• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Sound logic. The issue with my prep is always the kids. Starving mom scenario mentioned above. That is a tough one. Can you save them all?? of course not.
    When I learned E&E it was a team thing and you paid a penalty for every failure. It is not easy. I am no Veteran but it is a lot like LURP's patrols. It is much easier done alone. It is not logical to drag families out on death marches.

To me E&E is all about survival of the family. I have to get back to mine, so I can at least die in their defense and not in some sewer or cornfield.

Or they can use it to hold tight until I come to find them.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Again, sound logic. I am lucky enough to have 2 or more healthy young men that have done some training and listen to reason. They are a part of our prep. My daughter is not someone you want to get into a shoot out with unless you are out of her range and the wife knows to keep a low profile so I am confident of them taking care of themselves should I have to venture out. There is a 5 yr. old grandchild so my soft spot for children runs very deep.

wlong0741

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2011
    Elkhart
    When you are bugging out, you don't want to stand out. You should stay away from heavily traveled roadways, stay away from urbanized areas, and travel light. I would suggest keeping your pack under 35 pounds. That's the Army's weight for 12 mile road marches. Its not an easy task to carry more than that over uneven terrain, especially with multiple weapons. Stick to one combat pistol and one multipurpose rifle in common calibers. I know you may like your 357 Sig, but 9mm, 40, and 45 are more common.
    You may be tempted to carry a ton of ammo, but keep it light. The goal is to not fire a shot. Therefore, carrying a few hundred rounds in 3 or 4 calibers are crazy.
    500 rounds of 22lr is small, light, and doesn't take much space in your BOB. 500 rounds of 308 is heavy, takes half the damn bag, and insane.
    Remember, you're surviving, not assaulting Baghdad.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Remember, you're surviving, not assaulting Baghdad.

But that's where the problem lays, we have some people that not only think that they will run into a flanking attack from both sides by a division sized force, they must also fight off the Zombie Apocalypse.

Hence my reasoning if I EVER have to leave my residence, I'll have a 30lb pack with needed supplies and ammo for my 9mm carbine and handgun. I want to be maneuverable enough to navigate terrain, but have the needed gear to survive and defend so I can evade. It's a fine line to tread and an even harder one if you make it worse by toting to many things.

I'm not a direct descendant of Sgt. York and I don't plan on turning into Snake Plisken.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    This whole thread really has me thinking. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a good two two wheeler at? If the shtf I really don't see the point in leaving anything behind so I will need away to move my safe. I got some camo burlap I can cover it with while I am walking down the street so I don't draw any unwanted attention.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    This whole thread really has me thinking. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a good two two wheeler at? If the shtf I really don't see the point in leaving anything behind so I will need away to move my safe. I got some camo burlap I can cover it with while I am walking down the street so I don't draw any unwanted attention.

I really hate to break the news to you, but....

If things have progressed bad enough that you feel the need to move an entire safe and it's contents.....

The party has all ready started and you're going to be the straggler that walks in the door that everybody see's.

Leave the safe, hide or bury what you can't take in an appropriate place and make yourself as unnoticeable as possible.

What is less visible, a guy walking down the street with a elephant trying to hide it, or the same guy just getting the heck out of dodge.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground

If things have progressed bad enough that you feel the need to move an entire safe and it's contents.....

The party has all ready started and you're going to be the straggler that walks in the door that everybody see's.

Leave the safe, hide or bury what you can't take in an appropriate place and make yourself as unnoticeable as possible.

What is less visible, a guy walking down the street with a elephant trying to hide it, or the same guy just getting the heck out of dodge.

Lol. I guess I should have type that in purple. After reading the entire thread I thought we were trying to see who could post the most ridiculous ideas. Sorry I will try to stay the course for now on.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette

I read that as sarcasm. Was I wrong?

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    The only place I would have to bug out from is work, and I work 7 miles from home. I WILL NOT be bugging out of my home. I'd rather die at home fighting to protect my farm than end of dying on the run.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned or not but there is the option of the Eberlestock bags which have a gun bag built in which can hold a long rifle with optic or magazine with ease and you can also molle on a shotgun scabbard making the bag effectively hold two long guns. I own one and have used it quite a bit and they're phenomenal bags. I actually have two and am selling one right now.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    If I actually had to leave the homestead or vehicle on foot, my firearms would be Glock 22 w/ 3 extra mags and a Nylon 66 with suppressor and 300 rounds.

The rest would be my UL backpacking gear plus or minus a few items depending on the season and other factors. A worn but sturdy Carhart brown coat, boots and earthtone jeans would make me look less threatening and/or interesting. I would be in a hurry to get to my destination and not be a "refugee" any longer than necessary.

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    Get a tank

I vote for this one!

In all seriousness why do you need three guns? You have to account for hte fact that you may not have access to fuel and you may need to march where you are going. In that case you are going to be limited to what you can carry. Pistol with a few extra mags and a long gun with as much ammo as you can carry. A good field knife and a multi-tool. Some para-cord and fire starting tools. WATER!!! Space blanket or two for making a shelter. Spare pair of wool socks, if your feet go you are screwed.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I vote for this one!

In all seriousness why do you need three guns? You have to account for hte fact that you may not have access to fuel and you may need to march where you are going. In that case you are going to be limited to what you can carry. Pistol with a few extra mags and a long gun with as much ammo as you can carry. A good field knife and a multi-tool. Some para-cord and fire starting tools. WATER!!! Space blanket or two for making a shelter. Spare pair of wool socks, if your feet go you are screwed.

Great points, and great idea of what to bring if you have to bug out. Granted, I would rather stay where I am, for as long as I can. Should not be too much a reason to bug out, but if you have to, like you said, a pistol, maybe and a rifle with as many rounds as you can carry. Also great point, if your feet go, you are screwed. So many people forget that, and will try to bug out with sneakers, or some well worn shoes/boots, and then they will be falling apart quickly and then you are screwed, unless you are one of the lucky few that can handle being barefoot. And I know that Im not one of them, lol

Top Bottom