• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Carmel Pd does use the meet the chief, as a way of delaying the process. I have several friends who were told the chief is on vac. So they had to wait for him to return. Funny thing is he must take ALOT of vac time. But just deal with the PROCESS and smile when getting the last step completed.

So just so I'm understanding, you think Chief Green is purposefully delaying the process in hopes that people simple forget about getting an LTCH?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    While some may want to delay it, what point does it serve? We are hearing about month, two month delays....again, what purpose does it serve? I've heard that some of the LE heads, both Chiefs, Marshals, and Sheriff's, have issues with the current system. There is a liability issue, and this is another mandate by the state. It isn't unfunded, since the locals are entitled to a portion of the fees. However, I can see where they are coming from. If the state wants to give out licenses, why doesn't the state just do the entire thing? Let the locals get $$ for a finger print card just so people don't have to drive miles to a state police post. However, once the finger print card is obtained, have the person mail their stuff to their local post, let some trooper do the background, then forward it downtown for the license to be issued.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What's the difference between LTCH and CCW?

A "CCW" is a "Carry Concealed Weapon" permit. The name implies that you may only carry concealed and is a permit to carry any weapon (such as a knife). An "LTCH" is a "License to Carry a Handgun". The name does not imply that you must carry concealed, and it is specifically for handgun carry only.

In Indiana, you are not required to conceal and you do not need a permit to carry a knife. Indiana has an LTCH. We do not have a CCW.

Many folks get upset when people correct folks for using improper terminology (and they're right about it being pedantic) but there is enough confusion about guns and gun laws as it is without using the wrong words to describe things.

xanderphillips

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    I got mine in Westfield several years ago and from what I recall all that I had to do was go to the public services office and fill out a form, pay some money, get some fingerprints taken (old school ink on card) and then a few weeks (maybe a month or so) later my LTCH came in the mail. Sounds like they are adding more pain to the process.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Years ago , when I lived in Plymouth, teh Chief kept the paperwork locked inhis office. You had to see him personally. And he only did LTCH's on Thursdays, from 1pm to 4 pm. I went every Thursday for 6 weeks, before I was able to actually catch him in the office. I'm sure that many people were discouraged by the process. When I went to get my lifetime license down here in Warren County, the clerk had the forms, which were already signed by the Sheriff, and the process took about 15 minutes.

ejm874

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NWI/Indy
    Shortly after I turned 18 I went to apply for my LTCH at my county sheriff's department. I pushed the little buzzer to get back to the offices and was asked by a secretary why I was there. I replied that I wanted to apply for my LTCH, at which time she asked me how old I was (there was a camera next to the button). I replied 18, and she stated that I wouldn't be permitted to apply without a parent present and a meeting with Sheriff.

Naturally I was a little surprised, so I told her that the law required none of the above. She replied that Sheriff had his policies and I could abide by them or forget it. I told her I would be back in a few months after NewSheriff took office (hoping Sheriff would lose; the election was in a few weeks and I didn't yet have a weapon to carry so it wasn't a huge deal at the time).

Went back shortly after NewSheriff was sworn in and completed the paperwork, no questions asked, and have been carrying since. Thumbs up to NewSheriff for doing it right. And thumbs down to OldSheriff for his red tape and snippy secretary.

flukose

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    A "CCW" is a "Carry Concealed Weapon" permit. The name implies that you may only carry concealed and is a permit to carry any weapon (such as a knife). An "LTCH" is a "License to Carry a Handgun". The name does not imply that you must carry concealed, and it is specifically for handgun carry only.

In Indiana, you are not required to conceal and you do not need a permit to carry a knife. Indiana has an LTCH. We do not have a CCW.

Many folks get upset when people correct folks for using improper terminology (and they're right about it being pedantic) but there is enough confusion about guns and gun laws as it is without using the wrong words to describe things.

Thank you very much sir.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Come on Scutter, a CCW is a concealed carry WEAPON!! A CCW PERMIT is just that! Get it straight!
    And a clip is not a magazine, and a magazine is not a clip!:rockwoot::D

Just playing,:p

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Wow, when I did mine (mishawaka) I just stopped in, filled out the papers, paid $50 and an officer was called in to print us real quick. came back in a week, picked up an envalope and mailed it.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Years ago , when I lived in Plymouth, teh Chief kept the paperwork locked inhis office. You had to see him personally. And he only did LTCH's on Thursdays, from 1pm to 4 pm. I went every Thursday for 6 weeks, before I was able to actually catch him in the office. I'm sure that many people were discouraged by the process. When I went to get my lifetime license down here in Warren County, the clerk had the forms, which were already signed by the Sheriff, and the process took about 15 minutes.

Who are you to imply an LEO would use his power to impede the process?

We know that is never done especially in Carmel. :rolleyes:

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    In Madison county, I simply did the online application, went to the L1 Location (it was on 10th street) on a Monday morning followed by the Madison County Sherrifs building (the jail) and 5 days later I had my pink slip! The lady in the office was real friendly at the Sheriffs office as well.

Top Bottom