• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    As others have replied, do what works for you. Most would agree that the purpose of carrying is to have it ready to go at a moment's notice. However, the NEXT best thing would be to at least have it on hand (even i f not condition 1). I carried without one in the pipe for a month, then started going out C1. Even if unloaded, better to have it onhand :)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    101 years ago a pistol was invented (yeah, I know but need to work in the 1911 angle) with a magic device that eliminated these concerns.

85 years after this death, people still seek what John Moses Browning has already solved.

MVC-845F.JPG

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    ^ agreed. After some time carrying without a dry "UD", you might change your mind...or not.

I've heard that the difference between chambered and unchambered is about 0.5 second. I think that was between the 2.0 - 2.5 second window (assuming a holstered pistol). What bothers me most isn't the 0.5 second window itself. It is what I might need the weak hand for during the half-second while it was needed for racking the slide.

IIRC, youtube has a video on it.
    Not having a round in the chamber and not having both hands available to rack one could mean the difference between win or going to Croak City. Also do some reading on the Glock firing pin block safety. The pin is blocked until the trigger bar pushes the stud down to free the block. You can't push the firing pin forward without the stud moving.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Not having a round in the chamber and not having both hands available to rack one could mean the difference between win or going to Croak City. Also do some reading on the Glock firing pin block safety. The pin is blocked until the trigger bar pushes the stud down to free the block. You can't push the firing pin forward without the stud moving.

The OP is just getting started. Hopefully he'll feel comfortable carrying with a round in the chamber, before he gets to the whole, "watchdog over all of society" stage.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Cominolli Custom makes the "Glock Manual Safety Kits"

Premier Arms in Brownsburg, IN is an authorized installer for them.

My Glocks have very light triggers and I'm OK with this until I need to unholster them while away from my home. This can occur when doing errands to the "prohibited carry zones" and have to leave them in the car.

Compare-Glock-Factory-External-Safety-vs-Caminilli-External-Safety.jpg

cigarman454

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    East Central, IN
    I've owned Glocks since they first came out (a long time ago) took some getting used to but it made me keep my finger out of the trigger and always know where the muzzle was pointed (this we should do anyways) now I don't think any thing about it it's normal. I was carrying my Kimber last week and a friend ask if I always keep that hammer cocked I laughed and said at least it has a safety on it. No pun intended to striker fired pistols my G20 is my EDC.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I never carry a weapon that is not ready to fight. Those extra seconds can make a big difference if you are in a life threatening situation. If you feel more comfortable with the LC9 then carry it for awhile. I am sure after some time the Glock with feel just fine chambered while carrying. Remember buy a good holster and the only safety you need will be the one God gave you next to your thumb.

Tebow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Whiting, IN
    I tell this to all new gun owners. If they don't feel comfortable carrying chambered, I say; "Hey, buy yourself a few snap caps, load one in the chamber, and walk around your house for a few weeks. Bet that snap cap/dummy round will still be in the same status it was when you placed it there weeks ago. They get comfortable with knowing their gun won't randomly discharge the weapon when secured in a quality holster (there are ALWAYS exceptions of course).

Good for you man. :ingo: :yesway:

Yeah, I think I remember reading one of your posts a while back saying that. Good thing about them is their multiple uses. Practicing to have one in the chamber, dry-firing, malfunction drills.. All that good stuff.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Its common for folks to be a little unsure of carrying in Condition 1 (round in chamber).

A weekend of professional training will boost your confidence and give you the experience you need to shake off the nerves.

:yesway: training is always +1 :twocents:

glocks can have thumb safeties installed but they were not designed to have a thumb safety so :dunno:

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Ensure that your Glock is carried in a quality holster that completely covers the trigger and you should have little to worry about. I would avoid nylon holsters or any others that lack stiffness. You don't want your holster to bunch up in the trigger guard upon re-holstering.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread, but yet another alternative is a trigger block...a simple piece of plastic that lodges behind the trigger so it can't be pulled. It is easily pushed out by a finger on its way to the trigger. I believe it is faster than racking a slide, but the downside one might forget it is there only to have your first trigger pull be ineffective and a fatal mistake.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    My G17 always has one in the tube... If I need to have the element of surprise, I would prefer the sound of 'racking the slide' not give away my intentions or position.

How you carry is a matter of preference, comfort, and confidence. All these grow with practice and experience. Why you carry will ultimately determine what steps you take (in advance) to give you the tactical advantage in a bad situation.

Hoosier1816

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    So do I

Yes, I carry my (non external safety) weapon "unchambered" as well. A friend of mine gives me a hard time about it for most of the reasons mentioned above. I understand these, but I also feel that the "odds" of something coming up on me suddenly are slim and I feel safer without it chambered. I use situational awareness. If I am in a situation where I feel more threatened I will carry it chambered. I know some people will say, why take the chance? And then I wonder how many of them smoke, don't wear a seat belt, a motorcycle helmet, etc. Because of a comfort, enjoyment level. IMHO I think you should do what feels right for you. The suggestions that you ease yourself into it I think are excellent. But I also think one needs a little fear and respect of one's weapon. Too much comfort leads to carelessness.

But also know, WTSHTF, I will be totally locked and loaded. (And maybe my guns will be too :):)

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    For those that may be somewhat reticent, a revisiting of Rule 4 or the "Golden Rule" may be of some benefit:

"Keep your finger off the trigger until the sights are aligned on target."

Most all modern weapons are designed to be carried with a full magazine and round in the chamber. The owner's manuals for most weapons will state not to carry a round chambered, that drivel is from their product liability attorneys.

I can understand some initial reticence carrying a semi auto "fully loaded."

My suggestion is to take the weapon out, put some rounds through it, fully clean it, load it fully and lay it down in a safe place and see if it goes off by itself. If it does, get a new pistol.

Also, holster designs should be considered, fully covering the triggerguard when choosing holsters should be paramount.

Glock22-27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    When I got my license in the mail It wasn't even 30 minutes and I was OC'ing to 4-5 different businesses in my town with my glock 22 chambered of course.

Nothing like busting my OC cherry right off the bat. I wanted to get the nervousness of ppl possibly being scared or confronting me gone as soon as possible so that I would be comfortable OC in public. It made it a lot easier.

Carry it chambered or I woudl say don't bother.....I mean ask a cop if he carrys his service pistol unchambered for safety. He'll look at you liek your nuts. It's unsafe to carry it unchambered and safer chambered....that is for you the bad guy wont like it much haha.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I was wondering if anyone carrys their glock or other firearm (without external safety) unchambered? I have a couple glocks that I love but more often than not i find myself carrying the lc9 because i like the feeling of having the thumb safety engaged. I also feel that carrying a gun unchambered could put you in a difficult scenerio if you need it quickly. so i guess the question is does anyone carry unchambered?

:runaway:

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    With my Bersa 380 cc, I carry one in the chamber. There is a safety on the left side where my thumb can easily slide to dis-engage as I am drawing.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Always have a round in the chamber. If your gun is not ready to fire, whats the point in having it there. Might as well carry a hammer on a carpenters belt, because thats essentially what you have.

If you are worried about the gun going off, chamber a round at the range and lay it on the table facing down range. Stay there til it goes off. You might want to take a lunch with you as well, I heard this test can take awhile, haha. The gun wont go off in your holster either. Chamber a round, holster it up and go about your day.

Top Bottom