacker trying to strip you of your weapon. In the civilian world, no firearm or firearm training is adequate replacement for hand to hand skills. One should know at least enough to get to a point of being able to use the weapon. This training will provide a greater confidence in carrying with one hot.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Yes, I carry my (non external safety) weapon "unchambered" as well. A friend of mine gives me a hard time about it for most of the reasons mentioned above. I understand these, but I also feel that the "odds" of something coming up on me suddenly are slim and I feel safer without it chambered. I use situational awareness. If I am in a situation where I feel more threatened I will carry it chambered. I know some people will say, why take the chance? And then I wonder how many of them smoke, don't wear a seat belt, a motorcycle helmet, etc. Because of a comfort, enjoyment level. IMHO I think you should do what feels right for you. The suggestions that you ease yourself into it I think are excellent. But I also think one needs a little fear and respect of one's weapon. Too much comfort leads to carelessness.

But also know, WTSHTF, I will be totally locked and loaded. (And maybe my guns will be too :):)

Just curious, would you feel safe having your seatbelt off, thinking you could put it on when you you are driving in more dangerous situations?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My EDC is a Glock and I keep one in the chamber.
    I will admit several years ago when I got my first Glock I was hesitant about carrying one in the pipe as well. After getting more familiar with the firearm and training with it I became comfortable carrying it chambered and now would not consider carrying it any other way.

Main thing is get a quality holster that covers the trigger guard and practice the rules of gun safety at all times!

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    thanks everyone for the educated responses. I do think that being new to carrying gave me the fear of an accidental discharge or mishap. I have since got a custom fit kydex holster for the lc9 and i love it and the way it locks the gun in place and it has given me more confidence. Now i am already thinking about ordering one for the g26.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    One in the chamber at all time. My finger lays to the side of the slide. The draw and chamber is a "fine" motor skill. That means that you have to do too much to pull the trigger in a stressful situation. A "gross" motor skill is very simple, you pull and shoot. One will always revert to their original training during a stressfull situation. I've seen people buy new level III holster and vapor lock at the range. Keep it as simple as possible.

Casey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Some people seem to think it takes 5 minutes to cock a gun or something.

Just practice cocking when you practice drawing, like in the helpful video above.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart

Just practice cocking when you practice drawing, like in the helpful video above.

Are you talking about cocking the hammer or racking the slide?

If you're talking about racking the slide, I assume you practice drawing and racking the slide one handed in a stressful situation? Because if you've screwed up and the BG is RIGHT THERE and you're fending him off with one hand and you draw your gun, you've effectively pulled out a club unless you're damn good and damn fast at racking that slide one handed. Because in that situation you need a gun RIGHT NOW, and a club isn't going to be as helpful.

Last edited:

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

Train like you just got shot in your weak hand, strong hand or had someone grab for your pistol. Now what you gonna do? If there isn't one in the chamber you could try using it like a club or try to rack the slide by catching the rear sight on the edge of a table (hope you get assaulted in a restaurant :( ). You had better also think about what you're gonna do if you have someone's arm pinned on your weapon and you're in a desperate fight. Do you have a nasty knife to start hurting him with your other hand?

You also need to be sure you can hold the pistol (versus a revolver) with enough stiffness one handed that the weapon fails to eject or chamber a new round because you're limp-wristing.

Now, have a nice day:D

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    We also have young children in the house (7, 4, & 3) so we have made the choice to not carry with a round in the chamber such that we will not forget to unload it while in the house, just in case one of the kids would get their hands on one and be able to shoot it.

This is why I love my biometric safe and that I own a Ruger SR9c. The safe because as long as the gun goes back in there when I get home, it is always safe from my 5 year old daughter. If she can figure out how to get in there, then I've got bigger issues. As far as the gun itself, I can visually see if a round is chambered, and the magazine disconnect ensures that as stored it won't fire (I know, I know, I don't 100% trust it, but it's a nice feature). When I return home it always is unloaded, chamber emptied and stored in the safe. Do not pass go, do not collect $200. While an unloaded gun is never a safe gun (because a gun is always loaded, even when it isn't), I feel confident that as secured, my daughter is safe.

Then again, YMMV, and what works for you works for you. This is what works for me. I'd just as soon not have to rack the slide in a dangerous situation and add any extra time to a situation when I can simply keep one in the chamber and be ready.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Seatbelt

Just curious, would you feel safe having your seatbelt off, thinking you could put it on when you you are driving in more dangerous situations?

No, but my point was the poster's comfort level, not what I would do. Some people won't put a seat belt on just pulling out of the drive for short trips. Others don't wear them at all. Some, like me, wear them all the time. I also don't smoke and would always wear a motorcycle helmet. I don't think the government should tell me, or anyone over the age of 18, I have to, but I would do it because it makes me feel safe. If a seat belt didn't make me feel safe when I wore one, it wouldn't matter to me if a bunch of people told me "what's the use of having it." Not to get too far off point, it's just my opinion that if one didn't feel comfortable having the gun chambered it would be up to them. I'm not going to judge them and I'm at an age where I don't care what anyone thinks of me. But again, I understand the reasoning behind having a round chambered.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    In Practice

If you do not have one in the chamber someone could have a knife through your throat before you get one chambered

That's very possible. But here is a real life example. My wife used to manage a store. She had an assistant manager that had a gun with him when he slept. His former brother-in-law, cut the phone line to the house (and power?) dressed to kill. He forced his way into the house at night and ended up murdering my wife's assistant manager, the AM wife and the AM's sister. My wife's manager got off one shot (I will assumed it was chambered or if it wasn't he had time to do so). But he was caught asleep. This can be taken for pro having the gun chambered, but in the end, the element of surprise and a man bent on murder, killed him.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    No I do not carry unchambered. I feel it puts you in danger should a fast and furious assult take place. However, one must do what they feel comfortable with. But as long as your trigger guard is covered a Glock or like pistol is as safe as one with a safety. Just think about the hundreds of thousands of law enforcement officers carring Glocks everyday. I know after 5 years the thought of my sidearm being loaded never even crosses my mind. I have been through windows, creeks, woods, in the wind, snow and rain and my Glock has always been safe and never let me down.

TruxLupus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    If I wanted to carry around a useless brick of steel I could probably find one for a lot cheaper than $400-$500.

Yes, I carry a round chambered always.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I got my LTCH in June and my first gun (Glock 19) shortly after. I carried with an empty chamber everyday. Only recently I started to carry with one in the pipe. I carried an empty chamber for so long because it was my first gun, being new to owning and carrying a firearm and being nervous. But I've been using training rounds and walking around my house with one of those chambered. Just had to get used to it.

I made the change after I was comfortable and it if I need it instantly, I don't want to waste precious seconds racking the slide.

Heck, you don't even need a training round. Just rack the slide (or pull it back far enough to reset the trigger) before inserting your mag. If the trigger gets pulled, you're doing something wrong.

I did this mainly around the house with my first carry pistol that didn't have a thumb safety.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Just started carrying a PF9 from my XDm 40.... jesus my pants don't droop near as much.

But still none in the chamber.

Clearing the holster, racking and aiming seem to be for me a smooth motion completed fairly quickly. I see just too many stupid accidents where if most safety practices where followed would amount to nothing more than a scratch but that more than not isn't the case. The few moments it takes me to pull and rack are in my mind acceptable. I find the thought of an accidental discharge unacceptable. There's a family who lives above me and my children when they are with me... I owe it to them to take all precautions when possible. I applaud those who can carry condition 1 but at this point eight now its not for me.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Just started carrying a PF9 from my XDm 40.... jesus my pants don't droop near as much.

But still none in the chamber.

Clearing the holster, racking and aiming seem to be for me a smooth motion completed fairly quickly. I see just too many stupid accidents where if most safety practices where followed would amount to nothing more than a scratch but that more than not isn't the case. The few moments it takes me to pull and rack are in my mind acceptable. I find the thought of an accidental discharge unacceptable. There's a family who lives above me and my children when they are with me... I owe it to them to take all precautions when possible. I applaud those who can carry condition 1 but at this point eight now its not for me.

See below..

If you are talking about racking the slide... tell it to this guy, oh wait, you can't, he's DEAD..

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=086_1260862712

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

Under stress you have to do the thing that is the most simple way of completing a given task. I would say that pulling a gun out to defend yourself fits the bill. Also remember if you realize that you are in danger you are almost two seconds behind that person. If you are in a position to expect someting, you are still almost a second behind. Think about it, you are on the range and you are waiting for a target to turn towards you...how long does it take for your weapon out and send one down range.

Top Bottom